Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

im not even hungry ever... which is hard to choke the protien shakes down due to flavor. i get them down but im a little confused on the process.. can i over do it on fluids? i feel thirsty all the time and not hungry. and am deathly afraid of stretching my "pouch"

i had surgery on june 18 2012 and have just gotten through my 1st week of post op diet. also my Vitamins made me so sick to my stomach and want to vomit.. i just dont understand it. any tips or knowledge on this subject?

I dont think it's possible to drink too much fluids. BUT it might be possible to drink too much at one time. That's the issue I'm having myself at the moment. I find myself constantly sip sip siping at my drinks wishing I could take larger swallows, but I''m not sure if I'm allowed to so soon or ever for that matter.

I'd say drink all you want but don't go crazy chugging large amounts or you might run into problems.

Soon2b, I was suffering the same issue as you. Try to get in at least 64 ounces of Water. You just had surgery, you don't need to be worried about the Protein as much as you do the Water. If you can't handle the Protein shakes itself try taking a step back and try maybe one of the Isopure flavors. Protein Shakes that I loved pre-surgery made me so ill.

Important help: If you were given med cups (one ounce or 30ml medicine cups) pour your water into that and take sips from it. I normally get 2-3 sips were one ounce. I can do 3 cups in pretty quick sip succession, usually the 4 ounce may be a bit too much, I just slow it down a bit. If you don't have them, see if you have a shot glass. It really truly is easier to drink out of a small cup than it is out of water bottle. I swallow way too much air drinking out of a bottle. I will have to talk to my doctor wed. about this. I'm 3 weeks out and going out in public, I worry about getting dehydrated because I really hate drinking out of the water bottle because of the gas I seem to take in, no matter how I try to sip out of the bottle.

I have been told by my surgeon, nurses, and nutritionist that the most important thing to get in at first is your fluids. If most things make you nauseated, try some decaff tea in a flavor you may like. Bigelow Peppermint Decaff Tea with a truvia or some artificial sweetener of your choice is actually very soothing on the belly.

Unfortunately, taste buds change after surgery and it does get better. I have tried GNC brand, Pure Protein shakes, Muscle Milk etc. and though I liked them pre-surgery after surgery the taste became like elmers glue disgustingness. Luckily almost 3 weeks out, I am able tog et one shake a day in and i'm hitting about 40-45 grams of protein a day, which I need to start upping, but as long as I get my 64 ounces of water in and I keep trying, I'm fine. The surgeon assured me that I have enough protein stores that it's not going to affect me.

Dehydration will affect you and cause harm, so make sure you get in your 64 ounces of water, try sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free jellos, water, decaff tea and then slowly retry the protein shakes just 2 ounces a time if you have to.

Good luck.

i could drink all day and sip all day.. is it true i should only have 6 oz per hour? and i just became more confused seeing some other posts that fluids go right through?thanks for the info btw!! much appreciated

This is a confusing topic for me too.. seems like too many contradicting ideas. But the same is pretty much true for all the pre-op/post-op diets too.

I am just drinking small sips at a time. If it doesn't hurt me, I figure it is fine. It does take me a long time to finish a glass though. One thing it seems like is I am ALWAYS thirsty and it doesn't seem to go away.