Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When To Tell A Supervisor

So I'm about half way through my 6 month process. I'm expecting to be sleeved around November with the intent of taking all my pto at that time, just 2 weeks then back to work. I have not ever mentioned wls at work and I'm just wondering how and when to broach the subject w/ my supervisor. She's a great mentor and everything but the environment is full of women and it's very high school. I mean she can deny my pto request I guess. I'd just like to have some sort of plan before i just go blurting it out or screwing everything up because it's a busy office and people will have to cover my job when I'm not there. I have under a year there so I don't qualify for FMLA and I'm not putting my life off anymore for this weight. when it comes to stuff like this i get all jittery.

Just consider it a regular request. Since you are requesting pto I would just put in the request and leave one enough alone. You don't owe anyone any explanations. If you don't want to be too obvious start small changes now.

What do you mean you don't qualify for FMLA? ISn't that a federal thing and everyone is entitled to so much per year before they can officially post your job? That sounds not right but maybe I'm wrong. Because I was going to say that it's none of their business why you're off of work if it's FMLA.

As a supervisor, she should respect your right to privacy. You're right to want to tell her in advance, and that shows maturity on your part, and respect for your coworkers. I can't advise you exactly on the timing, but I told my supervisors about two months out (since our schedule is not 9-5) and told my coworkers two weeks out. That being said, if your six-month process is one that has to start over if you miss an appointment, and you think there is a chance of someone sabotaging that process, you might wait until you have approval and then tell her. Adjusting a surgery date is much easier than starting over. When you finally DO tell her, be confident in your tone. You KNOW it's the right thing to do, that attitude should come through in your conversation. I think your decisiveness will impress your boss. I received nothing but encouragement from my bosses and coworkers (save one) but I don't work with a bunch of high school mentality folks. (JUNIOR High sometimes... ;) )

I think one of the rules of FMLA is that you have to be employed there for a year at least that was my understanding

That is correct. There are some other stipulations as well. How long have you been working there? Are you past any probationary period? If not, bear in mind an employer needs NO REASON to fire you if you are in probationary status. If that is true, it may be worth putting it off a few months.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf

Yes your rt about being employed for a year and not only that you have to have completed so many hours .. So if your not full time that would affected u as well .. But I agree w everyone else just but in as pto ..

I think one of the rules of FMLA is that you have to be employed there for a year at least that was my understanding

No- I'm using it so it either is in place immediately OR at the discretion of your employer. I have a hard time believing its not in place right away. I can see the employer not providing paid time off.

@Justine13 - If you're using it and have less than a year, that's great! You clearly have a good employer who's going above the requirements of the law. But legally, FMLA requires 1 year service AND at least 1,250 hours worked in that year AND the employer must have at least 50 employees within 75 miles. There's nothing in the FMLA act that requires them to give you PAID leave beyond what you're entitled to otherwise, they just cannot fire you for taking the time off. You still must use sick leave, vacation days, PTO, or whatever you have to avoid losing pay for the time you are off.

Here's the deal - there is a lot of misinformation on here that I don't want to dispute. The best thing you could do is talk to your boss. I'm a supervisor and work for the government and can tell you this is exactly what I would want from an employee. Another option would to consider contacting Human resources anonymously and inquire more about what's in place. Good luck ;)

for me its a little complicated. I began working there in october as a temp. paid by a contract company, they brought me in full time in April. my company uses adp for their HR. going to have to check the employee handbook. last time i read it, it wasn't all that helpful.

I work in HR. In order to qualify you have to be employed for one year and have worked 1,250 hours in the preceding year. Since OP has not been employed for one year she doesn't qualify. I agree you should go see you HR rep in case you need to be out longer. Be careful some companies have rules about working with restrictions. For example at my company the Receptionist has to be able to lift 50lbs. The company policy required she remain off until there were no restrictions. My doctor had me on 10 lb lifting restrictions for 8 weeks. If I had mentioned my surgery I would have been required to supply a doctors note. In other words in some cases the less information shared the better. At least in my case.

I figured I would be done with the approval in January and hopefully have a date in February. I plan on telling my job in February and take my sick days to cover being out for surgery. They give you 10 sick days a year so I will be in the beginning. I will tell the supervisor but tell her its a personal. I am like you...working in a office full of women. I don't want everyone gossiping!

I feel it will work out .. If it comes done to it u might have to tell her .. Hey what do they say if u not getting talk about u not important (sense of humor ) but real talk u don't want everyone to no but they will soon after Q your weightloss you'll be surprise how supportive ppl could be when your honest

You could tell your boss that you are having surgery, but you do not feel comfortable talking about the type of surgery that you're going to be having. Or that when you're ready to tell her you will. Or just tell her you have a medical procedure scheduled and need time off. Or just put in for the paid time off. There are a lot of options. You don't have to feel like you're backed into a corner and have to tell her. If you want to though, that works too =)