Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Apple Juice Bad?

Im almost two weeks out and am drinking a combination of my 64 oz of Water, apple juice, and Protein Shakes. Alot of people say that you aren't supposed to be drinking it, is that right? It hasnt given me any problems and is sugar free. Thanks in advance for your responses guys. [=

My dr gave it to me on the hospital, sp I figure it's fine. I'm only about 7 days out. I drink maybe an ounce or two just for the sweetness of it.

Are you sure it's sugar free, or is it "no sugar added"? Fruits have sugar in them, so fruit juices have sugar. Check the nutrition info - I'd guess that either there's sugar in it, or it's not actually a true juice.

There's nothing against apple juice specifically - maybe just a general effort to try and keep carbs low.

I use Old Orchard Healthy Balance apple juice. It's sweetened with Splenda, and only has 5g or 6g carbs per serving. I use it to dissolve my Fiber supplement in, and Miralax when needed.

Its no sugar added. Its just something that i like to have a coffee cup full of to have some sweetness. Is that ok?

at 2 weeks post op keep drinking it. That is what is going to give you any energy that you have. :) it will also help keep things moving. I don't understand everyone STRESS on sugars... carbs. You need these just make sure you are having a balance,.

Thanks debellafunk. I was reading different posts and getting a lil bent out of shape. I def needed the reassurance, its the only thing that gives me energy. Im tired all of the time.

No sugar added juices can often have more sugar in it than soda, so just be careful. Your body will be able to get energy without you having to eat a lot of carbs. I'm not saying don't drink it, and I'm not saying don't eat carbs - just be mindful of it.

I do a 50/50 mix of Welch's 100% grape juice and water...maybe about 6 oz and sip on it. It gives me a little boost but also curbs nausea almost better than the zofran.

You can get sweetness from something like Crystal Light or Mio without the calories of a fruit juice. Remember the choices you make determine the success of your operation. It's not given that you will succeed unless you make the right choices.

My NUT told me that any beverage is fine as long as it's under 5 calories per serving.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Massindex your comment is actually making me feel bad for having a little apple juice. Im doing everything right, getting all my Protein and drinking all my Water. If i want to have some apple juice i will. My choices will determine my success and thus far i have made the right ones. Apple juice isn't going to bring me down as your trying to implore.

Dandra, MassIndex isn't trying to bring you down. He's pointing out that apple juice is a choice you can make, but he's also saying that you may want to keep an eye on it. Right now you're losing weight almost effortlessly because you are early post-op. However, once you're a little further out, you may want to revisit whether apple juice is something you want to keep in your diet. It does have sugar and carbs, which might cause a problem later.

Crystal light and Mio drops will both give you that sweet taste you're looking for without the sugar and carbs. This may be important as you get further out from surgery and the weight loss slows down. Also, for many of us sugar causes bathroom issues. I know that most fruit juices send me to the bathroom very quickly and it's not pleasant.

Now, with all of that said, there are some things that many of us do while on liquids and mushy stages that we don't do later. I ate a lot of instant mashed potatoes during my mushy stage, but I threw out the box once I was back on solid foods. I despise instant mashed, but it was a big help during the mushy stage. It's all about where you're at in the dietary stages post-op and you'll figure out what works for you as you move forward.

Good luck.

Dandra' date=' MassIndex isn't trying to bring you down. He's pointing out that apple juice is a choice you can make, but he's also saying that you may want to keep an eye on it. Right now you're losing weight almost effortlessly because you are early post-op. However, once you're a little further out, you may want to revisit whether apple juice is something you want to keep in your diet. It does have sugar and carbs, which might cause a problem later.

Crystal light and Mio drops will both give you that sweet taste you're looking for without the sugar and carbs. This may be important as you get further out from surgery and the weight loss slows down. Also, for many of us sugar causes bathroom issues. I know that most fruit juices send me to the bathroom very quickly and it's not pleasant.

Now, with all of that said, there are some things that many of us do while on liquids and mushy stages that we don't do later. I ate a lot of instant mashed potatoes during my mushy stage, but I threw out the box once I was back on solid foods. I despise instant mashed, but it was a big help during the mushy stage. It's all about where you're at in the dietary stages post-op and you'll figure out what works for you as you move forward.

Good luck.[/quote']

Thanks lissa! I was getting a bit discouraged. Mio leaves a weird taste in my mouth but i will try the crystal light for some sweetness.

Some of the mio flavors do that to me. I really like the strawberry watermelon and the orange tangerine flavors myself. However, if I put too much into a water bottle, it definitely isn't a pleasant feeling. Kellog's makes a Protein Water mix that's also good to some people. I didn't care for it, but others swear by the pink lemonade and it's got 4 or 6 grams of protein in it, which helps with the protein intake.