Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have now experienced something that I consider really odd. I don't know if I am being naive, or if people are just nuts sometimes or if I should have genuine concern...

Someone privately messaged me to tell me that having surgery in Mexico is horrible and that they know someone who died down there from it.

I don't know if it occured to this person that -

1. NO ONE makes the decision to have VSG without LOTS and LOTS of thought, research and desperation. Sure, I wish I was one of the few and fortunate and either had fantastic insurance that would pay for it, or had bags of money lying around to self-pay in the USA. But.. I simply don't.

2. Infection, complications and death can happen with ANY surgery, and for those that believe only the USA has good medical care - all of those happen everyday in the USA too.

3. My health and current co-morbidities are bad enough that I need to act quickly. I am not having a VSG for vanity reasons (although I do admit that I long to look good again too). I am having the surgery as a tool to save my life!

Emailing someone who is already nervous about surgery in general but has made the tough choice of VSG about gloom and doom in Mexico (when the same damn crap happens ANYWHERE) is in my opinion cruel. I know that many have opinions of Mexican healthcare, and I also know that only a few, if any have actually been there themselves. I know there's a lot of fear and unknowns and that in itself breeds more fear. I also compare having the VSG in Mexico much to having a baby at home with a Midwife. I birthed 6 children at home that very way. My bed wasn't sterile and I somehow survived. No, I'm not trying to say that the Mexican hospital doesn't have to be sterile - we're talking about abdominal surgery - not birth. I'm just saying that just because something is a little more laid back and not as rigid on details doesn't mean it's not safe.

Lastly, I know people that do these things do them because they feel all noble and like they are doing others a favor by "warning" them. WRONG. There's nothing noble about making someone feel scared of the only option they have to regain their life. My surgeon is licensed, certified and safe. EVERY surgeon has deaths behind him, or infections that have occured. EVERY SURGEON. If you are racist or biased or just feel like "your way is the only way", that's just great, but please don't message me. There are lots of ways to slice an apple and I will slice this apple my way, thanks.

Someone privately messaged me to tell me that having surgery in Mexico is horrible and that they know someone who died down there from it.

MamaOF8

OMG

I can't believe someone would actually write such a cruel thing. I'm sorry you had to read this.

You did alllll your research concerning the surgery, where to have it done etc., which is your business any ways

Before WLS everyone is nervous, and to add fuel to the fire......someone would write such a note.

To make all these mean comments by and to a stranger is unheard of. I wish you had not heard these terrible remarks, when as you said, you are nervous anyways before WLS.

I'm sorry you were the recipient of such a horrible note.

Mexico will be great

We're all sliding over on the losers bench to welcome you to sleeveland

Good thoughts

best wishes

adios

kathy

And?

I agree, I was lucky to have the sleeve covered by my insurance, but I was denied once and had to redo my 6 month diet, if I was not approved the second time, Mexico was my next go to option.

One should not assume they know anyone's financial or emotional state of being. I'm sort that someone had the audacity to send you such a msg. However it is clear you have a personality of a leader and not a follower, I'm glad to see that you are standing up to this persons unsolicited advice.

Best of luck in Mexico and wih your surgery in general.

P.s. 10 years ago I had Lipo done in Mexico and had no problems and would not hesitate to go back to Mexico for a procedure.

I'm disgusted someone would treat you as this person did. You owe no one an explanation.

Guess what? I know someone who went to Mexico for surgery and had absolutely no complications and would do it again in a heart beat. That person is me!!! At 370lbs and no health insurance I could not afford the surgery in the US. I chose Mexico as a way so save my life despite all the well meaning naysayers in my life. No one can live my life but me. So glad I trusted myself to make the right decision to pave the road to a healthy lifestyle. I was sleeved on August 23, 2011 so it has been almost 1year now.

I got mine done in Mexico on the 5th and I'm doing great. Would go back to Dr. Rodriguez anytime to get it done. I'm at work on my tablet in no pain.

Mama, I am sorry you had that experience. That is rude, obnoxious and ignorant. Clearly, that person does not realize that Medical Tourism to Mexico is nothing new. Nor does s/he realize that Mexico has some of the leading physicians in terms of bariatric care.

I don't think you need to justify your reasons for going to Mexico. I have read the posts of a couple of people who were approved by their insurance and still decided to go to Mexico because they felt great about the doctors there. Whether you did it because of finances or simply because you are Enlightened enough to know that you can get great care there, it is your business. I had my lapband done in the U.S. with an outstanding physican. I paid cash for it. Guess what? It didn't work. Now I am happy to go to Mexico to have it yanked out and have myself sleeved.

Sadly, I just saw another post that seemed designed to stir up drama about some docs. My sense is that folks either have very little going on in their lives OR are the people always causing trouble. Next time someone steps to you with that foolishness, just respond: Get outta my face!

People have different perceptions of Mexico. Most are uninformed. I know several people who have gone to Mexico and had this surgery with no complications. I in fact, will most likely go to Mexico for plastic surgery because it's not covered by my insurance. I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend, so I have to make choices that fit my budget.

The surgery will go fine and you will be ecstatic when the weight is disappearing and you have you good health back with a healthy skinny body to boot! ;)

So sorry someone did that to you. I live on a border town to Mexico and to us it's a way is life. Growing up my parents and i had doctors in Mexico since no insurance here. And the care was excellent. I have heard so many people say how many more hospitals are much nicer than ours. So don't them get to you. We don't need more stress.

Thank you all for your very kind and comforting posts. I feel much better now. I want to believe that the person that messaged me did it out of what they feel is genuine concern (whether ignorant and unfounded or not) and I am not going to respond or harbor any animosity. It's just so true - there is enough stress involved in ANY surgery in ANY country. Adding to someone's load is NOT helpful. :) I am on Atkins now in preparation for starting the liquid diet on July 9th. Time is passing quickly now and I will be flying down soon! I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE MY LIFE BACK!

Sadly, I just saw another post that seemed designed to stir up drama about some docs. My sense is that folks either have very little going on in their lives OR are the people always causing trouble. Next time someone steps to you with that foolishness, just respond: Get outta my face!

I saw a thread like that as well. I just tell people, "Jesus loves you". and I usually don't get a response back. hee hee. God is Good!!