Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! Lap Band OR RNY

This is from another LapBand forum - and is written by a knowledgeable PostOp.

I will re-post it, and credit her with it.

Why The Band Might Be Right (or Not be Right) For You

By Nancy aka OperaKatz

Others have already posted why the band might be a good choice...it's been a good choice for me...over 2 1/2 years out, down 156 lbs, zero complications.

Here are some reasons the band may NOT be a good choice for someone (because as much as I'm a total advocate for banding, there's no 1-size-fits-all WLS because we're not all the same ...

• If you have a very slow metabolism (get it tested if you're not sure...BMR (basal metabolic rate) test - a machine you breathe into for about 10 minutes and the only accurate test out there. If you, due to metabolic issues, cannot lose on a sensible caloric level (1200-1500 cal/day) the band is probably not a good choice.

• If you have esophagal motility issues (and your doctors should be looking for those during any pre-op period), neither the band nor RNY would be good options. The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Duodenal Switch, neither of which rely on pouch/stoma sort of restriction, might be better options.

• If you are obsessed with the idea of rapid loss, the band is not for you. Rapid loss isn't anywhere near as safe or healthy as slower weight loss but some folks can't turn off their inner child that's demanding NOW NOW NOW. The band is not for the impatient. If you are expecting the band to be the bouncer of the stomach club (in other words, force you to stop eating or make food choices for you) the band is not for you. The band's job is basically hunger management...allows you to satisfy physical (never head) hunger on a sensibly-portioned meal and keep physical hunger from returning for 3-4 hours once properly adjusted. It's not there to punish you for overeating.

• If you aren't a big fan of lean Proteins and a wide variety of vegetables and fresh/whole foods, and would prefer to eat small portions of the stuff you're eating now (if you're eating generally over-processed unhealthy foods), the band is not for you. The band works wiith good healthy foods. There was someone recently who refused to eat any vegetables and wanted to basically eat ground beef all the time and pizza, etc., and assumed he could lose enough just reducing the portions of that stuff...bad idea to get the band....frankly, bad idea for someone like that to get ANY type of WLS...we have to at least WANT to change our eating habits beyond just portion.

...You should not just research the band and RNY...The DS is a great option for some people as well, and the VSG is gaining more momentum as more surgeons are starting to perform it, so all the major options should be examined to find the best fit for your actual needs...which means getting really honest with yourself about why you're morbidly obese and what you need to change. Everyone has their own set of issues, both physical/medical and behavioral/emotional to sort out.

Well said.

This is a great procedure but it's not right for everyone. The LapBand, the RnY bypass, the DS (or "Switch") and even the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy are good procedures.

Do your research and hopefully you'll find which one is right for YOU.

Good Luck.

I was in your boat not to long ago. Do what is best for you. Do you research, get out and talk to people who have had either surgery. Attend your area's support group. When its time to make a decision, make an informed one.

Hi,

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree that one must eat only "healthy" foods with the band. I myself do eat smaller portions of what I was eating before, which was a varied diet of healthy and some "unhealthy" foods and I have lost nearly two pounds a week for the last six months for a total of 45 pounds down.

Of course bandsters can't gorge on ice cream and milkshakes and chocolate all day long and still lose weight, but I enjoy all foods and do not eliminate any food at all. I eat pizza, hot dogs, chips, fries, everything. I also eat fish, whole grains, vegetables, Beans, and fruits. Everything I eat is in a very small portion and I don't second guess what I eat, only how much. Everyone is different but for me, I don't eliminate anything.

The only thing I would say is if you eat huge amounts of ice cream or chocolate or other soft sweets (mousse, cheesecake, etc) and you don't think you can ever stop, then the band is not for you. It's really easy to drink milkshakes or eat a 1,200-calorie piece of cheesecake (yes, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake contains an average of 1,000-1,200 calories per slice!!!) with the band. That being said, I have still enjoyed ice cream and dessert in limited amounts since I got my band but I'm able to limit it because my sugar craving post-surgery is greatly reduced.

As for band vs. bypass, I agree with all the other reasons listed such as adjustability, less hanging skin, greatly reduced death rate during surgery (1 in 2,500 as opposed to 1 in 100 for GB), no malabsorbtion, no need for supplements the rest of your life, etc.

Hi,

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree that one must eat only "healthy" foods with the band.

Well, that's true. Healthy foods aren't what brought some of here, truthfully.

I myself do eat smaller portions of what I was eating before, which was a varied diet of healthy and some "unhealthy" foods and I have lost nearly two pounds a week for the last six months for a total of 45 pounds down.

Good for you!

But 45# in six months might be based on your metabolism, amount to lose, and your own goals. Each of us sets individual goals and for some people, repeated bad food choices is NOT going to get them to their goals.

I eat pizza, hot dogs, chips, fries, everything.... I don't eliminate anything.

And you've been banded, six months, correct? Well, just be aware that as your level of restriction increases that some of these foods (like pizza, or specifically, Pizza Crust, might not be quite as band-friendly.

Everyone has a different way of doing what works for them. I don't count calories or carbs but I do know when I've eaten more than normal.

Bottom line, I use my band as a tool - and I'm working with it, as long as it works with me. I guess that what's we all do, right? :)

I haven't had surgery yet. Today I go to the seminar to start my journey.

I have made a decision though. Lap Band. Why? Because of all the weightloss surgeries it is the safest. I've been researching RNY and lapband for months. RNY scares the pants off me. I've sat and read story after story of complications from the surgery. The saddest are the ones that you get to see their journals and how happy they were each step of the way to getting their approvals and the day of their surgeries saying they will see you on the other side. They meant on the losing side.... but now it's on the side of Heaven.

Type in RNY or gastric bypass and death in a google search or go to obesity help.com and read the memorials. Those people thought they were doing something to start a new life. It ended their lives.

Lapband surgery, although I may lose weight more slowly than an RNY person, for me is the logical choice.

I do not have immediate life threatening problems that would make me need RNY. There are people who have to take the chance and do the RNY. I recently read a study that 1 in 50 within the 1st 30 days die after bypass. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/21/earlyshow/contributors/melindamurphy/main668323.shtml

I have two children and a husband. Life can be better for them and me if I can get to a healthier weight. But I can not take the chance to be 1 in 50 that doesn't come home.

RNY is much safer now than ever before, but it is still very dangerous. The higher your BMI and the more health problems you have the riskier the surgery is.

I think lap band is worth a try first. Take the safest road first and if you aren't successful then think about RNY.

Lots of luck.

Kathy W.