Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was doing great with my nectar chocolate Protein Shakes before my surgery, but after about 2 weeks after, they started making me really sick to my stomach. I switched to the vanilla, and I couldnt even swallow it because it was making me gag. This is something new, since I've never been prone to that with medicine and such, you just take it and be done with it, but somehow I feel like my sense of smell and taste is jacked up since my surgery, Does anyone have any suggestions for better tasting Protein shakes? Since I havent been drinking them, Ive been using the Special K Water protein but thats only got 5 grams of protein and thats not enough.

I only drink Muscle Milk Protein Shakes, I couldnt stand any other kind of shake. I tried so many Protein powders too, didnt like ONE of them. Good old trial and error is all you can do till you find one you can tolerate. Good luck.

I completely understand. I can't stand any Protein Shakes after surgery. I have been doing the Protein Shots or Isopure. They Isopure I have been dividing it up as I need the extra Protein. For example, Isopure has 40 grams of protein in a 20 oz bottle. So for every 5 oz you get 10 grams of protein

Have you tried using Orange Crystal Light with a vanilla Protein powder--I personally use Unjury mixed with Light Vanilla Soy Milk. I also use Walden's Sugar Free/Calorie free chocolate Syrup with Light Chocolate Soy Milk and Unjury Chocolate Splendor. If I have the calories to spare, I'll throw in a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding for a really rich yummy treat. If you aren't having issues with dairy, adding 1/3 cup powdered milk helps and makes for even more protein.

Also keep in mind that, myself included, a lot of people find their taste buds altered for the first few weeks after surgery. I had a really hard time with the taste for a while, but eventually that goes away. Have you tried Nectar's sample pack of other flavors? I still don't care for vanilla and chocolate too much, and they have more fruit-like flavors that I really like.

Hang in there, remember this is the medicine your body needs to heal properly.

I drank them before surgery, but after I can't handle them either. Your sense of smell and taste are jacked up after surgery. I gag VERY quick now. I have no suggestions, I can't lie. I just don't do them. It is rare that I can get past one drink.

I used to LOOOOVE the Syntrax Nectars but sometime in the last few days, they have started to make me kinda nausious. I was wondering what changed!

I figured it out though.... its not the taste... its the SMELL!

Try drinking through a Blender Bottle and take care to not breathe in with your nose when you drink. Also (I know it breaks most Dr's rules) try using a straw and a lidded cup.

I drank Protein drinks off and on for the last 6 years (more on than off) but find that their viscosity does not agree with my sleeve, and that is giving me a sensitivity to their taste/smell as well. I used to just dotor the crap out of them, and then I'd actually look forward to them (I could also drink them much faster, so that may play a role too).

I've found my savior in the Isopure fruit flavored RTDs. Specifically "grape frost" - I've now tried 3 other flavors and they've ranged from "gross" to "literally churned my stomach." I get them very, very cold (I have one in the freezer now) and add grape flavored Mio-type drink mix. To me, it tastes exactly like grape koolaid that leaves my mouth a little dry after I swallow. They have 40gm of good Protein in just 20oz of Fluid, too -- great for me since I still struggle with capacity. If capacity isn't a problem for you, I also enjoy the EAS Carb AdvantEdge RTDs in strawberry (or maybe it's strawberry creme, or something like that). Drink them very cold, they're not so great warm - and they seem to thicken too. Only 17gm (compared to Premiere's 30) but pretty decent tasting.

I like the cytosport "whey isolate" ready to drink (RTD) drinks. I buy them from Vitamin shop. It's 32 g of Protein in 16 oz and cost 3.79 each. I prefer the tropical (green) or the tangerine (orange). Additionally, at Vitamin Shoppe, they have a refrigerated section where you can just buy one to see if you like it (and save your receipt - if you don't like it, look on the back of the receipt, you can take anything back there w/in x amt of time). This last tip is applicable to anything you buy at Vitamin Shoppe, fyi.

Your taste buds change after surgery and during this journey, so I can only recommend not buying too much of anything in advance. I have nectar and unjury powders that are sitting because I just prefer the RTD drinks and my crystal light (still). :) I guess I'll get back to these powders sometime! (or i'll be making them into jellos or puddings or dips)

Good luck to you!

With my program I had to buy the shakes and Vitamins from my Drs office so I have a whole thing of Vanilla that I cant drink. I couldn't find the isopur at Walmart when I was there. My sister had surgery in Jan and shes all of a sudden started losing A LOT of hair. So now I'm freaking out thats going to happen to me. She hasnt done well with her shakes either. I think I might just have to go to GNC or Vit Shoppe. :)