Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am really craving taste, I am not hungry only craving food. Can I put the food in my mouth chew , suck then spit it out without swallowing or eating it? Has anyone every tried this?

During my psych evaluation, I was warned this is a pattern of an eating disorder. I wouldn't start an unhealthy habit.

When I was in my liquid phase post op I felt exactly the same way. Whenever the craving for taste and texture got bad enough, I would chew a little bit and spit it out. For me, just doing that once for something I was feeling deprived of would do the trick. Later, I found out in our support group that our bariatric coordinator, who is a bariatric nurse and a RNY recipient herself, totally advocates that. I am sure if you were doing it constantly, then that might be a red flag of an eating disorder, but to do it once in a while while coping with learning a new way to eat I imagine is fine.

spit food out without swallowing or eating it?

girlfriend

From the board i have seen this subject discussed.

I would not pertake in it - it does sound like you might start having an eating disorder if you continue to do this

to me it sound gross, sorry but it does

hope you don't do this

good luck

kathy

When I was in my liquid phase post op I felt exactly the same way. Whenever the craving for taste and texture got bad enough, I would chew a little bit and spit it out. For me, just doing that once for something I was feeling deprived of would do the trick. Later, I found out in our support group that our bariatric coordinator, who is a bariatric nurse and a RNY recipient herself, totally advocates that. I am sure if you were doing it constantly, then that might be a red flag of an eating disorder, but to do it once in a while while coping with learning a new way to eat I imagine is fine.

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for some support on how I am feeling. I never tried it but someone told me about it. Thank you for not labeling me or diagnoising me. It was a thought. I am 6 days out and everyone is eating around me and the smell is unbearable. I didn't get to have Water until 2 days ago and I could get shakes until yesterday. They didn't give me anything in the hospital until the 4th day the doctors gave me water and day 5 I got broth. Yesterday I had a partial shake. Thanks for putting me back on the right track without judging me.

Honestly I did it once when I was on my pureed stage. Everyone was eating baked ziti and chicken. I chewed both didn't swallow and spit it out. It gave me the flavor and I was okay. I was craving chewing badly and although it may sound gross to some I don't think it is or will lead to a eating disorder. I mean heck most of us already have some type of eating disorder.

My adice is if you do it don't make a habit out of it. Your tummy is still fraigle and needs to heal properly.

Hugs

I did the same thing when making my kids a meal the other night. I seriously doubt one time to quell a craving means I have an eating disorder. More so, I was having hunger and took a healthier way to cope than eating something that could have hurt my sleeve. I didn't do it to avoid calories, it was to get a taste of real food without causing harm. You're totally fine (and normal).

Honestly I did it once when I was on my pureed stage. Everyone was eating baked ziti and chicken. I chewed both didn't swallow and spit it out. It gave me the flavor and I was okay. I was craving chewing badly and although it may sound gross to some I don't think it is or will lead to a eating disorder. I mean heck most of us already have some type of eating disorder.

My adice is if you do it don't make a habit out of it. Your tummy is still fraigle and needs to heal properly.

Hugs

I think you advice helped. I glad someone else had the thought or went through it also. I will also try and wait to get to the puree stage. Thank you soooooo much. It really helped. I am usually very strong however, I can see how everyone needs encouraging support. Thank you again

I did the same thing when making my kids a meal the other night. I seriously doubt one time to quell a craving means I have an eating disorder. More so, I was having hunger and took a healthier way to cope than eating something that could have hurt my sleeve. I didn't do it to avoid calories, it was to get a taste of real food without causing harm. You're totally fine (and normal).

That was my feeling exactly. I don't want to do anything that will make this process worse. Thank you

Thank you for the advice. I was looking for some support on how I am feeling. I never tried it but someone told me about it. Thank you for not labeling me or diagnoising me. It was a thought. I am 6 days out and everyone is eating around me and the smell is unbearable. I didn't get to have Water until 2 days ago and I could get shakes until yesterday. They didn't give me anything in the hospital until the 4th day the doctors gave me Water and day 5 I got broth. Yesterday I had a partial shake. Thanks for putting me back on the right track without judging me.

I don't believe my answer was either a judgement or a diagnosis. You put the question out there. I simply gave my opinion on it.

I don't believe my answer was either a judgement or a diagnosis. You put the question out there. I simply gave my opinion on it.

Am I missing somthing? I thought I thank you for your advice and said some nice things. I don't understnd why you think I am talking specifically about you? Everyone on this site is here for support lets not turn on one another please.

I did it with jerkey- and I'm perfectly fine- I just needed to chew something a couple times- and I did it with sunflower seeds too- I just sucked the salt off - :)

I've done this once....we'd gotten rotisserie chicken for dinner (for the rest of the family), and it smelled so incredibly good. I've been struggling with my Liquid Protein products...having absolutely no hunger, no appetite, no desire to eat...at all...and I was curious whether the chicken would taste as good to me as it smelled. I put a bite in my mouth, got the taste, and was supremely disappointed. It didn't taste good at all to me (and I loved rotisserie chicken prior to surgery). I spat the bite out into the garbage disposal, and walked away. It wasn't about wanting to chew something, or craving something, or wanting to cheat. It was purely about finding out how severely my sense of taste has changed. I'm hoping it recovers....I can't imagine going through the rest of my life getting no sense of enjoyment out of the foods I eat, even if they're all healthy choices.

I did it with jerkey- and I'm perfectly fine- I just needed to chew something a couple times- and I did it with sunflower seeds too- I just sucked the salt off - :)

I did it w/ a slim jim. I was in soft phase but was afraid it wouldn't agree w/ sleeve so just chewed then spit out. I've since had one and actually ate it. Did fine w/ sleeve and I don't eat them often!