Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considerin Surgery In Mexico....?

I had my surgery in Mexico on 05/23/12.

I can say, if you hang around this forum for a while, you'll notice that there is typically less "problems" with surgeries that are performed in Mexico.

Less complaints of pain, Less need for medications.

The top dozen or so surgeons in Mexico have thousands of surgeries to each of their credits, a few of them actually teach American surgeons the procedure.

I personally would rather have mine done in Mexico.

These surgeries are almost always done as a package in Mexico.

The two things that I would concentrate on if I were you(and I was you afew months ago) are. , do your research, find which doctor(s) you are comfortable with.

Then compare facilities, packages, and prices.

For me, price is always a factor. I believe that you get what you pay for only to a certain point, then you're paying for a name.

My first choice was Dr. Aceves, he has an impeccable reputation & works out of one of the best facilities, but he charges 8750.

After doing more research I found dr. Ponce de leon, his resume is equally impressive uses a great facility,not the newest, but well maintained & up to date. His packagewas very similar w/a little less "hand holding" and was 5500. This was the one I chose.

There are may options in Mexico and I have even seen sleeve prices in the last few days as low as 4100.

The price difference is usually due to facility & accommodations.

OTR Sleever,

Thanks for making those points. I had started to take notice of the complaints. I'm excited about my upcoming surgery in September

I was originally planning on going to Tijuana and have the surgery with Dr. Kelly but quickly changed to going to Cancun, Mexico instead. Dr. Hector Perez is my surgeon and I am going through alma w/Ready4AChange. My surgery is scheduled for August 25th.

2 nights at the hospital, 2 nights in a luxury hotel on the ocean..can't beat that!!!

My insurance didn't cover it either and was saving up for the lapband which costs $12,000 from the surgeon in Florida, thankfully I did some online research and decided to go to Mexico and am paying $5450 and have a surgeon who has a lot of experience, will be in a hospital and not a surgical center and looking forward to it.

I'm even going alone, more afraid of that than anything else and it isn't because it is Mexico, if I was flying to NYC alone it would still make me nervous LOL

I am in Florida also so I much prefer to fly just a little over an hour direct to Cancun than a 6 hr flight to San Diego.< /p>

Good luck!!!

Faith,

I'm having my surgery on Sept. 25th also! Best of luck to you; I will be thinking of you. Cancun is so lovely. I envy you being able to see the lovely blue water; that will be so relaxing. It does make a lot more sense than flying 6 hours to CA! I am in TX so the flight to CA will only be 3 1/2 hours to me.

Sheila

Check out Dr. Alvarez at Endobariatrics.com. He sleeved me and he is awesome.

Faith' date='

I'm having my surgery on Sept. 25th also! Best of luck to you; I will be thinking of you. Cancun is so lovely. I envy you being able to see the lovely blue water; that will be so relaxing. It does make a lot more sense than flying 6 hours to CA! I am in TX so the flight to CA will only be 3 1/2 hours to me.

Sheila[/quote']

I am having surgery on sept 25 with aceves :) good luck sleeve sister

I had surgery with Dr. Almanza on July 9 and couldn't be happier. In fact, mine was a revision from lapband to sleeve and I had an excellent experience. I had very little pain following the surgery. I found the recovery house (which is staffed with nurses around the clock) to be very comfortable. The rest of the staff was very responsive and helpful.

You will have people telling you to disregard doctors who use recovery houses or otherwise have different processes from what THEIR doctor does. Don't be swayed by that. Do your research and choose what works for you. Know, also, that just because someone charges more does not mean that they are necessarily a better doctor.

whoops -- my surgery is on the 26,