Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Hi Shrinkinmom,

Glad all your appointments are scheduled. I did the same as you, had all my appoints. lined up and was amazed at how many I did in such a short period of time. And don't worry too much about the liquid phase. You'll be on it for a week pre-op and 2 weeks post-op. Just keep the thought in your head that you've come this far, don't blow it for food....it's not worth it. Also keep in your head that it won't last forever....before you know it you'll be eating regular food again and you'll be feeling great. Keep us posted on when you get your date!

Lisa :thumbup:

I am so excited!!! I just got my surgery date...November 10! I can't wait!!! Now it feels REAL...it's going to actually happen!!!

Lcubed-- Congratulations. How awesome!! I would so love to have mine before Thanksgiving. So what do you have to do between now and then? You are going to be in a smaller size by Christmas.

I met w/ the nutritionist today. I am not nearly as afraid of the liquid diet. I thought it would be much worse.

congratulations lcubed. i just called dr. geiss office today and my file went to jennifer desk for review. how long after review did you get your date? was that the first date they had available?

Hi Everyone! Thank you all for the encouragement and support. I really appreciate it.

Shrinkinmom: There is nothing special for me to do until the surgery...except follow the preop liquid diet the week prior to surgery. I also have to go to a Preop Class on Oct 21. They are sending me lots of materials in the mail. And yes...I will be a smaller size by Christmas and I can't wait!!!

Twiceblessd: I think I got the call about 2 days after the file went in for review. Jennifer said it would be reviewed by the PA on Monday afternoon and I got the call on Thurs morning at 9am. So you will hear from them soon!!! Dr. Geiss does surgery on certain days. The first available day was Tues Nov 4. I wanted to have it done on a Mon if possible because I have Training Sessions every Fri (I am a psychotherapist) and I thought I would have more time to recover. Also I wanted to be able to vote since it is Election Day. So she said the next available day was Nov 10 and I took it quickly...grabbed it up is more like it!!!

Susancarole: Thank you so much for your offer of information. I will definitely have lots more questions and get much more nervous as the date approaches. Thank you for being here!!! How are you feeling? What has it been like for you the past few days? Thanks!

Howdy! I've been lurking about for a while now, but havent posted all that much. I'm also in the process of being approved for the lap band with Dr. Geiss. I saw him back in July and started all the testing/appointments etc. I was diagnosed with vasovagal syncapoe when I was 19 (I'm 29 now) and the last year or so it started getting worse, so I began seeing a cardiac electrophysiologist. Long story short, they figured out that I actually had SVT, and I had 2 cardiac ablations on 8/20. Oi vey. So that kinda held up the entire lap band process. I'm feeling a lot better now, and my cardiac electrophysiologist cleared me for the lap band, but Dr. Geiss' office said that I had to be cleared by my regular cardiologist (whom I havent seen since January when he referred me to my CEP). Are we following so far lol. Anyhoo... I saw my regular cardiologist this past Tuesday and he should be sending the letter to Dr. Geiss in the begining of next week.

This long winded post had a point to it, I swear lol...

I was really hoping to have surgery next month, but from what I'm seeing posted here, Jennifer says that Dr. Geiss is booked until Novemeber? :thumbup:

That would kinda suck for me, because I've been set on having the surgery since July, and I had been researching it since January.

Sorry to ramble lol. This website is just so super amazing and I love it! :thumbdown:

-Miriam

Musicmir: Have you considered using Dr. Powers? If you are in more of a hurry, he may be less booked. I know personally 4 people who have used both doctors, and they are all equally as happy.

Lcubed: It was great that they accomodated you so soon after your file was complete! And to answer your question, I am feeling like I never even had surgery and I am post-op 17 days!

Twiceblessed: Once Jennifer has it and checks for all the doctors clearance letters, it really takes no time at all.....a day or two to get it to the scheduler. So, you are on your way

ANd..good luck to everyone else reading these threads! I don't have those weight loss tickers, but I am down 24 lbs so far, since the end of August, and feeling great!

SusanCarole:

can you ask for dr. powers if you meet with dr. geiss. i just looked him up and he is covered on my insurance also. I just really need this done earlier than november if possible. Who do I ask the information to?

Thanks for your help and 24 pds is great, keep up the great work.

Hiya Twice...

I think if you explain your situation to Jennifer or even the scheduler ( I wish I could remember the scheduler's name....) they would not have a problem switching you over to Dr. Powers. Find out first if he has more availability than Dr. Geiss. The day I went in for surgery, I was the only one who had Dr. Powers. 4 other people had the surgery that day with Dr. Geiss. That's why I told you to try Dr. Powers. I know that my surgery was at the same time as one of Dr. Geiss' other patients...so, they must use 2 Operating Rooms. I do know one other thing....Dr. Powers also does other kinds of Bariatric Surgery, and surgeries of the digestive tract in general- not necessarily just weight loss surgery- so check his schedule. Most people go for Dr. Geiss first because he is the original surgeon in the group to do Lap Band and therefore has the most experience. I was a little nervous at first when I went for the educational class with June W, and I was the only one using Dr. Powers out of 20 people in the class that day....but honestly, he did a wonderful job and I had not one complication.

Good luck with your decision- either way I believe you are in capable hands, and let me know what the scheduler says.....

Susan:thumbup:

Wow Susan...24 pounds in 17 days! That's amazing. You are doing greyt! Do you attend the support meetings the same support meetings sponsored by Dr. Geiss's office? I want to go after I have surgery. I have my educational class with June on Oct 21. What is that like? By the way...the scheduler is Liz. I just got a packet of materials from her.

WOW- Sue you are doing great? How do you feel? How long were you out of work? Any postop secrets you would like to share?

Lcubed-when you got your date were to able to pick the time of day? I am hoping to get an afternoon date so I won't have to take that day off of work.

I told my mother today for the frist time that I started this journey. Up to now i have only discussed it with my husband. I am trying to keep it as secret as possible but it didn't feel right not to share it with her. AS I expected she was so supportive and was really happy for me. She sort of came of like she wanted to suggest it to me sooner but didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Anyway it seems real now. My last test is on Thursday so I hope my papers will be reviewed early next week.

Lcubed--Is your dog an italian greyhound? Mine is sleeping on my lap right now!

Hey shrinkinmom! How cool would it be if we had the surgery at the same time...you never know!!! I don't actually know the time of surgery yet. They only told me the day. The papers I just received yesterday said that the nurse would call me the day before surgery to tell me what time to come to the hospital. I will ask however when I speak to Liz at Dr. Geiss's office...maybe they know now. The papers I got also had info about the date and time of the educational class; my pre-admission tests at the hospital a week before surgery; and my first post-op appt with Dr. Geiss. I also have to have my regular internist...pcp...fill out some papers about my medical history.

My dog, Juliette, is actually a retired racing greyhound from New Hampshire. I adopted her from Long Island Greyhound Transfer (LIGHT), which is a rescue organization. What is your dog's name. Juliette just turned 5 in August. She is the 3rd greyhound I have adopted. After my surgery I will think about getting her a "sibling" to get into trouble with...lol!

Hi Lcubed....I am sorry, I don't want to mislead you...My 24 pounds is a total since I began the liquid diet at the end of august, you know the week before surgery....Actually, since the surgery, I lost 10 pounds. I actually lost more doing the liquids...but we all know, that phase is not realistic. I am really happy with 10 pounds in 18 days...but I know that it will slow down. The doctors and June tell you that you can expect 1 to 2 pounds a week when you are on solid foods again. I had to put my scale away...I am weighing myself only on Mondays now...for my sanity!

I have not attended a support group meeting yet. I do believe the first one is this coming tuesday. I am trying to get the two other women who had surgery the same day as me to meet me there.

The class with June is really great. (Kind of long, but if you need to leave, you can- JUST MAKE sure that you SIGN IN! You will meet all sorts of people there and you will come across some people having surgery on your date, I am sure. OH, and get there early. Even though you will probably wait a bit, they ran out of seats in the waiting room, and it is a drag to stand and wait ! They held the class in the cafeteria downstairs in the hospital the day I had it...

The packet that you got from the hospital is really accurate! They really do call you only the day before the surgery to find out what time to arrive the next day. They do this because sometimes there is a last minute cancellation and then they can give you an earlier time. If your surgery is on a Monday, they do call on Friday though- so it is actually the business day before the surgery.

Shrinkin- wtg on your last appointment coming up this week. You should be scheduled pretty soon as well. When you speak with Liz finally, you can certainly ask that they put you as late as possible on the surgery schedule for that day...but they probably will not make any promises. It is impossible for them to give you an exact time because of many circumstances that come up with patients as well as the surgeons. But, when the hospital calls, they are pretty accurate with the time!

And, for both of you, you know that the last day before surgery is Clear Liquids only- no matter what time you go in! And nothing to eat or drink after midnight NO matter what time you are scheduled as well! Believe me, you will be hungry before surgery, but right afterward, there are no more hunger pangs! And it is a good thing because all you get in the hospital is ice chips until the next morning when they go back to Clear Liquids. Honestly, it was not bad at all, I promise!

I will talk to you soon!

Sue