Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

update on my slippage

Thanks to encouragement from many of you -- I got a second opinion about my slippage. I went to the world-famous band surgeon Dr. Ponce (banded FDA trials and beyond).

Turns out it is not a little slippage as my surgeon suggested. But a significant one. He called it "anterior slippage." He explained that food just sits on top of the band instead of going through it. No wonder I've been so miserable!

He also said I had more fill than I thought -- 3.2 cc's (after three fills). My surgeon's office said I had 2.0??? Go figure. He took it all out to avoid any further complications, which I'm glad he did.

The bad part is I was forced into self-pay after insurance denied my claims post-surgery. So, I don't know how this will play out in terms of insurance coverage. I'm hoping I'll get a much-deserved break on that front.

Dr. Ponce said I shouldn't wait too long -- 2 to 3 months. To be honest, I'm thinking about having my band removed....what if it slips again after I have it fixed???!!!

Anyhoo -- one thing at a time. We'll tackle insurance; I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

When all is said and done, I'd still do it again. And newbies, please, if you feel too restricted...get an unfill. If you vomit frequently (more than once a week -- especially if it's more than a PB-like upchuck -- a gut wrenching kind of barf) pay attention! If there's an urge to unload after something gets stuck, bear it. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd work a heck of a lot harder to adhere to the rules. (Chewing and small bites remain challenges!) A little slip can lead to a real one!

Will keep you posted on my saga.

Elizabeth

8/28/03

Elizabeth -

I am so sorry to hear your slip is a bigger deal than you initially thought. Is it beyond possibility that it would repair itself with your unfill? I know some can correct themselves that way. If not, you want to be especially mindful of how you are feeling - a slippage that doesn't fix itself can quickly turn into obstruction, particularly if you have a vomiting episode, or an irritation that results in swelling. Please go carefully.

As far as possibly having the band removed, I don't think your re-slippage chances increase if you just have it fixed - and knowing what you do now, you can probably avoid the behaviours that helped it slip the first time. However, I do think that repair of slippage falls into Inamed's "revision" category, so your chance of erosion may be increased.

If it were me, I probably would just have the slip repaired and keep my band, since it's in there already. If for whatever reason they are not able to repair it right then, but have to remove it to let the stomach recover before they reband you I'd have to think harder about that. If I could afford it, I probably would get rebanded, even with the possible increased risk of erosion.

But these are all things you have to think about, and I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Thanks, Donali. All good things to consider. Dr. Ponce didn't seem to think it would slip back into place. (My recollection is he said that can occur when the issue is more of a slip because of an enlarged pouch...or a slighter slip.) But, it's worth taking another look in a month or two before I schedule surgery.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry to hear about your slippage. I am new to this site and I didnt read anything on what is going on with you. how long have you been like this?

I have been banded for 7 weeks and I pb almost everythime I eat. I eat slow and I chew chew chew, this sucks, maybe you can give me some insite! To day I ate and did not PB once,, thank goodness. I am getting scared!! All the advice I got was to go on liqujids for a few days, and I do that, but I pb all over again when I start eating.... I paid cash for my surgery and I want to do everything right,,,,,,,, help

I am going to call my Dr and I want to go and see him and see if I need a fill and to see if everthing is where it should be.

I too wish you the best of luck with your decision,,,,

:) Francesca

Francesca -

If you are already PBing, you do NOT NOT NOT NOT need a fill! You are already too restricted! Or not eating properly!

If you have no problems tolerating liquids, but cannot tolerate real food, then you must take teeny tiny teeny tiny bites, and chew them to smithereens so that they are LIKE liquid. Go SLOWLY. Put your fork down between tiny bites and count to 20 before taking another bite.

Good luck, and whatever you do, you MUST find a way to stop vomiting. Really.

Donali,

your the best! I hope that I can meet you someday soon!

thank you for the advice.

I am having no problem drinking or eating Soup.. its just when I eat real food.maybe I am eating to fast or not chewing enough,, I thought I was. I will try harder tomrrow!! this sucks it really is a bummer.... I just want to feel good... I hate to admit it, but sometimes when I eat I am in a hurry.. I try to chew chew chew , maybe its just not enough!!!

why am I making this so hard? I am very bummed about this.

thank you as always,

Francesca

oh yeah I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks, I go up and down.. what is that about? I am eating very little and half of that comes back up.... boooo hoooooo

Francesca, I agree with Donali, no fill if you're still so restricted post-surgery. Some band patients don't need fills for a long time. Definitely tell your Dr. about your symptoms. After seven weeks, you should be able to tolerate some solid foods -- and if everything is working as it's supposed to and you're doing your part (chewing, small bites) -- which you are -- you should not be PB'ing.

Keep us posted.

Elizabeth

Francesca -

Elizabeth has the best advice. I think you really do need to see your doc.

I know it is hard to make enough time to have a meal, but you are worth it, and you HAVE to make enough time. You HAVE to find a way not to be rushed.

You may be one of those who needs to be on liquids even longer. If you cannot tolerate solids, can you stay full and satisfied on thick liquids? You're probably not getting in enough calories at the moment. Try doing Protein shakes for a few days.

Good luck!

Fransesca when you PB do you continue to eat? I know from Dr Orti'z instructions once you PB you need to go on liquids for atleast 24 hours to let the stomach settle and rest. Are you trying to eat after you PB? If so this could be why you cant get anything down becasue the stomach and band are irritated. If you are PBing after letting your sotmach rest, I would not fool around and call Dr Ortiz. Not being able to eat after 7 weeks doesnt seem normal. Just my thoughts :)

Originally posted by La_madam

I know from Dr Orti'z instructions once you PB you need to go on liquids for atleast 24 hours to let the stomach settle and rest.

I've never heard this before, have many other people heard it from their doctors? Once in a while I PB if I'm not following the rules (usually because I'm in a hurry and don't take my time eating), but I don't go on liquids for 24 hours afterwards. Should I be doing that?

I wasn't told that by my doc, but that seems to be the accepted advice from other boards by people who've been banded a long time.

It makes sense, and doesn't hurt, so I pass that recommendation on as well.