Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Canadian, eh

Hi Green: We have a few things in common. I'm born and raised in Toronto.....beaches area. Ended up in Mississauga and then in 99 moved up to Fenelon Falls where my husband and I opened a fine dining restaurant.

I too never learned how to drive because I never had to worry about it.....living in TO and always working downtown I used the transit system...even if I did drive I never would have taken a vehicle downtown.

I was banded at the TLBC on June 8th of this year, I will be there next Thursday as well getting my 4th, and hopefully last fill.

Carol

Hey green, very interesting. Aircrafts?

Oh, and by the way, Loriely, who you calling crazy:wacko:!!

Yep, I build airplanes. I work for Bombardier at the deHavilland plant. It's a fairly interesting job, and it pays well because it is unionized - CAW. I always worked with women before so it was a definite culture shock for me. None of those guys bring home baked muffins to share or hold showers when one of their colleagues has a pregnant wife.:faint: And they routinely use far more colourful language than most women do.:) Working in a union job was different, too. The men don't like to see you get too co-operative with management. This was very different from the mindset of my previous job. I was the first woman working in the sheet metal shop - I wrote on my coat chic metal - and some of the guys gave me a hard time. They didn't like having a woman in the shop. I would go home at night and cry, and remind myself that I had a mortgage. Other guys were good to me, though, and I soon got used to defending myself and became respected.

Hi Woodys.

Wow! Those are big moves. Do you drive now? I took lessons when I was in my late 30s through Young Drivers of Canada (I think that is the name). Anyhow, I think I left it too late. I aced all the written theory but was lousy at actually driving. I took the gov't exam twice and flunked, then I stopped. I figured I had spent too many years as a passenger, and was used to looking at what pedestrians were wearing and for SALE signs in the windows of stores. LOL. Looking at what other cars are doing is too boring! Even though my husband has a truck (he's from Scarborough, eh), we never drive in the city. It's always public transit or by foot for us except for grocery shopping at the local No Frills and Price Chopper.

How did you find the move from the Beaches to Mississaugua? And the move to Fenelon Falls?

I have my band installed at 11 ay em on the same Thursday that you will be there. Ooooh!

Wowee! Welcome green!

We have such a cool assortment or jobs, don't we?! Dog breeders, lamby birthers, airplane builders, animators (<---me!).... errrmmm... and more that have escaped my memory right now.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! You're in for some excitement :)

Mandi

Hi Argon. I've been really enjoying the Argon chronicles. Where did you study animation? Was it in SK or was it in T.O.? Living two doors up from me is one of the directors for Nelvana. He is a weird and unfriendly guy, though.

And yeah, you are right. We are doing a lot of interesting things.

haha, I'm glad you enjoy my chronicles! I went to school in SK. That's pretty neat about the Nelvana guy :)

Cloe, c'mon.... you birth lambys! And raise their less attractive parents... among other things.... right?!

Welcome Green. Good Luck with your surgery on Thursday. I haven't had a fill yet, It's scheduled for Oct 5th. I'm not nervous about it. But maybe I should be, should I?

I really think you should bite the bullet and know your weight. As someone previously stated, you will be encouraged when you see that number go down. For a couple of years, I was like you. During my physicals, I asked them not to tell me what I weighed. Now that the weight is coming off I really enjoy seeing that number decrease. It's motivating

Yah, I've really got a phobia about my weight, Wheezy. Today I went to see a doctor about an unrelated matter. He wanted to weigh me. I ordered him to keep my weight a secret from me. I've always gone by clothing sizes, and right now I take my clothes in size fat! The TLBC folks weighed me, and told me that I was a good candidate for the operation. When I mentioned Lipo plus Tummy Tuck (which I didn't want, by the way), they said that that wasn't going to be enough. No surprise to this grrl.:huggie: Anyhow, I figure that I could figure out my progress to size skinny by my clothing sizes, too.:) But maybe you are right and I am being very, very flakey about this.:rolleyes: I would be happy to see size 14, you know.:scared:

Green: I moved to Mississauga in the 70's but my family remained in the Beaches house until my Mom passed away a few years ago......so, even though I was living in Miss I was still in the Beaches a lot.

I had to make a move in that direction because I am a CA by profession and at that time the downtown core was saturated...no employment available. New industrial development was going up in the west end and the employment was abundant. Then, a few years later I landed the Finance Director position with the Alzheimer Association of Ontario on the corner of Bay and Bloor and was there for years. I started my own accounting practice in the late 80's and even though my office was in my home I was still travelling to the downtown area several times a week to visit clients.

I really loved Mississauga but pined for the beaches all the time since it carried a lot of memories for me. My husband and I were not strangers to Fenelon Falls when we relocated, his family has cottage property on Balsam lake and it has been in his Father's family since his Dad was a small boy. Before Alan was born his Dad acquired it through an inheritance and its because of visiting the cottage that we know Fenelon Falls so well.

Alan is a professional Chef and has always worked in the restaurant industry for establishments such as the Banff Springs Hotel, The Four Seasons Calgary, Auberge du Pommier in Toronto, Inn on The Park.....and more. When he saw this building in Fenelon up for sale he immediately got ideas about his own restaurant. I had my hay day with my business so since he thought he could make a go of this place I went with it. Its kinda like our stepping stone to retiring up here to the cottage property.

The transition to living up here was very easy. I found out quickly the meaning of relax. Even though our businesses are very busy, when you do get the opportunity to relax, you do......everyone has the same attitude and make no demands on your private time. Small town politics is a bit tougher, but I'm adjusting.

Good luck with your surgery, I had no problems at all. It was even easier than I thought and I had a very quick recovery.

Carol

(Dr. Joffe will be banding me, by the way.)

I am quite envious that your husband is a professional chef. I've been seriously committed to eating for many years now. The best I've ever done in that direction was the Frenchman. I went over to France when I was 30 for 7 months. I took an unpaid leave of absence from work and enrolled in a French programme taught through a university in the south of France. I learned some French and made a lot of friends. When I went back to visit them I met the French Guy, quit my job, and ended up living with him and going to school for more French for two years. It didn't work out but he was a great cook, and I ate like a queen. I also drank like a queen. The guy had deep pockets and knew his wines. It was through living with him that I learned to love beef. My mother had always cooked it until it was gray all the way through, and I hated the stuff. Turns out I like it bloody. Go figure, eh.

Apart from this I have always lived in Toronto. I grew up in High Park, and I still live in the west end. It takes me 5 minutes to walk to the subway and I can walk to the TLBC. I kinda, sorta envy anyone who doesn't keep on living in the same old spot. You've moved around, and so has Argon. This must keep you feeling wide awake if you know what I mean.

Hey Green...you do have an intriguing job!!!!

BTW, Mr. Yoda is also a Red Seal Professional chef.

Oh...ummm Manid...u forgot to mention my occupation of ....professional spy....

I have lived in every province in Canada except Newfoundland, so I can certainly say I've moved around a lot....course it kinda sucked changing schools every 1-2 yrs....but ya get used to it! It made me who I am today!

Cccccrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

Wow, did you? That'd be a cool thing to be able to say. But now you need to move to Nfld, just to get that under your belt!

oops..I forgot about Yukon...never lived there either. NWT yes. At the time Nunavut etc was part of NWT so I count that!

eheheheh.

Yeah, never even been to Nfld! Gotta go one day.

I won't even start with all the countries I've been to.

(okay, so now y'all are thinking is she really a spy or was her family really on the run) I"ll never tell!