Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You want maximum results? Look here....

‘How to Lose 22lbs or 10kgs in 28 Days Without Starving or Training Like an Olympic Athlete!'

By Stephen Smith BSc

If you seriously want to lose 22lbs or 10 kilograms in 28 days then you must perform all of the principles exactly as recommended. Unlike the recommendations in my book, ‘Look good, feel great!', where you can pick the principles you want to use and ignore the rest and where you can even modify the principles to suit your lifestyle, these principles must be followed exactly as they are outlined. If you want extraordinary results, then you must be willing to put in an extraordinary effort!

I realise that some people may be thinking, ‘But it is impossible to lose 10 kilograms of fat in a month!' I agree- it is! However, the truth is, it is impossible to only lose fat on any type of weight-loss program. You will always lose a combination of fat, Water, stored carbohydrate and some muscle.

Furthermore, most people who want to lose 10 kilograms in the first place are generally retaining excess Fluid anyway, so a system that helps get rid of the excess fluid is certainly going to accelerate their results.

Perform 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise morning and night.

Yes, you read that correctly, morning and night- 2 sessions a day… every day! No excuses. We're all busy, we all feel tired some mornings, but if you're serious about getting amazing results, then you must be willing to do everything necessary.

When we talk about aerobic exercise, we're talking about exercise! Not walking around the shops, doing the gardening or doing housework. It must be exercise, which means your breathing rate increases, your face goes red, you sweat, you get tired- simple!

Some examples of aerobic exercise include: walking (pounding the pavement at a brisk pace- not dawdling), cycling (stationary bike is ideal), swimming, rowing, stepper, cross-trainer, aerobic classes, boxing, etc.

Use ‘thermogenics'.

There are several very effective thermogenic supplementson the market that can accelerate your progress towards your goal. Those containing caffeine, green tea extracts and an extract from a plant called coleus forskohlii are the most effective. They will boost your metabolismand promote the release of fat from the fat stores. ‘Scorch' by MAN Sports is a good example. It contains a combination of 7 powerful herbal ingredients specifically designed to boost your metabolism, burn body fat and increase your energy.

Unfortunately though, thermogenics are not ‘magic pills'. You can't expect to take a couple of thermogenic capsules and then go home and eat pizza and drink alcohol and expect to get results. Thermogenics only work when their use is combined with a good nutrition and exercise program.

Take 1-2 capsules twice a day; once prior to your morning exercise session and once with your lunch. Don't take them later than 4:00pm in the afternoon because they may keep you awake at night.

Before using thermogenics, see your doctor first and obtain their approval.

Do not eat anything for 30 minutes after the completion of any exercise.

As a result of using the thermogenics combined with the exercise, your metabolism will remain elevated for some time after the exercise session is finished. This means your body will burn fuel at a faster rate than normal.

Any exercise causes the body to use carbohydrate (muscle glycogen and blood glucose) as a fuel source. This means that after the exercise is completed the carbohydrate stores in the body are low and the body will be forced to use fat as its fuel.

If a meal is eaten immediately after the completion of the exercise session, the blood glucose level will rise, inducing the secretion of insulin from the pancreas. One of the effects of insulin is to stop fat burning in the body. Therefore, wait 30 minutes (but no longer because cortisol will rise) before having your next meal.

Perform a weight training workout 2-4 times a week.

Lifting weights is the most under-estimated way to lose fat fast! Now, before you start saying, ‘But I don't want to get big muscles!' or ‘I don't want to look like a man!', consider the following.

The main purpose of lifting weights when your primary goal is to lose body fat is to preserve the muscle massyou already have. You see, muscle is the ‘engine' within which the fat, or ‘fuel' is burnt and maintaining or even increasing your muscle mass slightly will help ensure your body fat is burnt off efficiently.

If you don't lift weights, your body will quite happily lose both fat and muscle as you drop the kilos. Lifting weights forces your body to maintain your muscle mass, therefore keeping your metabolism elevated and turning your body into 24-hour-a-day fat-burning machine!

Incidentally, it only takes two 30 minute sessions a week to obtain the muscle preserving benefits of lifting weights.

Have 5-6 small meals a day.

One of the most common strategies people use to lose weight is to skip meals. Whilst reducing food intake is certainly an effective way to lose weight, having fewer meals is not the way to go. Many overweight people say, ‘I don't know why I'm overweight, I only eat once or twice a day!' Unfortunately, this is exactly why they are overweight.

Having a mild calorie restriction is effective because if you consume less calories than you burn each day you will lose weight- simple! However, skipping meals forces the body to invoke its ‘Starvation Mechanism' because it thinks it is entering a famine. As a result, the body slows the metabolism to preserve energy. It also increases cortisol output and cortisol is the most powerful catabolic hormone in the body, which means it goes around the body breaking down lean tissue, particularly muscle. A loss of muscle slows the metabolism even further. Skipping meals also results in an increase in appetite, which forces you to eat larger amounts of food when you do eat. In addition to all these factors, the body also increases the activity of fat-storing enzymes, lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and fatty acid synthase (FAS), so when you do eat the food gets stored as fat. All of this results from simply skipping meals!

By having a small meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day, your metabolism stays elevated and your body will happily burn fat all day long. Unfortunately though, most people are conditioned to having large meals and they automatically assume they will put on weight if they have 5 or 6 meals a day. The fact is, the ideal portion sizes for most people are actually quite small and in order to lose weight fast it is essential that you never feel full from a meal but you do feel satisfied.

Also, most people find it difficult to have a meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day because they are so busy with work and/ or family commitments. Here are some suggestions to ensure you get your 5 or 6 meals a day.

• Plan and prepare your meals the night before

• Use Meal Replacements (Protein shakes or bars)

• Select foods that are quick and easy to prepare and consume

Ensure each meal contains Protein.

Protein is a component of all cells and makes up over half the dry weight of the human body. Furthermore, the human body is a dynamic structure, which means it is constantly building up and breaking down tissue. Just imagine a bath full of water. At one end of the bath the plug is pulled out and at the other end the tap is turned on full. The water level in the bath doesn't change but there are ‘new' water molecules entering the bath and ‘old' water molecules leaving the bath all the time. The human body is exactly the same. If the body breaks down more tissue than it builds up, then it is said to be in a catabolic state. This results in the metabolism slowing down due to the loss of muscle tissue.

Having a portion of high-quality protein every few hours throughout the day provides the body with a constant supply of amino acids- the building blocks of the body. This prevents the catabolic state, promotes an anabolic state (tissue building) and therefore keeps the metabolism ‘fired-up'.

If only carbohydrate or fat is consumed for a meal, for example a piece of fruit (carbohydrate) for the mid-morning meal, then the body will still enter a catabolic state because it doesn't have the building blocks (amino acids) to re-build body tissues. Protein, as its name suggests, is of primary importance.

Reduce your intake of high-density carbohydrates.

Most high-density carbohydrates like bread, Pasta, rice and cereals cause a rapid rise in blood glucose. This invokes the release of insulin from the pancreas, which in turn stores the glucose. The body stores glucose in the muscles and liver as glycogen and once these sites are full, the remaining glucose gets stored as body fat. Not only this, but insulin also stops the body from mobilising and utilising fat for fuel (burning fat).

So if you want to maximise fat loss, you need to keep insulin to a minimum and the best way to do this is by reducing your intake of starchy carbohydrates without cutting them out altogether. Cutting them out totally is a philosophy of many low-carb diets on the market. However, these are very hard to sustain long-term and may lead to nutrient deficiencies.

Each day, have a small amount (1-2 serves) of high density carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, cereals); a moderate amount (2-3 serves) of medium density carbohydrates (starchy vegetables and fruits); and a large amount (5-6 serves) of low density carbohydrates (fibrous vegetables). [For a complete list of carbohydrates, see pages 136-138 of the book, ‘ Look good, feel great! ]

Do not have a Treat Day.

Since you are expecting an extraordinary result, it is essential that you put in an extraordinary effort. Accordingly, for the next 28 days you must follow the plan exactly as it is outlined without deviating. This means you can't allow yourself to indulge in any ‘forbidden foods'. This also means avoiding alcohol for the entire 28-day period. I know this may be hard for some people but let's face it, it is only for 28 days!

By committing to the plan and disciplining yourself to see it through, you are ensuring that the results will follow. Plus, the disciplines you create to help you achieve your physical goal will have a ‘carry-over benefit' to other areas of your life as well.

I wish you the greatest success in achieving outstanding results!

* Before using any nutritional supplement, speak with your health care professional.

Thanks for the advice, If you didn't lose 20#'s in a month after all that, you should have something checked! HA! I did the two a day thing for awhile and the weights. Everytime I get to that level or that much exercise I substain some sort of injury. 3 stress fractures in 2 years! Most of the people on this site are probably not ready for that type of program from a cold turkey start...?? I am walking 4 times a week for 40 minutes.

I want to get an eliptical to help with the impact on my joints.

I do practically everything this article states. I workout 2 - 3 hours per day, an hour in the morning and an hour or more at night. I weight train 3xs per week. I take Lipo6 and used to take hydroxycut. I had 5-6 meals per day and I cut out carbs that were high in density. I lost 85lbs in 5 months doing this. I am banded and i recently had my first fill, less than 2 weeks ago. 8lbs gone since the fill but the rest was me, on my own doing this regimine.

I do some of the things listed, but 2-3 hours of workout a day :psyduck: thats crazy where do you find the time? I can get in an hour max.

I am almost down 80 pounds in 3 months though so what I'm doing can't be bad :)

*edit*

No carbs, I do weight resistance 3 times a week, cardio 2 times a week, I eat 4-6 small meals a day, and I take iso-Protein cassine with Breakfast every morning. I also take chewable supplements daily.

I'm interested in the thermogenics, are you sure it's not just a snake-oil supplement because I heard that hydroxycut was.

Well if you find that you have time..in the evening to watch 2 - 5 hours of tv or play on the internet.....then you have the time.

You are doing great but just reminding you that your starting weight was fairly high. The higher the weight, the more you lose faster in the beginning.

yeah I know, most nights I'm working on homework or going to the gym.

3 hours of aerobics would be hell though.

38 pounds from goal :confused:

the % fat is a better guide then going off of beginning weight, its all relative to the person. I might have started out at 334 but I'll be average/fit at 220 due to the amount of lean mass I started out with. This is not the same for small framed people and/or women.

I don't find the reasoning to be that I started at a higher weight, but that I'm a young large framed male that is pretty active.

*edit

I had the doctor messure my lean mass on my tuesday checkup and I'm around 170-175 still, which is a tad higher than I started out with.

Well if you find that you have time..in the evening to watch 2 - 5 hours of tv or play on the internet.....then you have the time.

You are doing great but just reminding you that your starting weight was fairly high. The higher the weight, the more you lose faster in the beginning.

It's funny what we can find the time for if we are truly committed to something.

I follow a very similar routine to the one above although I have not split my workouts to morning and night. I plan to start riding my bike and doing aerobic activity in the a.m. as it is getting darker earlier and then weight training and swimming at the gym in the evening when it is dark.

So far...most of the exercise I have done is still riding my bike. I do it religously and I follow my diet almost to perfection. I eat carbs though...lots of them....almost 60% of my diet comes from carbs....but they are complex carbs like lima Beans, brown rice, vegetables etc.

I think I am doing pretty good so far.....still a long way to go but my progress has been steady and my resolve has not wavered in the slightest.

Knock on wood. :guess

Thanks Telly,

I printed this article out. I'm going to try this. I only work out once a day for 45 minutes on my stationary bike or treadmill. I do this 4 - 5 times a week. I know I have to increase that. This article does make sense. You lost a lot of weight in such a short period of time. That's awesome.

Doing this means I would have to wake up in the morning at 5 a.m. and start working out by 5:15. I leave for work at 7a.m.

I'm not making excuses, I just don't know if I could find the time to work out twice a day. I would like to try though.

Thank you for sharing.

I really think if you WANT to lose the weight, you'll find the time to throw in exercise at every possible moment. For me, usually this means following the path of most resistance - taking the stairs, walking across campus instead of driving, every 3 hours take a 15 minute break where I power-walk at work, ride my bike to work (it's only 8 bike miles to work), sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair, etc. In addition, I'll do an hour of exercise a day. But recently I've picked up a sweet tooth habit. This has slowed my weight loss to about a pound a week. The sweets make SUCH a difference!

I'm not sure about the thermogentics. My doctor says absolutely no caffiene. It's bad for the heart and can be stressful on the body. I would think that the exercise and weights and diet changes would be enough. What does everyone else think?

I'm not sure about the thermogentics. My doctor says absolutely no caffiene. It's bad for the heart and can be stressful on the body. I would think that the exercise and weights and diet changes would be enough. What does everyone else think?

If you ask 10 doctors of their opinion on caffeine...you will get 10 different opinions.

Many studies show several positive effects of caffeine while others show negative effects.

I myself don't use any kind of thermogenic anymore...I have tried them but I think you are right...the diet and exercise is the secret weapon...most thermogenics secret ingredient is a diuretic which shows a quick initial weight loss for first time users and they start thinking it's a magic drug.

i currently excerise every morning along with weight lifting, and i have been thinking about doing something in the evenings, now after reading this article i think i will add the extra workout. however, i am going to stay away from the caffeine and eating 5-6 times a day. i eat 2-3 meals a day and right now that is enough for me, right now i'm at a 93 pound loss, so right now i'm doing good.

Good for you tann! That's the spirit, 2 workouts per day, 30 - 45 min in the morning and 30 - 45 min in the evening.

I use Lipo6 but have been off of it for a few weeks during my recovery but I will get back on it once my intense workouts resume. I have lowered my meals to 4 per day as ...I am not working out as much as before (tt surgery). Once I amp it up again, I will go for the 6 small meals per day, that's eating every 2 - 3 hours while you're awake.

Breakfast

snack

lunch

Snack

dinner

Snack

Protein shake, yogurt, protien bar, salad (w/grilled chicken, light on the dressing), sensible dinner and healthy snack after dinner

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Finally some clear, concise directions on how I can kick this weight loss off. I've been stabbing in the dark doing everything I think and heard was right but this really sounds not only doable but that it will provide results. I will let y'all know!

I'm getting the band in a few weeks. I want to get back to exercising as soon as possible. What worked and what didn't during your first month after surgery?