Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Dr. Do You Recommend?

I haven't officially set up anything yet, but want to get as much information as possible before I do. Which Dr. Would you recommend for us that are going to travel to Mexico for surgery?

I would definitely 100% recommend Dr. Ramos Kelly. His reputation, qualifications, and affiliations, are everything you should look for in a surgeon. I like the personalized service that he gives, and that he runs a family business. I also like that he doesnt use a coordinator that gouges about 2k of your fee, just to set up your surgery. Dr K has a personal assistant, instead, and he is simply wonderful! I also like that Dr K personally oversees your post op care, and you're not placed in a recovery house, but a luxurious hotel! You will stay a minimum of 2 days in the hospital, and won't be released unless you are ready (you will be). Omar, and Cecey(Dr's wife) will be checking in on you, and Cecey will take care of your incisions, and bring you a care pkg of gatorade, juice, Jello etc. Dr K will come see you everyday, and answer any questions/concerns you may have. I could go on and on, but for a few hundred more, you will get a better quality surgeon, and aftercare program and they will come get you whenever your flight in, no extra cost for a hotel! :)

Congrats on your decision!! I just had my surgery on April 16th with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and I feel fabulous!! His center is called Obesity Control Center and it's a state of the art facility that has been given the honor of being an "International Center of Excellence". He's been featured on Oprah, The Doctors and has even been named one of the top 15 Bariatric surgeons by Newsweek Magazine. When I first started researching WLS it was 7-8 years ago but the timing just wasn't right with work, personal relationships, etc.... I finally started to research again and after looking at other Doctors in Mexico (I'm was self pay too) I went right back to Dr. Ortiz. There are other surgeons to choose from and I implore you to do your research and due diligence before making your final selection. When choosing a surgeon you should focus on experience, facility, comfort for you and any guests, etc... and not just on price. I paid $6995 and that included all transportation from San Diego, 4 nights hotel stay at the Marriott in Tijuana for my mother and transportation back to San Diego. There are 6 private suites in his center that are very comfortable and you even have your own Direct TV.....PLUS you are surrounded by nothing but folks just like YOU and not in a hospital where God knows what types of diseases, infections, etc... are present. That was a HUGE deal for me. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez speak perfect English and have an incredible bedside manner. My surgery was on Monday morning and I was discharged on Tuesday around noon. I was back at the hotel laying by the pool and getting some sun and on day 3 I was out shopping for 3-4 hours. Dr. Ortiz has an agreement with the Marriott and they will bring you broth, popsicles, etc.. all included in your price. Your guest (if you bring one) will be very well taken care of.

I honestly believe that a good pre-op diet accompanied by a positive attitude truly helped me come out of this surgery with flying colors. A lot of this journey, especially in the beginning is all mental. Once you decide on a surgeon get into a ZONE and stay there!! Reach out for support (the forums are great) and find folks that are getting their surgeries around the same time. It really does help!

I am definitely an advocate for Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center... He has changed my life and I will be forever grateful! His website www.obesitycontrolcenter.com is very informative and he even has his own YouTube channel where you can watch videos of testimonials, surgeries. etc...

You are going to get a lot of responses from others promoting other surgeons.. Everyone's experience is different so be prepared to research, research RESEARCH!!!!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions!!

All The Best!!!

Emily

I agree with cissiesue Dr. Kelly is a good surgeon. He was one of my choices also. I used Dr. Garcia and was totally happy with him. Either one would be a great choice. It is a personal preference and which ever one you choose it has to be who you feel at peace with. I felt good about both and am sure I would have had the same results with either one I chose. Good luck and you will be in good hands with whatever choice you make.

I'm 18 months post-op from surgery with Dr. Aceves. I liked that I stayed in a hospital until I was discharged on day 4. I lost 100% of my excess weight and then some. I'm so happy with my results!

My sister had her surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras and we both loved him and his staff! Highly recommend him!

For me, the only choice was Dr Kelly. He and his team were amazing and went above and beyond. I did not have a typical run of the mill surgery. I had a 7 yr old band, old infection from port that ran my entire stomach with scar tissue. He removed the band, port, scar tissue and spent 4 times the time he usually does to make sure things were right. I had a total of 4 leak tests. Dr kelly has skills that I never have come across in oregon. His coordinator was there for me each step. He called my children after surgery to reassure them of my care. Do research, see what feels good to you and enjoy your change in your life. Only you know what is best for you.

Wow! Everyone is so helpful! It's making this decision very hard! I definitely want the best are possible- and I know everyone that travels there is looking for the same.

I was there with Cissiesue and she put it all brilliantly. I could not have been happier with dr. Kelly.

Congrats on your decision!! I just had my surgery on April 16th with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and I feel fabulous!! His center is called Obesity Control Center and it's a state of the art facility that has been given the honor of being an "International Center of Excellence". He's been featured on Oprah' date=' The Doctors and has even been named one of the top 15 Bariatric surgeons by Newsweek Magazine. When I first started researching WLS it was 7-8 years ago but the timing just wasn't right with work, personal relationships, etc.... I finally started to research again and after looking at other Doctors in Mexico (I'm was self pay too) I went right back to Dr. Ortiz. There are other surgeons to choose from and I implore you to do your research and due diligence before making your final selection. When choosing a surgeon you should focus on experience, facility, comfort for you and any guests, etc... and not just on price. I paid 6995 and that included all transportation from San Diego, 4 nights hotel stay at the Marriott in Tijuana for my mother and transportation back to San Diego. There are 6 private suites in his center that are very comfortable and you even have your own Direct TV.....PLUS you are surrounded by nothing but folks just like YOU and not in a hospital where God knows what types of diseases, infections, etc... are present. That was a HUGE deal for me. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez speak perfect English and have an incredible bedside manner. My surgery was on Monday morning and I was discharged on Tuesday around noon. I was back at the hotel laying by the pool and getting some sun and on day 3 I was out shopping for 3-4 hours. Dr. Ortiz has an agreement with the Marriott and they will bring you broth, popsicles, etc.. all included in your price. Your guest (if you bring one) will be very well taken care of.

I honestly believe that a good pre-op diet accompanied by a positive attitude truly helped me come out of this surgery with flying colors. A lot of this journey, especially in the beginning is all mental. Once you decide on a surgeon get into a ZONE and stay there!! Reach out for support (the forums are great) and find folks that are getting their surgeries around the same time. It really does help!

I am definitely an advocate for Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center... He has changed my life and I will be forever grateful! His website www.obesitycontrolcenter.com is very informative and he even has his own YouTube channel where you can watch videos of testimonials, surgeries. etc...

You are going to get a lot of responses from others promoting other surgeons.. Everyone's experience is different so be prepared to research, research RESEARCH!!!!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions!!

All The Best!!!

Emily [/quote']

I'm leaning more towards going here now that I have done more research! It does cost a little more, but you're right about you get what you pay for!!! :) thanks for recommending him to me!

Dr. Ponce Is great also

I recommend Dr Ortiz too. Surgery last Monday, 7/9, and back to work today.

Everything about my experience was first class and definitely top notch!

I had no real pain aside from gas pain. I was sent home with pain meds, antacid, anti nausea and antibiotic prescription medications. It's been smooth sailing.

Check out their videos on You Tube. They are VERY representative of the facilities as well as Dr Ortiz's personality and bedside manner.

I don't believe I could have made a better choice. OCC is awesome!

dr. Ponce de leon was my surgeon, I am totally pleased with my surgery & my results. One of the great advantages in using Dr. Ponce is his coordinator Trish. She is a heaven sent. Since I went alone it was really nice to have someone like her in my corner.

I 2nd Barrbdoll and Trixie2012. I was sleeved on 5/28 by Dr Ortiz @ OCC and I have done AWESOME. Actually the decision and anxiety b4 were much worse than the surgery and recovery.

I recommend Dr Ortiz too. Surgery last Monday' date=' 7/9, and back to work today.

Everything about my experience was first class and definitely top notch!

I had no real pain aside from gas pain. I was sent home with pain meds, antacid, anti nausea and antibiotic prescription medications. It's been smooth sailing.

Check out their videos on You Tube. They are VERY representative of the facilities as well as Dr Ortiz's personality and bedside manner.

I don't believe I could have made a better choice. OCC is awesome![/quote']

I really think that I'm gonna go with Dr. Ortiz! :) it's like $2,000 cheaper to go with Jerusalem Hospital, and I know that people have been pleased with their results, but some comments that I've read kind of bothered me. I don't think that I would like to be packed in the recovery house with a bunch of strangers with all that noise going on.