Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two mnths out from surgery n is wondering can I have bread? I am wanting a pbnj sandwich

There are some mini thins sold at the grocery that make good sandwiches. I don't eat bread much at all, but I keep one package of them in the freezer forever it seems like. Bread and my sleeve don't get along very well, even 9 months out. I've read that toasted bread is supposed to be easier to digest.

Good luck. :)

I to felt the need for a sandwich I had a 1/2 turkey did not sit that well at 3 mo. out felt like a rock for awhile tried it again at 4 mo. sit much better but was not that satisfing so now I sometimes order a 1/2 sandwich and Soup and eat the filling! I ate alot of Peanut Butter n banana for a snack early on which I had never liked before! Now I am addicted to just peanut butter 1 teaspoon at a time! may need to see a psyc to kick the habit!

Smileen....I hear bout the Peanut Butter. I keep those individual packets of Jif with me at all times. May be a little high in fat but the Protein is great and it makes a great snack. I'm gonna have to try it with bananas

I have had bread a few times, I always was a carb addict and when I have had bread it gives me cravings so I try to stay away from it.

You might want to try some low carb wraps, I use to eat them all the time pre-op and they are pretty good.Theres a good brand at Walmart (I cant think of the name at the moment) but there low carb wheat, I think they are 5 carbs and 60 calories for a whole wrap, which you wouldnt be able to eat but I cut them in half.

I eat bread now and did eat bread from a few months out. I bake a lot and make my own breads of all types - flatbreads, sandwich breads, pastries, etc. I cannot eat a lot of it, even close to two years out. I still can't eat an entire sandwich made from two slices of bread.

Depending on what type of diet you're following and what your trigger foods are, I'd consider adding it in occasionally if it sits well and you won't have an issue with eating it. My bigger concern would not be carbs but physical discomfort or pain. Bread and Pasta are two foods that still, to this day, can push me from one bite being hunky dory to the next causing serious discomfort.

So if you do it, go thin and go with a tiny portion to start. Eat slowly and stop as soon as you get your full signal (runny nose, hiccups, feeling of fullness, whatever it is for you). If you take it one bite too many, you'll regret it, I promise. An alternative that's more likely to sit well at this point is a piece of plain matzo or other cracker that you like, spread with the PB&J.

~Cheri

Edited to add: I still can't do wraps or tortillas, either. They act like Pasta to me - two bites and I feel sick. If you try this instead, go slow and small just like with bread.

My NUT said that when you toast bread it changes the make up of it so when you chew and swallow it, it doesnt expand like untoasted bread would. I make myself 1/2 a turkey sandwich with cheese and low cal dij mustard on multi grain bread and it was delicious. I wasnt able to eat the last couple bites of it, but it didnt cause me any discomfort and Im 6 weeks out. More than anything what I craved after my surgery was a turkey sandwich so I took the chance and it worked for me. :)

I echo what the others say. Short answer is YES you can have bread, long answer is YES - but be careful. Bread as pointed out is a filling cheap high carb food. And it's largely bread and carbs are what got us into this mess in the first place.

I disagree with the TOTALLY NO BREAD "rule" and say "all things in moderation".

I eat bread occasionally. If I eat a sandwich I typically eat ONE piece of bread and fold it over to make a half sandwich. I will eat two whole pieces for a toasted cheese sandwich, one piece for an egg-in-the-basket. Most time I skip all Buns but a few weeks ago we stopped at a burger joint and they had pretty small Jr. size burgers with smallish bun, one burger each and an order of fries between us and I was full up.

Hey Rootman, I totally agree with your attitude of "all things in moderation". Having anything on the "never again" list will just make it all the more tempting and likely to cause damage when we succumb to our craving/desire. And of course, using caution to see how we tolerate is essential!

Also, hearing that you very occasionally still have a "burger and fries" in small quantities just further underscores that we don't have to GIVE UP anything. Just use good sense, adhere to the proper nutritional guidelines 98% of the time, and once in a while, feel free to stray a bit outside the lines and have a small (very small) treat!

This is the key to long term success and emotional well-being where our food intake is concerned. We can eat healthy and still indulge a bit occasionally! Just like "regular" people who don't struggle with their weight do...........

Yeah, the key is to EAT NORMALLY for once in our life, that is with portions that they had mid last century. Can you believe that McDonals started out selling those little bitty hamburgers as their full menu item, you know the ones that go by the simple name of HAMBURGER for like $.99 or less. That was IT back then, that and a small sleeve of fires, hardly equal to a kiddy meal today.

We can eat anything that we want, but it's best to eat wisely, concentrate on Protein first, then carbs stay at or under or caloric needs and like Webchickadee said, indulge a LITTLE - VERY LITTLE - once in a while.

bread will expand and fill you up fast, and you need to fill up on Protein first. So if you have a craving try the Oroweat mini sandwich thins like Lissa mentioned. I make myself a sandwich on one, and then usually end up removing the top piece and just eating the bottom one,, if that! I find I don't have that much of a liking for any bread anymore and prefer meat and cheese or tune on Wasa crispbread crackers.