Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College And Surgery

if you are attending college did this surgery interfere at all with living a "normal" life?

I'm taking grad classes online....I plan on having the procedure and not missing a class....just have to plan plan plan...

me and my sleeve sister that I met from FL are both students in the medical field and we will have one week between surgery and when we have to go back to school, we are nervous but believe in ourselves and have faith in God to help us get through it. It will be hard, but it will be worth it, and it is do able, good luck

im attending classes right now. i went back for a full class 3.5hours 6 days post op. im more concerned about how it will affect my social life? thanks im sure this will work out

I work full-time and am working on a second graduate degree in the evenings. I will have a couple of weeks between the time I a sleeved and when my summer course starts. I think it will be challenging but doable.

I work full time and 2 months ago when I had surgery I was enrolled in 4 classes. No issues adjusting.

I am ending my sophomore year at UCSB and had my surgery during our 1 week spring break. No problems at all.

I work 28ish hours a week at a dining common on campus and take 21 units. I haven't had any trouble managing at all. I just bring Snacks to long classes, in the beginning shakes, and remember to drink Water constantly!

I also bike to campus and back (about 30 mins total) and started doing that about 9 days after surgery.

You gals will do fine!

I'm 36 and went back to college a couple years ago. I just got my Associates this semester & am starting at a university in the fall. I'm not taking classes this summer, which made this the perfect time to do the surgery for me because I have time to recover and lose some weight before the fall semester begins. I did my 2-week pre-op diet during finals, which was kind of a pain, but I survived & still did well in my classes. I also have a family & work part-time from home. I don't think I could've done surgery while taking classes though unless it was during a break between semesters just because of recovery & energy level right after surgery.

Oh I also wanted to add that I go to parties, I hang out with friends and what not and have never had it interfere. My life is exactly the same except for my tummy and what I eat.

I'm in the very beginning stages of VSG Surgery, but i'm so ready to get going and get this done in a timely manner! I start a very intensive grad school social work program in September and will also be interning 3 days a week. I'm scared of missing school/internship. I can take a week off if I need but no more than that. Is anyone else worried about surgery and college?

I'm in the very beginning stages of VSG Surgery, but i'm so ready to get going and get this done in a timely manner! I start a very intensive grad school social work program in September and will also be interning 3 days a week. I'm scared of missing school/internship. I can take a week off if I need but no more than that. Is anyone else worried about surgery and college?

I am terrified, I will have 1 week and 2 days to recover... if anything goes wrong I will have to wait a whole year to start over and thats only if they have room for me. My faith in God is greater than my fear though. I believe if something bad was to happen it would, with or with out the surgery.

What are you going to school for? I know how you feel but what you just said is so inspirational. When do you hope do get the surgery?

I am in school for radiology and I am in my last stretch. I will be on break from summer to fall and will have my surgery on August 13 in Mexico. Right now I have 12 hours of class a week and 28 hours of clinicals a week... not much will change in fall, plus I work at best buy 10 hours a week and have a 3 year old.... so it will be difficult, but I've seen others do it, so can we... SOOOOOO excited c:

What are you going to school for? I know how you feel but what you just said is so inspirational. When do you hope do get the surgery?