Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DeLarla vs. PhotoNut

one thing i learned through all of this madness is that you don't HAVE to be crazy to get banded (not banneded) and join LBT, but it sure does help!!!

Beware: Behavior to avoid~!

It isn't easy raising kids. There isn't a manuel. We usually learn after the fact. If only our kids new that we were really growing up WITH them. We just have to admit sometimes that we don't have all the answers. And we have to learn that they are individuals, not just extensions of ourselves, individuals who deserve to lead their own lives.

Frankly, I liked Terms of Endearment II with Jack Nicholson better than the first one.

We just watched Robin Williams in "RV". We had recently sold our behemoth RV because we only used it twice on trips to CA. My husband almost busted a gut laughing.

You're right about not having to be crazy to be here, but it does help!!

Mini Me: You're basically a small person too. What made you decide to have the LB? Are you happy with it? Did you have many problems post-surgery? Are you feeling good about your progress?

I watched a couple of programs today about MO people. One was about a couple of women who'd had Gastric Bypass. The other was about people who had used unconventional methods and lost the weight on their own.

The second group did things like, a cross country bike trip, a cross country road trip to every state, one learned belly dancing, and one gal reversed her eating patterns. All of them were trying to take charge of their lives without surgery or diets. The gal who reversed her eating has dinner in the morning, lunch is an extension of her morning intake and dinner is Cereal. They all did something drastic in their lives to break the routine of overeating that they were in.

I found it very interesting. The GP women had some real heavy duty complications and the stories were touching and more than a little scary.

hey BJean...

it has really been a bit of a roller coaster...a baby roller coaster, but a roller coaster nonetheless.

i went to my preop consult with a bmi of 38 and no comorbidities. i knew i was not terribly obese...yet. my maternal grandmother was 4'11@275 when she died(72), my dad's only sister was 4'11@325 when she died(55)...i can tell you of ten relatives like this off the top of my head. i am 5'1 and went to consult at 207. i was VERY unhappy with my body. diets of course did not work for me. I could always lose the weight, but it ALWAYS came back with some fatty friends. i looked at wls for over two years. i finally decided on the band, and went for consult in feb, had to wait for the income tax check to add to my savings, and was selfpaid bandster on march 13, 2006.

things seemed well at first. lost a few lbs and thought i was off to a good start. then, as i was warned, i had no restriction and started yo-yo'ing a little with my weight. i was gaining the few lbs that i had lost. i have not been losing at a very fast pace. but i do lose a couple of pounds between each fill. i have only lost 19 lbs since march, but i am down from an 18/20 to 14/16. i can tell quite a difference. this last fill has really given me a level of restriction that i can feel each and every day. the scales have shifted again this week. overall, i am happy, though i do have days where i feel like i am failing. that is when i come here to lbt and get some encouragement.

i had no post-op problems. it was a bit more painful than i anticipated. but the healing was fast and i felt exponentially better each day.

i am glad i did this. i have not gained any of my lost weight back. i don't feel like i am 'dieting' because i eat normally. i need to exercise. i need to count calories. i need to do a lot of things before i will get to my goal weight. i am moving in that direction slowly, and one of these days, i will wake up with a burst of motivation, and this band will be here to assist.

do you have the band? good luck.

'

There was a "Terms of Endearment II"? How did I miss this?

I didn't know either. Jack Nicholson was in the first also.

Jack was the crazy astronaut neighbor, correct?

Mini Me: Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me a bit about your experience with the LB.

No, I don't have the band yet. I due for surgery on 9/11. I'm about this close (indicating 1 inch) to backing out of the whole deal. I just can't seem to stay convinced that the band is actually going to give me the help I need.

Then I start thinking about all the diet failures I've had, and thinking about my family history of early disease and death, and I wonder if this really is my last chance to save myself from all that.

I don't know how to make the final decision. I've been torturing myself for 4 weeks, reading everything I can at LBT, hoping something will set off the trigger in my brain that will allow me to know the surgery is the right thing for me. I too have thought about it for the past couple of years and thought that it sounded just like what I needed. But frankly, the LB forum has made me come to grips with the reality of all of the potential problems I'll be facing afterwards.

I have to have a hiatal hernia repair at the same time as the LB and that worries me. I haven't heard from anyone online who has had to do that. My doc says it's no biggie and that he's done them successfully. I have another appoinment with him to discuss it in more depth. But my surgery is looming in just over a week, and I'm so conflicted, I'm miserable.

I don't mind the Protein Shakes, but I am experiencing a gnawing sensation almost constantly. His requirement is Liquid Protein + l small meal for 3 weeks prior to LB. I've been put on Prilosec in an effort to settle things down so I can tolerate the drinks better.

I know that no one here can make the decision for me. I keep reading stories, like yours, that are encouraging to some degree, but that are discouraging too in some ways. The interesting part of what you've said is that you are glad you did it. It sounds like you're pretty convinced that you will continue to make progress and will reach your goal.

My BMI is over 40 and I do have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Almost everyone in my family has stage II diabetes. And I am much older than you. So I've undoubtedly had more dieting defeats and bad rebounds. It is a vanity issue for me to some extent, but a health issue even more.

Now after writing the above paragraph, I'm swinging back to wondering why I'm not jumping into LBS with determination. Were you anywhere near this confused prior to surgery? Did you read all these stories at LBT before your surgery?

This really doesn't seem like this reply or question should be on this particular part of the forum, but may I share with you my mom's journey with the band. She was 64 years old getting it in July of this year. She had open heart surgery 5 years ago; sleep apnea; severe rheumatoid arthritis; and other health problems. One week before banding she had knee surgery. She is a new person since getting banded. She has lost 30 lbs. and is feeling younger. Her arthritis is much better and she has more energy. She had zero complications, although I truly was expecting some. She had no port pain except for a few days after surgery, and never any gas pains at all. She has amazed me, and that is why I am looking into getting the band myself. She has set the bar high for me. I will want to go to Vandy and have the procedure done by her dr. because he has done such a wonderful job with my mom.

Please go through with your surgery. I bet you will be one happy camper when it is over with. I'm enjoying this journey with my mom, and inheriting some great clothes in the process :) (my mom get'sall her clothes from QVC and they are awesome). I'm a bit ashamed to admit that she is passing down bigger sizes to me. It has definitely made me reflect on the fact that I need to make some major changes in my life also, and that the band just be the answer I'm looking for. I hope to see you posting in a Happier forum about your banding. For now best of luck to you.

Brooklynn

I'm sorry to all, but I am going to lock this thread. Both members that this thread is regarding have been banned and I don't see the need to keep it open! Have a great day!