Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stupid ? about vomiting

I keep forgetting to go over this with my surgeon. But does anyone know at about what time frame you are in the clear for band-slippage due to vomiting? Also with such a small hole to pass though, how does the vomit get out from the lower stomach area.....is it a much bigger ordeal than before the band? This is something I've been pondering/worrying about for awhile now. Thanks-Brian

Dont know about what it's actually like, despite several episodes of gastro through our household since I was banded, I only caught it once (2 days after I got home from hospital) and managed to stave off actual vomiting with medication.

But I think vomiting is ALWAYS a risk with the band, there's no time after which it becomes safe. Of course it happens all the time and people dont slip their bands each and every time but its always a risk.

I agree, vomiting is always a risk. We all do it, but I think it depends on how intense the contractions are.

I suppose it's always a "danger" but not something that will absolutely slip your band. I vomited - dry heaves, anyway - just hours after I was banded and it didn't damage anything. I have a VERY touchy tummy/band and my band will tighten up like a virgin on prom night if I get the least bit upset. My DH is constantly apologizing because he said/did something that kept my dinner from staying down. On the lighter side, he told me he was going to buy me a banana split, then talk bad about my family. That way, he would have to eat it for me. He's banded too and the amazing thing is, we dont spit up the same foods. He can eat noodles and I can't. I can eat prime rib and he has major trouble with it. Same with boiled shrimp...it's on my menu, but not his.

my band will tighten up like a virgin on prom night if I get the least bit upset.

;) Hehehehehehe, very funny comparison:D

I don't think there is a time frame. I think this will probably always be an issue for the Banded. The only thing we can do is to mitigate it with meds and/or your favorite homeopathic remedy like ginger.

I've recently had all my fill removed because of all the dry-heaves from my Cushing's Low phases. I was worried that I was going to slip, but I'm able to better control the nausia with the Zofran ODT tabs than the phengren.

:) Hehehehehehe, very funny comparison:D

Yeah I must agree. ;) :biggrin1:

I think its crazy when some people's bands slip when they never vomit or PB at all? What is up with that?? What causes their band to slip then?

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/167/160

5'7''

The band is sutured to muscle so it's pretty secure. I have had the flu and vomited and all is well with the band. Slippage is always a possibility and there is never a "time" when that possibility lessens. With the newer surgical techniques, slippage is occurring less.

Also with such a small hole to pass though, how does the vomit get out from the lower stomach area.....is it a much bigger ordeal than before the band?

When you vomit, you generate a fairly good negative intra-thoracic pressure so no, it's not harder to vomit from the stomach through the pouch. However, don't confuse vomiting associated with the flu with a productive burp. In THAT instance, the food is in the stoma and can't pass into the stomach. Peristalsis is the act of moving food down and mucous aides in that process. So, some people bring up slime while others bring up the food in the pouch. Because the food in the pouch has not mixed with stomach acids, it's only partially digested.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.

LMAO......thanks for the reply and laugh, I needed that! Seems like you have a great outlook about this. Strange though, I didn't know that there could be such a wide range of tollerable foods between lap-banders. Thanks again for the insight, it's greatly appreciated!-Brian

Elisabeth-WOW, now that's a wealth of information and exactly the answers I was looking for! Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated!!!-Brian

Elisabeth-WOW, now that's a wealth of information and exactly the answers I was looking for! Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated!!!-Brian

Glad I could assist. :-)