Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Questions

Hello to everyone! I was banded on July 27th and I go in for my first fill on this Friday. I keep reading that some people are rejected for their for their first fill. I have lost 27lbs since the surgery and nothing the last week and a half or since I have started solids.

I was also not happy with the very unpersonal relationship with my surgeon. I have only seen him at the initial seminar. His assistant tried to tell me to come to their office (I am self pay by the way) for my fills. She never mentioned that the first year of my fills were free at the surgery center where I was banded. I nurse whispered that one to me after surgery.

Here are my questions:

1. What are the reasons they reject someone the first fill? Im having a very hard time with quantity of food right now.

2. Are there cons to using my surgery center for my fills or should I stick with the Surgeons office? (I hear that my unpersonal Doc doesnt do fills anymore)

Sorry for the length...my first post!

Fills are done based on the individual's experience with the band. If your weight loss has slowed, you feel little to no restriction, and you can eat solids with no problem in good sized portions, you're due for a fill. Some people "like" to be overfilled thinking it will make the weight loss faster. In effect, NOT being able to eat solids usually results in weight gain.

As for the place, I would go where they are the best priced as long as they have a proven track record.

Thanks...its all so new Im not sure what full feels like. I know I think I can eat more than I should and its difficult not to over do it on a few days. As for their experience...I have no idea there either. They only do obesity surgeries there so one would hope that they have plenty of experience! Thanks again for the quick response. I think I am due for a fill.

:hungry:

Hi Benfon:D

Didn't your nurse or surgen tell you before your first fill you will stay the same or even possible put a few pounds back on. To be honest i found out a lot with this site. But i did get some information to guild me.

Lana :)

I wish my surgeon would even give me the time of day. Had I known the complete lack of attention (from the surgeon) was going to be like it has been then I probably would have gone to another surgeon. He is not available...I should say his staff is available. He has not been present with the exeption of the FREE seminar. Im not bitter about the band but I am feeling a bit left out on a limb. I asked questions about my first fill and hey only toldd me when and how much it would cost. Im feeling a little like I just came off the assembly line still searching for my owner. All is well though. Plenty of nice people here and Im sure the support groups will be equaly valuable.

:straight

HI Benfon

I am so sorry you are feeling like this. :confused: I sure the band will help you. Don't be frighten to ask questions here there a lot of support. We are all traveling down the same road and we all need a little support.:nervous

Lana Hugs:girl_hug:

Wow You've Done Well At Weight Loss Before A Fill, Good For You. All I Can Say About Fills Is This ( Get Er Done) As Long As The Filler Is Qualified To To The Deed. Most Fill Centers Are Done By Nurses Or Practioners. These Folks Can Give You All The Support Needed As Can A Local Support Group. My Fills Require Xray So I Pay 350 Each Untill My Port Gets Easier To Find. So Free Sounds Pretty Good. I've Had Three Fill In 3 Months. Banded In May 06. All Fills By Nurses, I Am Extreamly Happy With The Restriction And Results Now. I Thought I Was Practicing Band Rules Until I Had My Third Fill Now I Really Use The Rules Of Chewing And Sipping Becuse If I Dont The Result Is Ugly!!!! Forget The Doc I Bet His Staff Can Meet Your Needs Better. Good Luck

Vickie

Hello, a fill should be one poke into the port and vavoom your done. At least it is with floro. I have a scary story on my first attempt at a fill, but understand my port can not be felt through the skin yet, to much fat I guess. I allowed a fill center to polk me 4 times to the area that they thought the port should be then I worried myself sick for two weeks that the tubing could have been damaged, it wasent but I never want to worrie like that again. Filling since has been a breeze, Ive had three now to reach good restriction. Good luck, vickie

Hi Benfon,

I see from your profile you are from Houston. I live in Clute. I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience with your dr. It is a shame that they have to behave that way.:) They are no better that the rest of us!I believe that the first course anyone wanting to be a dr should have to take is COMPASSION 101.!! I am currently doing research and gathering info so that I can make a decision on which Dr. to choose. If you don't mind, would you tell me who your dr is?

Thanks so much and good luck to you.

Sherri:)

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery on 7/18/06 and have scheduled my first fill for 9/13. How do you know what kind of band you have and what it will hold? Should I be able to feel where my port is? At this time, I don't feel as though I have much restriction. I'm going to have to practice chewing and swallowing slowly. How long do you have to wait for a second fill if the first one doesn't create much restriction? So many questions.

I have lost 27lbs since the surgery and nothing the last week and a half or since I have started solids.

Are you kidding? That is fantastic. Any wieght loss during the pre fill stage is a bonus and it is quite normal to not lose any weight once you go back to solids, it will take a few weeks for your body to adjust to it having real food. Everyone has experienced this going from liquids or mushies to solids, you are normal.

Here is a great site on fills, I hope you find it helpful to you

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

Also here is a great thread I started months back for newbies. Read it! It may help also

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9148&highlight=inamed+handbook

My surgeon decided on my band size during a pre-op appointment. He made me lift my shirt, he put his hands on my rib cage area and said "it'll be the smaller one" which turns out is 10cm/4cc.

I can feel where my port is but I have to poke around for it. It does not protrude up and out so it's not visually noticable. Mine is located just below my sternum area (centre of my chest where my bra strap sits).

My doctor allows you to come back at virtually any time I believe. I had my first fill yesterday and he encouraged me to wait a while so I'm familiar with how the fill feels/functions. From what I've read, it could take a little while to "settle" so I won't judge for atleast a month or so.

Good luck!

Marie

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery on 7/18/06 and have scheduled my first fill for 9/13. How do you know what kind of band you have and what it will hold? Should I be able to feel where my port is? At this time, I don't feel as though I have much restriction. I'm going to have to practice chewing and swallowing slowly. How long do you have to wait for a second fill if the first one doesn't create much restriction? So many questions.

I was banded August 1st and my first fill is scheduled for September 12. I have not lost much weight since bieng banded. I am white knuckle dieting for the last 3 weeks. I had to wait to get my first fill as my doc won't do first fill until you are at least 6 weeks post-op. My question is, how long do you have to wait for a second fill if the first one doesn't give you adequate restriction? I hope I don't have to wait 6 weeks in between each fill.

Hello,

I had my surgery on July 12th and lost about 15 lbs since the surgery, 45 lbs total counting pre surgery diet. When I started eating regular foods, Like you, The weight loss has stopped, I can eat anything I want, but only about half the quanity as before surgery.

My first fill will be this Wednesday 9/6/06 I hope to get some restriction then, and the weight starts dropping again.