Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Do To Keep Yourself Sane?

@Mina T, I am speechless what a great, awesome testimony! Thank you for sharing.

@Dyscordia we are in the same boat. I am beginning this journey again for the 2nd or 3rd time and I'm so over all the hoopla and just want it to be done already. I'm extremely impatient and want what I want, NOW. I have lost some weight before, 30-40 lbs. with the help of my husband who is an ex marine and a cop now. He works out all the time and runs miles at a time. I want to run so bad.....and when I listened and beat toyed myself around that track I lost 25 lbs in two weeks and the rest in the following two weeks. I am the queen of excuses as he says and I stopped because my body hurt soooo bad it was difficult to care for my kids. As expected I gain it all back plus some. Got tired again, hired a personal trainer last year in March she gave me great tips on workouts and eating right. I lost 30 lbs from march to April, was nine lbs from being under 300 then my gallbladder tried to kill me, or so I thought at the time. Had gallbladder surgery at the beginning of May took me a while to fully recover, no longer had the personal trainer, got too expensive, couldn't take hubby's brutal workouts and now I'm back at 340. However I started walking about 3 weeks ago walking 3 miles while hub ran and he just told me walking was a waste of time for results I wanted, so for about a week I've been running the straight side of the track n walking the curves about 5 times. Hurts like heck but no pain, no gain, right? I have the my fitness pal for a few days and I'm still trying to figure it out. Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on....

Hi D, to preare myself I did a lot of reading and research on the GS. I also made lists of what I should take to the hospital, what foods I need to buy the type of protien shakes that taste the best, how much wt I should lose in one month. What new utinsels I would need (smaler plate, baby spoon and a shot glass to sip, sip, sip the first month after surgery, etc. I also made the decision to no longer overeat and to eat when I am truly hungry. Finally, I went to a support group meeting in my local area (because it was mandatory) I learned some new info and I found out that the face to face group format was not for me. I much rather search for info and support on this site. Good luck to you :D .

MrzSongbird I would love to buddy up with you. I feel like we could learn a lot from each other as we journey on. What do you think? Also please feel free to add me to myfitnesspal if you want, I can teach you how to use it. My name on there is Discordya as my forum name :D I will be honest in saying that I think your husband is WRONG about running. Although you do burn more calories in general running vs walking, people of OUR WEIGHT CLASS should not force that stress on our joints and muscles. I think it is important to prepare and train your body first to be able to do that type of exercise. We have a lot of skin and fat that pulls down on our bones and joints, back being the #1. I have read in lots of places not to do that kind of running until you are ready. You will only hurt yourself from forcing it! But if you are doing it then I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Finding MeMe, I think those are all great ideas. I have been insanely researching the VSG and writing down notes on things I will need, etc. I found this forum has some pretty awesome posts full of lists of things you'd need at the hospital, some questions answered about what brand of Protein shakes people like the most generally, etc. I really think that soon I will run out of things I need to really note until I get to the surgeon and get a date and all of that. Right now it's too hard to tell when this will actually happen since I need to move first :(

Sign up for myfitnesspal.com and start charting your food now' date=' so you can see where problems lie in regards to carbohydrates and see if you can get your 80 grams of Protein in. Start charting your Water, no harm in working up to that 64 ounces now.

Start walking now. There is no time like the present. I had a six month program I had to be on before my preop shake and surgery is Monday.

I lost almost 70 pounds in that time. I made the choice to start now so I will be in better shape to use the sleeve.

Learn to not drink with your food and to wait 1/2 hour after you eat. Wean off Pop, caffeine in advance.

Learn to chew chew chew chew your food. Learn to eat your meat first, vegetables second, starches & carbs third.

Realize the sleeve is a tool it's not a cure all. Once you get the sleeve, it doesn't mean you aren't addicted to food anymore. Start working on that in advance by adding more Protein.< /p>

I am no different than anyone else here, I have an issue, but I made the choice to use my time wisely. I didn't use the time to binge during the pre-approval stage as though I will never get to eat again. I used the time to face the truth. If I over ate I didn't beat myself but I made myself accountable by seeing on paper what my problem is.

Everyone is different. I have gone from 200 - 300 for years now and I've been on every diet known to mankind. Making yourself accountable is the only way to succeed. Not putting blame on yourself or others for overeating, I overate because so and so ticked me off, or I was sad. No excuses. It's between you and yourself.

That's the stuff I learned over the past 7 months waiting for my surgery on Monday. Everyone is responsible for themselves and their actions, I just want to succeed and I spent the time getting my mind and body mentally and physically ready for this challenge.

Good luck to you!

ps - I understand I come off like a know it all sometimes, because I know what is right for me, it may not be right for you, but sometimes the proof is in the pudding you know...70 pounds pre-op is pretty darn good, and I feel that if more people used the opportunity wisely and took responsibility for themselves they would feel as proud of themselves as I do. I think I'm worth it, and it's a good feeling to finally think I'm worth something![/quote']

I want to start a plan and routine prior to surgery too. I've lost over 100 pounds in a year twice in my life, so since I lose weight really fast, how do I know where to start with the plan? I'm a BMI of 41, so if I lose 70 lbs prior to surgery, I'll end up getting denied. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by being proactive. I still need this surgery to be able to keep weight off. Also, you're doing an amazing job, you'll be so successful, because you're prepared!

Ready4success you could always start practicing but not necessarily being in a strict diet now, if that makes sense. Like you could start making it a point to measure smaller portions of foods you like to eat for example, and if you think you're starting to lose too much and are afraid of being denied then perhaps stop for a while until you are accepted. Does that make sense? Or you could just try sampling various Protein powders and shakes etc or just getting a feel for what kind of exercise/s you might want to take up after you're allowed to post-op.

Ready4success you could always start practicing but not necessarily being in a strict diet now, if that makes sense. Like you could start making it a point to measure smaller portions of foods you like to eat for example, and if you think you're starting to lose too much and are afraid of being denied then perhaps stop for a while until you are accepted. Does that make sense? Or you could just try sampling various Protein powders and shakes etc or just getting a feel for what kind of exercise/s you might want to take up after you're allowed to post-op.

I was just thinking the same thing about the Protein drinks. Everyone says it was sort of trial and error, so I could work on finding the kind I like. My NUT said not to try to lose any weight, but to just start focusing on getting the 64oz of Water and exercise 3 days a week. This is going to drive me nuts the next couple of months. Just approve me already!