Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

God hates shrimp

God hates shrimp http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

I figure if you are going to be literal about the bible, then you have to take the whole bible.

This was prompted this story today

Preacher defends belief women can't teach men

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060821/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_religion_wome

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. Baptist preacher has publicly defended himself for firing a female Sunday School teacher after more than 50 years on the job because he believes the Bible bans women from teaching men. ...

LaBouf and the church board sacked Mary Lambert, 81, earlier this month in a letter that cited the scriptural qualifications for Sunday School teachers, Lambert said.

"They quote First Timothy Two, 11-14: A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent," Lambert said, reading from the letter.

"I was astonished," she said. "I would not go back and teach as long as this is their thinking."

Once again It looks like I will burn in hell, I love shrimp and Lobster and most shellfish. To atone for my sinss I promise to never eat eel or turtle again.

I wonder if this Lambert chap has noticed how high the ratio is of women to men in the teaching profession. Do you think maybe he might have some sort of unresloved issues with his mommy?

The Bible verse says it shall be an abomination to you.. not to God so God doesnt necessarily hate shrimp.. he just doesnt wants us eating it!! LOL

Secondly.. on the comment about women preachers my reply is that when Jesus rose from the grave the first person who saw him was Mary Magdeline, a woman, whom he told specifically to "go and tell them you have seen me..." So Jesus HIMSELF told a woman to go and tell others about Him... the others were the male disciples.. If He didnt want women to be teachers/preachers he would never have given her that command.. IMHO of course..

Kathy

These people are the most rediculous things I have ever seen. Maybe they should spend some time paying attention to thier own lives and not whether or not I'm going to Long John Silvers!

I figure if you are going to be literal about the bible, then you have to take the whole bible.

This was prompted this story today

Preacher defends belief women can't teach men

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060821/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_religion_wome

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. Baptist preacher has publicly defended himself for firing a female Sunday School teacher after more than 50 years on the job because he believes the Bible bans women from teaching men. ...

LaBouf and the church board sacked Mary Lambert, 81, earlier this month in a letter that cited the scriptural qualifications for Sunday School teachers, Lambert said.

"They quote First Timothy Two, 11-14: A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent," Lambert said, reading from the letter.

"I was astonished," she said. "I would not go back and teach as long as this is their thinking."

I saw the story on the News last night and I said to my wife "shut up" because the bible told me so.

No! Actually I said, I wish that woman would get an (ALCU) lawyer and sue the church. If the church is allowed to walk all over the Constitutional rights of a woman, then soon we may have clerics walking the streets with bibles in their hands determining right from wrong, legal from illegal. Wait a minute. Isn't that what happens in Iran and in much of Afganistan?

Religion threads ALWAYS offend someone, so I tend to avoid them.

I do have a book that outlines some of the "weirder" Bible passages. Ken's Guide to the Bible. I think I found it in the humor section, but it got me reading again.

Oddly enough the shrimp one isn't there. At least this explains why the chosen people didn't die from shellfish poisoning. :)

lol thats funny! i dont think most people take the bible literally, heck i dont think a lot of people have READ the bible.

i know after i read it i was CONVINCED it was nothing but a story, kinda like a fable. not something to base my life on or be afraid of!

Wife listed among property

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

-- Exodus 20:17 (AV), The Tenth Commandment"

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

-- I Corinthians 14:34-35 (NIV)

Beatings don't kill kids

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod [sceptre], he shall not die.

-- Proverbs 23:13 (AV)

Execute stubborn kids

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son ... Then shall his father and his mother ... bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.

-- Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (AV)

No one (at least not I) am mocking God. Many (like I) may be mocking the imperfect sinners who use the word of God for their own benefits, prejudices or agendas.

I remember hearing that the reason for the discrimination against women was a practical thing.

Women weren't supposed to ask questions in meetings or teach supposedly because their voices were higher and harder to hear in congregations. The rule became to have their husband or father ask on their behalf.

If you just read the Bible...it does seem like a story to many. If you ask the Lord to open your eyes and ears then He will reveal the meaning of the Scriptures too you. I have ministered the Word of God for many years and the Lord is my life. You must read the Scripture before and after for the deeper meaning. You also must know the time it was written. Paul wrote Corinthians at a time women had just been "allowed" to come in...so guess what?! They interrupted the services to ask questions. That's why he said wait til you get home and ask your husband! I think it was a reasonable statement personally. The Baptist have a BEAUTIFUL woman ministering, Beth Moore. Because ONE person/preacher makes this decision does not destroy the TRUTH of Christianity. I am not Baptist before you think I am defending. I do not defend this....I am a minister as well. I work in "secular" work and then volunteer as the Lord leads in churches.

People are human...imperfect that is why we needed a Messiah (a perfect One) to give a sacrifice to atone for our presence....we cannot enter into a Holy Heaven with a Holy God in our present state. If you look at people then you see the mess....if you look to God you see the LIGHT and TRUTH!

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -78lbs :)

I had just read the "Thread Killers" thread just before I wrote my reply 3 posts above this.

In the "Thread killers" thread, there was much discussion and a lot of complaining about members who quote other members to refute the quote. I know that I sometimes ("often" some would say) do that, so I refrained from doing it in the post above. The member I was responding to (and I forgot who it was) then removed her post, leaving mine to possibly appear non-sensible or at least irrelevant. Since it is a statement of truth, I will leave it as is.

It seems to me that a lot of right-wing Christianity is just like the Taliban only dressed up a little to be more "respectable". And I am a Christian...I think we need to be very careful about forcing others to accept our interpretations. Just MHO...

Emily

There is nothing that makes a person more stubborn, uncompromising and sure of himself than to "Know he is right" about "the one true God". I have met people with opposite beliefs who each "Knew that he was right".

Impossible!!

Both Bin Laden and BuSh are quick to envoke the name of God, when in my opinion, God would want none of his children killing each other.

I do not know I am right. But I know at least someone is wrong and I think that there are a lot more people who are wrong that want to admit it.