Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optimal Restriction Time Line  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Optimal Restriction Time Line

• I prefer one fill every 1-2 weeks until I get restriction.
    • I prefer to wait at least a month between fills.
    • I prefer to wait 6 weeks to 2 months for a repeat fill.
    • I have no opinion.

It is such an individual thing, really. I dont really know why fill level matters so much. I might wear a size 12 at 175lbs and someone else wears a size 12 at 185.....or 165. You cant compare fill amounts because there are too many variables. I started with a BMI of 39 and when I went to 1.5cc fill it had me spitting up my saliva for days. It doesnt MATTER if you reach restriction "fast or gradual" the weight will come off. This is (IMO) not a race, it is how you can live and adapt to the process.......

My Doc makes everyone wait 2 weeks between fills because he said that sometimes you can get more restriction even 2 weeks after a fill.

AND that is exactly what happened to me. My first fill did very little and I was schedule to get a second fill when I tighten up 2 weeks after the 1st fill. I am still waiting to see if it is a fluke or what.

Everyone is different but based on what I read here "slow and easy" is the way to go with fills if we are to manage this "tool" for a lifetime.

I have no statistics to prove this but it seems to me that once someone is too tight or has a lot of PBs, etc., they "seem" have ongoing problems longer term.

I don't think fill levels matter either. What does matter is losing the weight and my question was related to frequency of fills and not amounts. I have the largest band but my fills have not been aggresive and occur about every 6-7 weeks. The band is a tool but the tool needs to be sharpened in order to work. While I have some small amount of restriction, it's clear that I need more Fluid to make the tool work as is was intended. I think more frequent fills would, for me, be more effective than a set fill schedule.

I had to change doctors because I moved from Brooklyn to Florida.

Both doctors believe in going back to a post op eating regiment after each fill. So it is 2 weeks before I even start eating "real food". Would going for another fill at that point make any sense? I would be a perpetual post op eating regiment.

Every 6 or 7 weeks as a minimum fill spacing is consistent with a safe, sane method for weight loss IMHO.

Though neither of my doctors has a Lap-Band, I think that they know enough about the mechanisms of the human body to make their fill spacing policy logical.

My doctor is very conservative about fills. I rec'd .5 cc on my first fill, which was on Aug. 21. That was six weeks after my surgery date; and even then he wasn't going to give me a fill. He told me I was losing weight without restriction and didn't need a fill. I can eat more than 1 cup of food and then some. I have not lost any weight since Aug. 21, and my next appt. will be on Oct. 16. I hope to convince him in doing a 2nd fill for me then.

QUESTION: Do you think nausea is a common symptom of a tight fill?

I can't believe this is happening to me. After what most would consider a tiny first fill that was long overdue, I am nauseous most of the time and can't eat solids. It took 12 days after the fill to tighten up. I'm going to stay on liquids and then mussies like your Doc told you TIred old Man, I think they are right on. If that doesn't work, I'll get an unfill.

I had a slip and nausea was what happened. So this makes me worry.

I get frustrated with my dr. he gave me a fill in march 6 weeks post op and I did great till I got to the 30 lb mark. Now I am hungry with no restriction and I am battling my weight again. I was in 2 months ago and he wants me to try eating 3 3oz meals a day and IF I get hungry eat 5-6 almonds to take the edge off. HELLO! I didn't get this way being able to eat 5-6 almonds and be full. He tells me the band is a tool, he's right but I can hold a hammer all day long and a house won't get built unless I use it. kwim? I go on the 3rd and I am praying that he will finally give me a fill. I have even taken diet pills to help with the hunger so I can get weight off while waiting. They make me feel weird so I don't do that much.

My doc is every 4-6 weeks or so. My last month I lost 12 pounds, so I didn't get a fill last time I went in. I am only down 5 this month and I am sure he will want me to have another small fill.

My doctor fills if he and you come to a concensus that you need one. He will see what your weight loss is and what you feel like your restriction is. Also, every fill is done under flouro, so everytime I get a fill, it is to very restricted and spot on. As I lose weight, my stomach shrinks, and I need more saline in my band to give me a good restriction. I would hate doing fills every week. I love how my doctor does it. No one ever has to have an unfill, and I can see how much is going through my stoma. It gives a very clear picture.

I live a long way away from my dr so i have repeat fills probably once every 6 months...I'm doing ok though.

:eek: