Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, this is my first discussion about my sleeve. I had my surgery April 30th, 2012. I feel great, but not really losing any weight. I think I have lost about 5lbs since surgery. My surgeon's nurse says"to stop weighing myself". All the stories I read people are losing 20-25lbs almost immediately. I joke with my husband that I hope the surgeon took out the right part! Also, I have no problems drinking or eating. So many people say they can only drink tiny sips, I feel I can drink normally. I feel nervous that maybe this isn't going to work for me. I waited 7 months for insurance and I thought it would be difficult to eat. One good thing is I don't feel hungry. Just wondering if any of this is normal? Waiting for a big weight loss. Thanks, Iowamom

Did you gain Fluid weight after surgery? I did and took time to come off. You are two weeks out right? What are you eating? I was still on liquids, but when I started on purees I gained a bit too.

Relax and know you won't fail. It will come off this is your journey try not to compare. Best wishes.

I did gain about 7 lbs in the hospital. As of today, I can start adding eggs, cottage cheese. I know I shouldn't compare, but for 7 months I've listened to so many stories, it is hard not to. I know this is my journey and I will embrace it. Thanks

You should start losing now, I did as soon as I starting eating. Best wishes to you, dont be discouraged, I know it is hard not to sometimes as I do occasionally but it will work for you, just give it some time.

I was weighed when I was discharged from the hospital (at 5 days post-op). Then I weighed myself only during my 1 month post-op doctor's visit. Dont beat yourself up. You'll see the weight fall off gradually in a pace that suits your body!

PS: Absence of hunger is a good sign that the doc cut the right part out LOL :P

The 20-25 pounds you are referencing is not lost fat. Maybe a couple pounds ... yes, but let's look at this objectively.

It is widely accepted that 1 pound represents 3,500 calories. Consume 3,500 more calories than you burn, you gain a pound. Burn 3,500 calories more than you consume, you lose a pound. So:

3,500 x 20 (lbs) = 70,000

That means, over whatever period of time your chose (1, 2 weeks) you need to run a deficeit of 70,000 calories ... Hmmm ...

So, hopefully you can see there is no possible way to do that, even with the sleeve. So, what could it be? Water.

Water is heavy and easily moved in (pre-sleeve) and not so much after sleeving. So, just listen to your Dr, do what you are supposed to do and get rid of the scale. It is completely meaningless at this point in your story. You are losing fat, but not much. You are also going to be losing muscle, so be sure to get your Protein in to help combat that.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

I had surgery on the 30th also and as of this morning I have lost 6 pounds so I am right where you are. I think sometimes you actually have to take in more calories to lose more weight because the body goes into starvation mode. I go to the doctor this Wednesday and then I will be on the puree diet also. I am SOOOO looking forward to soft cooked eggs, cottage cheese and hummus. I think it will be like a cheeseburger and fries to me after all this liquid! :) Good luck. I would love to hear how you are doing and compare notes since we had surgery on the same date. How old are you? I am 53 and figured that might have a little to do with things also. Menopause and all that. I am also not quite as big as some folks are when they first start out. I am 213.2 today. Well, good luck! I am SURE the weight will come off for both of us and 3 pounds a week is actually just fine with me. It's faster than I would have lost without the surgery that's for sure. :)

I gained 7 Lbs right after surgery & haven't lost much. I'm almost 3 weeks post op. I know other people r losing faster but everyone is different. I do get hungry but not as hungry as I was on Clear Liquids. Just do what they tell you to do & it will happen : ) Patience!!

I did lose a lot post op . Like 35 lbs my first 3 weeks. But my BMI was like 70! So I wouldn't worry to much. Your body has to settle a little bit. I also can drink pretty normal. Now that I'm eating semi normal I know that my stomach was reduced because I can't eat but a few bites of meats and feel full. eggs still dont feel good in there for some reason. I was sleeved April 10th. I am making chili right now. That sits beautifully and keeps me full. : )

I had surgery on the 30th also and as of this morning I have lost 6 pounds so I am right where you are. I think sometimes you actually have to take in more calories to lose more weight because the body goes into starvation mode. I go to the doctor this Wednesday and then I will be on the puree diet also. I am SOOOO looking forward to soft cooked eggs, cottage cheese and hummus. I think it will be like a cheeseburger and fries to me after all this liquid! :) Good luck. I would love to hear how you are doing and compare notes since we had surgery on the same date. How old are you? I am 53 and figured that might have a little to do with things also. Menopause and all that. I am also not quite as big as some folks are when they first start out. I am 213.2 today. Well, good luck! I am SURE the weight will come off for both of us and 3 pounds a week is actually just fine with me. It's faster than I would have lost without the surgery that's for sure. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner--still trying to figure this whole blogging thing out! I am 46 years old. I am not menopausal yet. Are you having trouble with drinking. I drink just like normal. I have yet to fill full. Everyone seems to be able to take just a few bites. I think, over the past several months, I've looked at way too many stories, I better just take my story one day at a time. It is what it is!

iowamom, I know what you mean. I think when we start on harder foods like the cottage cheese it will be just a few bites. You are doing that now though right? My doctor appointment is tomorrow so I will get to eat afterward. :) I can't really tell when I am full sometimes so I just sort of stop when I think I should. Sometimes though I do get an uncomfortable feeling and I figure this is the sleeve getting full. It's quite strange. I actually get that feeling a lot so I am not very successful drinking enough of the Protein Drinks I should be. I got them in yesterday but today not so much. I know about the stories though. I just saw 2 that jumped out at me. 23 pounds in a month, 47 pounds in a month. That just isn't going to be me I know. But if I can lose 2 or 3 pounds a week on a consistant basis that is going to rock! Hang in there! I have heard before about people who can drink more than they thought they were supposed to so I don't think you are alone. How is it going with the foods?