Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

-Sniff- Double Rejected!

So i called the hospital I want my surgery at, John T. Mather, and they said they didn't accept my medicaid/fidelis insurance, but they wouldn't take me anyway because i'm 16 T_____T. Saddest day ever, but I'm going to call another hospital in riverhead they referred me to, and if not that one, a special adolescent bariatric surgery center in the city. (I really don't want to go too far away :<) Whats the difference between now and two years when i'm 18? Nothing! thats what. Maybe i'll be sicker then -sigh- im in a depressed mood

The difference between now and when you are 18 is probably right now you are a minor and when you turn 18 an adult...

Do you have your parents support??

yeah, my moms helping me with all the stuff.& age is but a number!

I used Dr. Collin Brathwaite for my surgery. His office is located in Patchogue and the surgery was done at Winthrop Hospital in Mineola. I could be wrong, but I thought one of his patients in my support group said that she was 16. I will give you their office number. It is 631-475-1900. All of my Doctors said they would recommend Dr. Brathwaite for the surgery. Every time I spoke of wanting the surgery to one of my Doctors, they said Dr. Brathwaite is the one. I know many people that have used him too. My surgery went great! Good luck sweetie.

Maybe i'll be sicker then

I'm curious. What illness do you have?

I have a couple of children that I feel would benefit from this, but I simply don't believe they are ready to handle the responsibility something like this brings.

My son is 19 and it diabetic he is not overweight, but that is only because he has abused his medications to flush fat out of his system. He won't eat properly or even close to reasonably

My daughter will be 16 on 11/02 and to be honest, she is just very immature for her age. She is obeseb and doesn't handle responsibility very well.

I'm sorry that things are hard. I know that it seems like it's silly that only two years makes a difference, but it really does. It must seem like forever right now, but your body is still maturing and growing. I wouldn't have believed me either at your age, but generally people wait for surgery until they are over 18 both because they are legally and adult and because some surgeries can affect how you are growing and developing. Plus, this is a lot to handle. It sounds super easy, but at 16 I know I would never have been ready to make a decision like this, let alone handle the long term implications. I would have sworn up and down that I could, but it's hard to really understand, even at 18, the risks and long term effects of surgery. It's a very big decision to handle, even for me at 25.

I am not an expert, so I can't say for this specific surgery, but I would think that the surgeon's do know what they are comfortable doing and not doing for a reason.

(((((HUG)))) No matter what happens, hang in there and we will be here for you =)

I know how you feel. When I was 16 I tried to pursue WLS and I wasn't able to have it. I was going to have the band, I found a surgeon who was even willing to take me even though I was under 18 but insurance wouldn't approve it. I know it sucks but looking back now I don't think I was quite mature enough for it. I began to pursue it again when I was 18 an for other reasons didn't do it then, though I REALLY wish I did when I was 18.

I originally went through mount sini in Manhattan and dr Kini took me on when I was 16. You may want to look into him, he was very nice and he accepts Medicaid (I had medicaid/Health First) Good luck!

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. Sending good vibes your way. I think age is just a number when taking into consideration maturity.

I think that I would let my daughter have this surgery at 16 if she showed me how responsible she was. i would make her begin the rituals of Protein first, Vitamins, meal planning, exercising months before surgery so that I could see if she was ready.

Good luck to you hun.

I used Dr. Collin Brathwaite for my surgery. His office is located in Patchogue and the surgery was done at Winthrop Hospital in Mineola. I could be wrong, but I thought one of his patients in my support group said that she was 16. I will give you their office number. It is 631-475-1900. All of my Doctors said they would recommend Dr. Brathwaite for the surgery. Every time I spoke of wanting the surgery to one of my Doctors, they said Dr. Brathwaite is the one. I know many people that have used him too. My surgery went great! Good luck sweetie.

Thank you so much i'll look into it! :) it's so difficult to find a surgeon out there who accepts teens

I'm curious. What illness do you have?

I have a couple of children that I feel would benefit from this, but I simply don't believe they are ready to handle the responsibility something like this brings.

My son is 19 and it diabetic he is not overweight, but that is only because he has abused his medications to flush fat out of his system. He won't eat properly or even close to reasonably

My daughter will be 16 on 11/02 and to be honest, she is just very immature for her age. She is obeseb and doesn't handle responsibility very well.

Hey i defiantly get your point, sometimes I think I shouldn't be doing this either. When I was younger I told myself that if I turned 20 and still didn't lose weight I would get surgery, i never wanted to have surgery honestly I know how serious it is. These days my back hurts everyday in school, and I can't do as well in the sports I love (swimming and track) because my weight really holds me back in all aspects of my life. I don't sleep well . I have asthma, i've suffered from depression because of a Vitamin D deficiency (SAD), and I just don't feel well in general on an everyday basis. I decided I wanted this when I started thinking, how much is my life worth right now?I really understand this will affect my daily life forever even after the weight is gone