Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight training

Is anyone just doing weight training and losing weight?

If so what are you doing sets,reps and how many days a week?

I have a heel spur and cant do cardio like I want to.

Thanks

i am doing some wt training but it depends on the machine how much i lift. i mostly do 3 sets of 10 reps. my arms are weak and i am restricted on how much i can lift while i am healing (6 wks post). i am doing btwn 15 and 40 lbs on most arm exer and 30-45 on my legs. my exer physio at the clinic told me that lifting may not burn as many calories as cardio but that it would burn inches so thats not bad. can you ride a exer bike? that may be one way to get some cardio in. i also have a GREAt pilates dvd that gets my heart goin but most of the exer are on the floor on your back and side, it's the Marie Windsor set and the 20 min workout is fabulous!

I have been hitting the gym 6-7 days a week. My personal trainer (the 1 free session that comes with my membership) has me doing a minimum of 45 min cardio every day. Abs every day I go and then alternate between arms and legs every other day. She told me to do 2 sets of 15 on all the machines.

i asked her about how to determine the proper weight for each machine, and she said that by the 8th rep it should start to burn a little bit so that by the 15th you are pushing through to finish the set. No burn by 8 = too light. Burn before 8 = too heavy.

So far, yes I am losing weight.

Good luck to you!!!

Weight training is great for losing weight, also as you weight train try carideo with it 3 to 4 time's a week. walking is great way to lose pounds.

And it's the easyest way to get exercise beside's Swimming! Easy on your Knee's and Back!

Make walking ( Your Personal Challenge? To your self ) Just get out there and walk. start out slow like I did one mile at a time. In a week or two add some more distance every week go alittle bit farther!

As for weight do lots of Rep's with lite weight. then build up after a while you will START SEEING MORE MASS AND YOUR BODY WILL START TO TONE UP!

IF YOU CAN TRY WALKING 20 MINUTE'S 5 TIMES A WEEK, MAKE TIME TAKE TIME FOR YOUR SELF! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! THE ADD.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED MORE HELP LET ME NO, AND I, WILL MAKE YOU A WORK OUT ROUTINE! GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS. JOHNQ.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: JOE YOU DON'T LOOK TO BAD i WAS ONCE YOUR SHAPE, IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME BUT YOU CAN DO IT! I CAN'T DO ANY AB WORK OUT. because or disk buldge's many!

is there any where you can walk in a pool? thats what I DO BECAUSE OF A BAD SI jOINT.WELL GOOD LUCK!

I do weight training, but I do not believe in multiple sets.

Reason #1: You spend over half your time at the gym resting between sets

Reason #2: You wear out your joints

Reason #1 is obvious. If you are doing 5 sets of 10, you spend as much time resting between sets as you do, doing the reps and when you add in the time spent walking between the machines and setting seat and pin position/plate amounts, there is too much wasted time.

Reason #2: Every muscle in the body, including the brain (not technically a muscle) and the heart benefit from usage. But JOINTS DO NOT BENEFIT FROM USAGE. JOINTS WEAR OUT.

I use the 8-13 method of working out. Lets say I have not been to the gym for 6 months or it was my first time ever at the gym.

Let's also speculate that I am using a Nautilus type machine which requires a pin to be moved to select the number of plates in use.

I guess how many plates I should use. I could make the guess more educated by looking for someone who seems to be my size and age and seeing how many plates they are using or if the last person on the machine was much stronger looking and used 10 plates, I might try 6 plates. Then I do as many repetitions as I can with good form. Good form means no jerking the weights, coming to a full stop at both ends of travel and letting the plates down at least as slowly as they went up.

I want to be able to do no less than 8 repetitions nor more than 13. Let's say I can only do 7 reps before I am exhausted. That means that I had too many plates. I note that down so that when I come back tomorrow (or the next day), I will use one less plate = 5. If I had done 14 or more, then I would note down to add one more plate next time = 7. If I made 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13, then I would use 6 plates again the next time I come back and each time I come to the gym, I try to do at least as many or more reps until I am over 13. Anytime you get over 13 and then add a plate on your next visit, you will automatically drop back down toward 8 reps.

I can not take credit for this technique, nor the abuse for suggesting it. I learned it at “Jack La Lanne” and have used it for years and I always build muscle quickly and add plates and strength quickly. In the town where I live, the local hospital owns 5 gyms and they staff them with health professionals. They teach the 10-15 system, which is the same as I use except the minimum is 10 rather than 8 and the plate change point is 15 rather than 13. In either case, you do only one set and move on.

My typical workout is to go on a cardio machine first for 5 minutes. Then stretch. Then back on a cardio for from 15 to 45 minutes depending on the type of machine and the condition I am in. Sometimes I miss months without going to the gym and sometimes I am a good boy and go 5 to 7 times a week for months.

After the cardio, I go to an arm machine. Then I go to a back, then ab, then arm, then back, then ab and by then I can start doing some leg machines. The idea is to rest each muscle area while you are working others. I never stop moving and get cardio benefits even while doing arms or back or abs. I work every body part every visit. Yes, I am sore for the first couple of days, but I learned when I played football in college, that Tuesday was the hardest day of practice. Why? Because the game was Saturday, Sunday was a day off, Monday was the first day of practice and Tuesday you were sore from Monday. When you get into a constant regime, the soreness goes away.

Because I am not using either extremely high weights, nor an extremely high number of reps (5 sets of 10 = 50), my body does not get bogged down trying to rebuild from over exertion.

Every trainer will tell you that my method is wrong. They will quote Arnold Schwarzenegger or Mr. Universe, but are we in that class? The hospital that owns the 5 gyms in my area doesn't believe in multiple sets either. Who would you rather listen to, a health professional or a Gold's Gym or Bally's Spa personal trainer?

I'll go with the health professional. I am 61, have a BMI in the high 30's and amaze the youngsters at my gym.