Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Ever Not Lost Weight?

It may be a silly question but its 4:37AM and my brain won't stop asking the question.

Has anyone ever done this surgery and not lost the weight?

Scared of the answer.

Nikki. Relax. Just take care of yourself first. Dont worry about eating. Let it heal. Drink fluids and more fluids. I can attest that your world has completely been flipped. Your in control. Now grab that wheel and drive it like you stole it.

It may be a silly question but its 4:37AM and my brain won't stop asking the question.

Has anyone ever done this surgery and not lost the weight?

Scared of the answer.

Ready?

Nope.

Let me qualify this a bit. My wife had bypass 10 years ago. She lost 60 percent of her goal and gained 30 percent back. You can screw this up. However, if she had not had the surgery she would probably gained another 100 lbs since then. So I figure it still saved her life. Everybody who gets the surgery starts with the assumption that they would not gain any more weight if they did not. That is just about universally wrong.

So are you guaranteed to hit your goal? No. You will still have to work at it.

Will the surgery dramatically reduce what would otherwise weigh the rest of your life? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Bypass is alittle diffrent than the sleeve. All of her ghrelin producing hormones are still intact and still producing. Every bypass patient I talked to said the same thing as you just did or died. 4 people I know died a little after 5 years after bypass surgery. Reason Cause? i have no clue.

I really believe the ghrelin factor is one of the main factors. I cant see how you can gain weight if your never hungry

Bypass is alittle diffrent than the sleeve. All of her ghrelin producing hormones are still intact and still producing. Every bypass patient I talked to said the same thing as you just did or died. 4 people I know died a little after 5 years after bypass surgery. Reason Cause? i have no clue.

I really believe the ghrelin factor is one of the main factors. I cant see how you can gain weight if your never hungry

My understanding is that ghrelin "grows" back eventually (somtimes 2 years). Am I misunderstanding?

"grows back"? I've never heard that before. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has. I would think if that were the case with sleeves, it would seriously impact the success rate of this procedure, and that certainly hasn't happened.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yes, I was also under the impression that your body will start producing ghrelin again eventually. Therefore you will get hungry again, hopefully not to the same extreme. You also won't be as cold anymore since your body temperature will be regulating normally again.

With that said I still think it is impossible to not lose weight with the sleeve because you are definitely going to be at a calorie deficit, since if we were eating less than 1,000 calories before surgery, we probably wouldn't be having this surgery. Also the stomach is harder to stretch with the surgery than any of the others.

In a nut shell, you will lose weight... How much you lose is up to you =)

There is a limited amount of ghrelin production that returns after a year or so, and there's ghrelin stored in your fat that is released as you burn it off; however, it's nothing like it was pre-surgery. If you stick to what your doctor and nutritionist say, you should have no trouble meeting and maintaining your goal weight with the sleeve. Proteins first, then veggies/fruits, and last carbs (at least for me, your mileage may vary).

I went to my local seminar before I decided to head south. That is what the doctor said (leading doctor in our area). While I'm not entirely sure I understood it correctly my impression was that the total lack of hunger due to Ghrelin would wear off as it started to return. If I understood it correctly not all of it returns. Would love to find out this is not true :) I wish they had a taste-bud altering surgery. If none of it tasted good i probably would never eat again

Some people do still report being hungry after surgery. Now, whether that is their head hunger talking, I don't know. The thing is if they don't figure out the difference between head hunger and read hunger, it's a moot point because they may not be likely to stick to the plan and eat stuff they shouldn't. Personally, from listening/ reading hundreds of posts over the past 2 years, it would seem to me that besides someone figuring out the difference between head hunger and real hunger is the technique used by the surgeon. I know there is a lot of differing opinions about whether the size of the bougie used really matters- but I really think it does. And, then to take that a step further... some surgeons sew a good way out from the bougie because they are afraid of the hour glass syndrome that they think might cause complications/ blockage.

At the end of the day, (and I know you know this), people who have the surgery must make a commitment to a lifestyle change- period. It is a life saving operation, but it's still just a tool.

Yes' date=' I was also under the impression that your body will start producing ghrelin again eventually. Therefore you will get hungry again, hopefully not to the same extreme. You also won't be as cold anymore since your body temperature will be regulating normally again.

With that said I still think it is impossible to not lose weight with the sleeve because you are definitely going to be at a calorie deficit, since if we were eating less than 1,000 calories before surgery, we probably wouldn't be having this surgery. Also the stomach is harder to stretch with the surgery than any of the others.

In a nut shell, you will lose weight... How much you lose is up to you =)[/quote']

So this is why I am so cold all of a sudden......I used to keep my AC really low and sleep in shorts and tank tops and still need a fan blowing on me ..NOW I turn up the AC to usually 73 , wear pajama pants and still feel like I'm freezing

I have been wanting to ask this same questions. My mind is wondering all the time will I be the only one that doesn't lose a pound. Thanks for asking the question!