Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I'm reaching out to those who have been sleeved for quite some time. I am only one week post op and have made good efforts to transform my gulping into sipping when drinking. When I slip up and forget and it goes down, my body definitely reminds me to take it easy next time. Does that ever get any better??? I'm not talking about shotgunning a beer, I'm talking about when I get back in the gym and go to aerobics class and we take a Water break and I'm winded, thirsty and need to rehydrate. Before surgery I could probably take down 32 ounces of water during a class easily and sometimes had to fill up after class and would drink another 32 oz. Will there ever be a time when drinking something as simple as water will get easier and not so painful?

I'm two weeks out and let me tell you, you will notice a difference by this time next week. I don't think we'll ever be able to gulp down Water quite like we used to but it gets a lot easier. I drink water now and don't even think about it where as at one week out I could tell I needed to go slower. It's amazing what a difference a few days make.

Oh yes, it gets easier...really soon. Like Gene said, every week you will notice the difference in how much Water you can handle. I still cant gulp like I used to but I can get enough to satisfy the thirst. Good luck!

Yes, it does get better! Everyone is different, so be patient with your body's own timeline. But for me, I was able to take "normal" drinks of Water by 4 weeks out. By the second month, I was able to finish a 23oz water bottle during my one hour walk. I can't gulp and gulp and gulp on end without some feedback (usually a giant air bubble feeling then burp). I drink now just as I did before surgery, and you will too.

You are correct, time will make all the difference. Until you can stay hydrated, don't run off and sweat out everything. You need to have clearance from your surgeon to go back full force at the gym - mine was 6 weeks although I was back at work in a week.

What helped me? Drinking out of a shot glass so I would not gulp. I used sugar free Poweraide or G2 gatorade to ensure I did not get dehyrated. That is your most important job right now...healing and hydration, not sweating. You will lose the weight. Love your attitude and wanting to be back at the gym so soon.

Advice given before - just go slow. A few days makes a difference. Can you imagine what a difference a month with make? Congrats on being sleeved.

PS - I can gulp easily, patience.

I guess I'm reaching out to those who have been sleeved for quite some time. I am only one week post op and have made good efforts to transform my gulping into sipping when drinking. When I slip up and forget and it goes down, my body definitely reminds me to take it easy next time. Does that ever get any better??? I'm not talking about shotgunning a beer, I'm talking about when I get back in the gym and go to aerobics class and we take a Water break and I'm winded, thirsty and need to rehydrate. Before surgery I could probably take down 32 ounces of Water during a class easily and sometimes had to fill up after class and would drink another 32 oz. Will there ever be a time when drinking something as simple as water will get easier and not so painful?

I can easily get in about 40 Oz in a workout session now. I'm going on 2 years post op this summer. I don't believe it was until around 6 months post op that I was able start gulping though not as much as right now. I can gulp almost a third of a 16 oz bottle so long as nothing else is in my stomach at the time.

That said, it felt like I'd never get here! So I definitely understand how you feel. Rest assured though it will happen eventually. For now though definitely take your time with sipping. :)

Yes you will be, you are still swollen, so make sure you sip, sip, sip!

I am almost a year out. I run and do classes at the club. While it does not hurt to drink anymore, I cannot *gulp* like I used to. 4 oz max and I have to do it slowly. When running, I have to come to a complete stop as air will get in and I cannot continue running until I *burp*. I just drink at every break at class and am smart about drinking when I run. It is still cool here in the Pacific NW (noon-59 degrees), so, I haven't had the long runs in any heat, yet. Over an hour, I can drink 32 oz, no problem.

I used to be a member of the sub 2 club. I could drink a 12 oz beer in less than 2 seconds. Yeah, not doing that anymore.

I'm only 3 mos out but I can kind of gulp... maybe swizzle? Bah, I dont' know what to call it. I cannot drink 32 oz straight without even coming up for air (yes, I could really do that). But I can take/swallow several mouthfuls in succession. How many depends on my restriction, which does vary a bit. Usually 3 - 5 mouthfuls is not a problem, but I might feel a tweak or two after 3 or 4 at other times. Not pain, just a little nudge telling me not to drink any more just yet.

I'm only 3 mos out but I can kind of gulp... maybe swizzle? Bah, I dont' know what to call it. I cannot drink 32 oz straight without even coming up for air (yes, I could really do that). But I can take/swallow several mouthfuls in succession. How many depends on my restriction, which does vary a bit. Usually 3 - 5 mouthfuls is not a problem, but I might feel a tweak or two after 3 or 4 at other times. Not pain, just a little nudge telling me not to drink any more just yet.

Lol Wheetsin I was the same way, I was definitely a chugger pre-op!