Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need immediate reply please

hi,

i had my band placed in april. here is my question? can i take a pill? i woke up with a very sore neck and back. liquid tylenol isn't doing it. My doctor never said i can't take pills but it was never addressed. i just want to take two should this be a problem??? Please say it is okay!!! thanks for replying.

tina

ps. i haven't had to take any other medication over the last several months and this is the first time it has come up

I take pills with no problem. Guess it depends on how tight you are? The only thing my doc told me was to stay away from advil... and NSAIDS (?) as they can sit in the pouch too long and cause damage.

Hope you feel better soon!

pills are ok and motrin is ok once in a while, just make sure that you eat first before taking them. The issue of Motrin came up for me recently and my office said that I could take them once in a great while but anything more and I would have to be on a proton pump inhibitor. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

I am almost 4 weeks post-op and I take pills all the time. When in doubt, I cut them up with a pill cutter to make them smaller. I am not allowed to take NSAIDs (Advil, asparin, etc) because of the band so my only choice is Tylenol. I actually called my pharmacy about this yesterday to confirm what is NSAID and what isn't.

Marie

I crushed a tylenol PM in a ziplock baggie last week adn stirred it into some plain yogurt last week. It was nasty but al least the yogurt didn't give any false sense of security going in.

Try a little coffee...sometimes the caffiene is just the thing.

Hope you feel better soon!

I worry about the same thing. I've just had neck surgery and have 2 more ruptured discs in my neck and back and I HAVE to take hydrocodone (generic loritab). I worry to death about it. I would be in a mental institute if I had to endure this pain by myself. Dr. Curry says it will be okay and I've cut my dosage in half but I have no problem taking the pills and I've had my 2nd fill and I've got a perfect fill. I didn't want to get so tight that I couldn't take a pill. I pray this will last for a while.

I was told that anything smaller than an M&M would be fine. For pain meds I have asked for liquid and Loritab comes in liquid form. I bought a pill crusher for my daughters meds and she takes them mixed in apple sauce. I have also crushed meds for myself. When were were out and I didn't have any liquid pain meds or my crusher I asked the waiter for 2 spoons and crushed the pills between the spoons, worked like a charm. Now I can just snap a tylenol in half and take it. I always make sure to drink at least 16 oz of something to wash out the pouch, can never be too careful. ~Mandy

Yeah I am worried about taking my two Metformin pills post op since they are so big! I hope they don't get stuck.

Sarah

I have no problem taking Tylenol. Anything bigger might be a problem though, and I haven't tried it.

I crush my pills and take them with liquid x-strength tylenol. I tried Tylenol Arthritis once and the second of the two pills must have turned sideways and I felt like it was stuck. Anything that is not extended time release can be crushed.

Actually you should always consult a pharmacist (sp?) before crushing any pill. I was told that the coating is there for a reason on some meds, even those not labeled time released. Not trying to be a smart ass but it is always best to ask. I was told not to crush my antibiotics, I had to have the doctor call in a liquid. Be safe and ask. ~Mandy

I agree...not all pills should be crushed. So far I haven't had any trouble swallowing pills. When I'm prescribed medicine I usually ask for the script to be written for either pill or liquid form then I take it to the pharmacy and ask to see the pill size and make my decision. They are usually understanding when I tell them that my surgery prevents me from swallowing anything too big.

I actually had a note put in the computer system at my pharmacy that says no pills larger than an M&M. They actaully called me to tell me that the antibiotics were too big and they already had a call in to the doctors office requesting something different. ~Mandy