Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Are You Eating At One Year After Surgery?

well- I am nearly a year out-- 10 months basically.....

my day is as follows!!!

breakfast: iced vanilla latte (not sugar free and made with 2% milk)

1 cheese stick, and a 6oz yogurt.

snack: carrots and dip (not low fat)

lunch:about 1/5th of a burrito bowl (3/4-1 cup total) with steak, rice, salsa, Beans, cheese and sour cream from chipotle. a few chips

snack: 15 slices of turkey pepperoni

Dinner: grilled chicken breast or fish (3oz)and a veggie.

Snack: small chunk of cookie dough. :-)

I am 9.5 months out and I eat something like this:

Breakfast:

8 oz of OJ with one scoop unflavored Protein OR a Muscle Milk banana Creme flavor--NOT BOTH

10 oclock snack

two cracker cut cheddar cheese slices with two whole wheat ritz OR 1 tbls Peanut Butter and five mini nilla wafers --NOT BOTH

Lunch:

Lean pocket (13 g of protein) OR leftover chicken fajita, beef or fish I had the night before- tuna salad---some type of meat at any rate.

3 oclock snack-

8 oz of 2% or skim milk and Peanut Butter nilla wafers as above. (not together) i space them apart about 30 minutes.

Dinner:

Talapia, grilled fajita chicken, roast, (some type of meat) and a few bites of veggies. Sometimes my hubby will make hamburger helper and i will eat a few bites of it but I usually have my meat separate from them.

Snack:

I usually have another glass of milk and one cookie at night.

Some days I eat a few bbq Pork rinds if I want something salty or beef Jerky for snack. I also eat out some and I share with my husband or order a Soup. I just try to pick something with Protein that reheats well. I can make a dish last about 4 meals.

I am 10.5 months out.

There is nothing I can't eat, but (usually) my choices are far healthier now and my portion sizes are far, far smaller.

Today:

Breakfast: Premeir Protein shake

AM Snack: banana, half slice of cinnamon/apple bread

Lunch: Leftover shrimp fajita with a small piece of homemade naan bread (super easy BTW)

I have about 6 oz of lunch, so it will take me the rest of the afternoon to eat it all, but I am going to the club tonight for an intense workout, so I need the calories. Usually, I would have an apple, orange and prunes. When I get home from the club, I will probably have a romain/spinach salad with ham and blue cheese crumbles with a honey mustard dressing. I'll finish the night with a small bowl of ice cream or some crackers and cheese.< /p>

Here would be an average day for me:

Breakfast

1 medium Bananas

1 serving Large coffee with 2 cream / 3 Splenda

1 cup Milk (Nonfat)

1/2 cup Quick oatmeal (1 or 3 Minutes)

lunch

1 serving Organic Creamy Tomato Soup

dinner

1/2 serving Corn on the Cob

1 serving Fried chicken Leg

1 oz Potato salad

3 oz T-Bone Steak

Snacks / Other

1/3 serving Dark chocolate Covered Peanut Clusters

1 large Dill Pickles

1 serving Smart Pop 94% Fat Free Butter 100 Calorie Mini Bags

1 serving sugar free Popsicles

Wow..what a great question....8 1/2 months out for me....average day...

Breakfast - Muscle Milk strawberry Creme smoothie with 8 large frozen strawberries, 1 cup non-fat dry milk powder with crushed ice and blended...about 20 oz..

lunch - 6 to 8 slices Oscar Meyer Shaved Turkey alone or rolled on small fajita with lettuce, tomatoe, sugar free sweet pickle chips, salsa and cheese - 1 or 2

dinner - 1 large Boneless, skinless chicken Breast with vegetable abd salad

Snacks - cheese sticks, Yoplait Key Lime Greek Yogurt cup (favorite snack), Pure Protein Peanut Butter Protein Bar, baby carrots, apples, oranges and bananas.

All day Crystal Light Lemonade and Orange mixed.......

I am no wear near as scientific as others who have posted...I am winging it a lot now and the stomach controls the portions for me and it is working. My Doctor said I should not be on a "diet" just eat a well rounded diet of pretty much anything I wanted in normal portions that the new stomach assists in controling now....

Did any of your doctors advise against Snacks? Mine says once I get to puréed/soft food and onward, I should only have 3 meals a day and only have Water or Protein Drinks in between meals to get all my fluids and Protein in. He is really against snacks, yet I see most people on here have snacks.

Did any of your doctors advise against Snacks? Mine says once I get to puréed/soft food and onward, I should only have 3 meals a day and only have Water or Protein drinks in between meals to get all my fluids and protein in. He is really against snacks, yet I see most people on here have snacks.

I do triathlons and PdxMan is a runner so I know we have to increase our calories and carbohydrates to keep our energy up. The only way I can do it, especially leading up to race, is to eat most of the day. I'll burn 1,800-4,000 calories on race day, depending on the length of my triathlon.

Did any of your doctors advise against Snacks? Mine says once I get to puréed/soft food and onward, I should only have 3 meals a day and only have Water or Protein drinks in between meals to get all my fluids and Protein in. He is really against Snacks, yet I see most people on here have snacks.

My surgeon says no snacks, just three meals. My nutritionist and his nurse practitioner say we need snacks and they should be protein ones. I have always had some snacks in my diet since the beginning and I have done fine. They just wave the surgeon off...lol. They say they know best after the surgery is over. lol.

Well ... I guess it depends on what you call a snack.

Which is a snack? A banana or a piece of cake? Are they both Snacks or is one a continuation of the last meal? How do you want to justify it? That is the question.

For me, I don't know where the last meal ends and the snack begins. Or, where the snack ends and the next meal begins. I do take half hour breaks and take half an hour to drink a glass of Water. I suppose that is what I consider my delimeter. Should I call what is in between a snack or is it just another meal and I eat 5 times a day instead of 3.

I think the bottom line is that as long as what you are eating is healthy, you are fine. Stay within the rules:

• No drinking with or within half an hour of your meal
  • Eat lean Protein first
  • Exercise

Now, if your eating chips ... yeah, that's a snack. chocolate chip Cookies ... yeah, that's a snack. But do we have to stay away from all snacking ... yeah, right. Sorry, I am human and I am going to have a snack. Moderation is the key.

I'm 13 months out. It's hard to label a "typical" day, so I'll just put what I had yesterday. I usually eat 5-6 mini-meals a day--Sleevie doesn't like it when I overeat, and he's really picky about what I put in there, so this works out.

1. Iced coffee with milk and chocolate Syrup and a wholegrain Breakfast cookie.

2. 2 TB peanuts

3. 3 boiled shrimp with remoulade sauce and 2 onion rings and a few bites of lettuce.

4. cheese stick.

5. 1/2 c. frozen yogurt with slivered almonds on top.

6. 1 oz. lunch meat ham.

7. 1 onion ring (we reheated the leftovers from lunch).

Today I've had:

1. Iced coffee with milk and chocolate syrup and a wholegrain cookie.

2. 2 TB peanuts.

3. 8 corn chips with cheese dip, refried Beans, and Tomato salsa to dip at a Mexican restaurant.

4. Another iced coffee and more peanuts.

I'm planning to eat grapefruit later and probably some lunch meat ham and maybe a slice of cheese.

Most of these "mini-meals" are snack-sized. Honestly, I eat when I'm hungry and I don't much mind or realize if I "miss" a meal time. I've learned to keep my peanuts in the kitchen and not by my chair, or I'll just snack away, but that's really the only trick I have to watch out for. My husband is also a sleever, so we don't keep junk food here at home, which makes it pretty easy to avoid most of the time. We both love Tex-Mex and Mediterranean cuisine--those are our "go to" restaurants when we're out or feeling like having "cooked" food--when we're at home, we mostly graze from the fridge or eat things like salad, fruit, and cheese that don't require a lot of cooking, if any.

Edited to add that I couldn't manage without my "Snacks," which are really important for my nutrition and energy. I think you have to find an eating plan that works for you, for your sleeve, and for your lifestyle requirements. :-) If you can manage without snacking, go for it! I couldn't and don't.

I am actually really trying harder these days to eat more. I am just not hungry.

Breakfast - 2 Mozzerella cheese Sticks

lunch - tuna with mayo - no bread. I eat like a scoop. Not sure how much that is. Or a frozen meal which I never can finish the starches.

Afternoon - Sometimes I am hungry and sometimes I am not...If I am hungry I will get nuts or protien chips and I will have a bag.

dinner - Frozen meal. I have been trying to finish an entire meal to get in the calories, but it isn't easy and I have to come back to it. I couldn't even finish 1/2 last night. I might bake a small piece of fish some nights.

Late Night snack - ICE CREAM or Doritos...My two things that I just can't live without...But I haven't had a chip or spoon of ice cream in 3 days even though there are two bags and 3 pints in the fridge. I just haven't been in the mood or too full from dinner. I just like the fact that when I want them they are there for me.

My surgeon says he says no Snacks since there really isn't a difference between a snack and a meal for us with the smaller stomachs. I said I had though of like a cheese stick or yogurt between meals & he still said he encourages against that. The dietitian I saw works in his office, so she says the same thing. Just Water and Protein drinks between meals to help with getting in liquids. Of course, I'm not sure if that changes once I've lost all my weight and am maintaining, but I think they still say the same thing then. I guess I will just have to wait and see how my body does!!

My doctor is REALLY tough...says three meals a day -- no snacking AND meals can only take 30 minutes and then you stop. He says no grazing and of course no drinking for an hour after and 15 minutes before eating. Also, no liquids for meals -- so no Soup, milk on Cereal, juice, etc. YIKES!! Sometimes hard to get the Protein in, but do fine most days. Surgery was 12/22 and I am down 77 pounds since surgery plus 23 pre-op -- whoa...hey that makes 100....cool :) Still have about 50 to go... :(