Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hi all! Hope everyone is well and ready for Christmas. I'm sure not but hope to be in the next week. I wanted to know if there was any interest in another challenge? I know we've been going strong more than a year and the activity on this thread has dwindled as we all are busy with our lives. The challenges in the passed helped keep me on track and gave me something to work toward. I had surgery a little over two weeks ago and also had a significant unfill and have found myself eating pretty bad due to boredom and slipping back into old habbits. I am up 10lbs right now, hoping that it is swelling but I'm no so sure and really need to find the inspiration to get back on track.

I'd be willing to keep track like I have in the passed and will promise to get onto the board to tally and post the results weekly.

Any interest???

Mim, don't sweat the gain! You are undoubtedly swelling from the surgery, and it's likely to continue for at least a month. (I had a belt lipectomy 12 years ago, so I'm speaking from experience!) Keep drinking lots and lots of Water, and eating whole, healthy foods, and that weight will drop off soon. Make sure you post some pics of the total transformation once the swelling goes down!

I've had an unexpected and rather pleasant experience over the past few weeks. We went on a cruise over Thanksgiving. I was thrilled to find that I had only gained a pound when we got back. Then, the next day, that extra pound was gone, and the next day I was down two more! Somehow, that put me back in weight loss mode. I decided to shoot for the mid-range of "normal" BMI. So, I went back to eating the way I was last winter/spring, and ramped up the exercise. I've dropped ten pounds since T-giving! I'm now 152, with a BMI of 23.8, and wearing some dead sexy size 8 Lucky jeans!

Tami2%2012-6-07.jpg

Merry Christmas, September Bandsters!

Tami

Tami: You look drop dead gorgeous! Way to go! I've been wondering how you're doing! Way to go! I've been staying the same for the last 2-3 months, but decided to be more careful and I've lost 3 pounds this last week! YEA! I'm trying to get the last 20 off so I can get a Tummy Tuck or lower body lift.

Mimin: I agree with Tami, I'm sure it's Water weight. Keep trying to eat healthy foods and drink lots of water. I remember that after your breast augmentation, you also gained weight. You'll be fine, just be careful. I suppose you could also get a fill, but personally, I'd wait until after Christmas and after you've healed a little more! Also, I'm up for the challenge. I need the encouragement and I miss our September bandsters! Count me in!

MimIN - I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I had my TT just over 2 months ago and even though they claim to have removed over 10 pounds off me I'm currently sitting at about 5 pounds HEAVIER than before surgery. I can tell there is definitely still some swelling but JEEZ after 2 months its hard to believe there is still 15 pounds of swelling. I also had an unfill before the PS and am calling everyweek now trying to get in on a cancellation so I can get a re-fill. But with the stresses of the holidays and the lack of restriction it has been HE# trying not to eat everything in site.

There was a thread once here on LBT where about 6 to 8 bandsters all in my area posted what we ate each day. It was odd despite how much I might lie to my doc, my husband, my non-existant food journal or even myself, I was able to be honest with these gals. I knew they understood where I was coming from and would support me rather than judge me. Heck I don't think we all read each others food logs that closely. It just helped us keep a better eye on our own choices. Though we did sometimes spot a good meal someone else had posted and ask for their recipe.

Okay, Maybe the September bandsters need to wait until after Christmas to join the challenge?! Is there anyone out there? Mimin, Diane, maybe we'll have to have our own very "Small" support group! Is everyone doing great and they don't need a little encouragement? Speak!

Karey - Sounds like a plan. I need to do something soon. Yesterday I was SOOOOOOOOO BAD! My daily food consisted of the following.

Breakfast:

1/2 cup of grapenuts with nearly 1/4 cup sugar & skim milk.

1 - Hershey's chocolate Almond Bar (for Breakfast? I know)

Lunch:

A frozen Nancy's Quiche with Pepperjack Velveeta melted on top (that wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't ate the whole quiche to the tune of nearly 500 calories with the cheese on top)

Afternoon Snack:

1 - Chocolate Ice Cream Bar

2! - Snicker Ice Cream Bars

1 - Slimfast Low Carb shake

(WTF!)

Dinner:

1/8 cup thin spaghetti w/butter

1 cup homemade broccoli cheese Soup

1 Peach Wine Cooler

Late night Snack:

Frozen Blueberry Waffle with Peanut Butter & Jam on top

I don't even want to think about the calories I consumed yesterday. The worst part is I didn't even get to enjoy feeling full from all those calories as I was still hungry for more.

I know there are people out here in Lapbandland that practically laugh at people moaning about how they just ate an entire gallon of ice cream but don't know why they aren't losing any weight with the band. But darn it if it were so easy to put that spoon down on my own I wouldn't have needed this band in the first place.

Diane: Sounds like you had a bad day! Did you have an unfill for your surgery? I think I remember that you did. Somedays I wish I could get Pasta, brocolli and waffes! I have a hard time with those things going down the band. Of course, I can eat snickers and chocolate with the best of them! LOL! I think it's the stress of the season and coming off of a really big deal like you're surgery. Maybe allow yourself one or two small treats everyday until things settle down and just plan it into your calorie intake. Just a suggestion.

Okay, Diane and Mimin, I went for another plastic surgery consult and he said a lot different things to me than the first guy! He said that I have lost enough weight, that the only place there is fat on me is on my tummy and he will take it off. He also said that I should absolutely not have Lipo on my stomach, because it's dangerous, especially with a band. That the surgeon has to go in there blind, so to speak and why when it can be removed surgically. He also said that the "thickness" above my belly button and up to my rib cage can be handled very well with a TT (like you said Mimin). He also said he would not do the arms along with the TT and breast lift and that I would need another surgery for the back side and arms and if I did lose more weight they could touch up any loose skin at that time. What do you guys think? Of course, I want to believe him because I'm not losing weight very fast anymore. I wouldn't have the surgery until March, so I plan to keep trying to lose weight, but it does take the pressure off to not worry about a certain number. He also said, that he didn't think I had 20 pounds to lose. Such a wierd thing to hear a doctor say! I see another doctor tomorrow. If I get 3 different opinions, I'm not sure what I'll do. Anyway, this has turned into a long post. Sorry about that. Give me your thoughts!

OMG TAMI LOOK AT YOU! Smokin hot! I have a pair of lucky's that I cant wait to wear however at this rate it will be awhile! Something about cute lil designer jeans that makes me happy. Kind of dumb, lol. A belt lipectomy is a lower body lift (or similar) isn't it? I am having a heck of a time healing, swelling is out of control. I am now 18lbs heavier than I was the day of surgery and a 7lb difference from yesterday. Yay for drain removal:phanvan I'm trying to chill out and should stay the heck off that scale!

Karey: I am neurotic! I remember gaining like 10lbs with my BA but still I flip out when the scale goes up. Old habits die hard and right now I can eat a moose per sitting (and getting quite close). I need to start journalling again and be accountable for the crap I put in my mouth.

How do you feel after your second consult? The two have similar recommendations as far as TT and not a full lift but how they'd go about it is much different. I like that he didn't recommend getting your arms done with a TT - believe me you'll need those arms! My surgeon said the similar about Lipo on the abdomin, he thought it was a waste of time when he could just cut it off and made a promise if there was fat in there he'd take it, lol!

Now I am only 3 weeks out but right now I think if I had done it all over again I would have gone for an extended TT and not the full lower lift. My biggest concern was my thighs and to be honest there is a minimal all over improvement. The sides and tops look great, back of thighs are better but the meaty thigh itself is still showing cellulite and 'wobbly' movement. I am pretty disappointed with it... but again, I am neurotic and a perfectionist and want instant gratification so it may be different in a couple months:)

Ghost: I think the idea of blogging all our food is a great idea! I am eating so much more than I did before and it is freaking me out (yet I can't stop!)

Did you have any incision issues with your TT? I am having some BIG ones and I just want to scream! I think I'm at the 3 week post - op funk, ugh.

Food Intake 12/18

Breakfast

Isopure Protien shake with banana

lunch

chicken streaking burrito with cheese, sour cream, black/pinto Beans and rice (ate 1/2 so about 1.5 cups)

A lot of tortilla chips and salsa

snack

small bag of M&M Cookies from the stupid vending machine

dinner

Hamburger patty with cheddar cheese

1/2 cup of mashed potatoes

Snack

if I had to guess I'd say 20 hersey truffle kisses

100cal sunchips

that is all I can remember....

Don't wonder why. food tastes good, plain and simple.

You have one hell of a sweet tooth but I completely understand. I tried and tried to do good. I would go days doing exactly what I was suppose to. Then I would kill all my efforts by going out and eating a large Mexican food platter. Why? Because there was nothing to stop me and it all tasted soooo good. Did I mention how easy beer was going thru?

So don't kick yourself, you are not alone.

Peanut butter... mmmmm... sorry, I was drifting away there.

I finally went in and had another fill and I am extremely tight. But that is what I needed. There will be plenty of time later after I lose the weight to eat more Mexican food platters. Hopefull by that time I will have changed the way I look at food and will never want the platter, maybe the smaller plate.

It's not easy to just put down the fork or spoon. It's very very hard. If it wasn't so hard then there wouldn't be the need for a lap-band.

Karey - Sounds like a plan. I need to do something soon. Yesterday I was SOOOOOOOOO BAD! My daily food consisted of the following.

Breakfast:

1/2 cup of grapenuts with nearly 1/4 cup sugar & skim milk.

1 - Hershey's chocolate Almond Bar (for Breakfast? I know)

Lunch:

A frozen Nancy's Quiche with Pepperjack Velveeta melted on top (that wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't ate the whole quiche to the tune of nearly 500 calories with the cheese on top)

Afternoon Snack:

1 - Chocolate Ice Cream Bar

2! - Snicker Ice Cream Bars

1 - Slimfast Low Carb shake

(WTF!)

Dinner:

1/8 cup thin spaghetti w/butter

1 cup homemade broccoli cheese Soup

1 Peach Wine Cooler

Late night Snack:

Frozen Blueberry Waffle with Peanut Butter & Jam on top

I don't even want to think about the calories I consumed yesterday. The worst part is I didn't even get to enjoy feeling full from all those calories as I was still hungry for more.

I know there are people out here in Lapbandland that practically laugh at people moaning about how they just ate an entire gallon of ice cream but don't know why they aren't losing any weight with the band. But darn it if it were so easy to put that spoon down on my own I wouldn't have needed this band in the first place.

Okay, Maybe the September bandsters need to wait until after Christmas to join the challenge?! Is there anyone out there? Mimin, Diane, maybe we'll have to have our own very "Small" support group! Is everyone doing great and they don't need a little encouragement? Speak!

I had my band tightened recently and feel like I am finally going to start losing. In the 15 months that I have had the band I have had 8 fills and had my weight go up and down. Monday, when I got my fill, I showed that I had only lost about 20 pounds total (according to the doctor's scale :paranoid ) since my banding. So I am up for a challenge now. let's go.

Mim, yes, a belt lipectomy is just another term for lower body lift. I was cut all the way around my hips, but he just removed a little pooch at the belly, without tightening the abdominal muscles or moving the belly button. And I gotta admit that I was a little disappointed, too, regarding the thighs. Even after the surgery, I had a little bit of saddlebags, and cellulite and jiggle. Of course, I didn't keep the weight off long enough to see if there would be improvement over the long-term. We moved to a new house, and the stress sent me to gain mode. I stayed within 30-40 lbs. of my lowest point for a couple of years, and then ballooned way up again, ultimately being about 40 lbs. heavier than my previous heaviest weight.

I went for 3 ps consultations last summer, but put it off, partly because of fear that once again I would go through ps just to regain the weight. But, after maintaining my weight with really very little diet effort (but a lot of exercise), I feel pretty confident that it's going to stay off this time. I'm going the week after Christmas for one more consultation, with a surgeon who specializes in "endoscopic" or minimally-invasive ps. He apparently trains other surgeons in the techniques. I'll be curious to see if he sees any hope for my legs/thighs. I'm definitely getting another breast lift and implants replaced, because I'm due for replacing the implants anyway. But, I sure would like a little better balance between the upper and lower body. I'm definitely not comfortable in a bathing suit right now.

Do you guys ever watch "Nip Tuck"? I envision dropping my robe in front of the surgeon while crooning, "Make me beautiful...." (The theme song!)

Karey, you're lookin' marvelous from what I can see in that little ol' pic! Keep up the good work!

And Mim, lock that scale away (along with the chocolate), and give yourself a break from it while you heal!

Tami

I don't normally forward e-mails like this much lest post them on lapband talk. Infact I tend to delete 98% of the stupid e-mails I get from friends & family without even opening them once I see they were a forwarded message.

But I thought we could all use a little "Dieting" humor at the moment. so here goes and I hope you all forgive me for posting this! :rolleyes:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer'

Yesterday I was buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for Max, my wonder dog, at Wal-Mart and was about to check out. A woman behind me asked if I had a dog. On impulse, I told her no, I didn't have a dog. I was starting the Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms. I told her it was essentially a perfect diet and the way it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

(I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story.)Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me.

I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's butt and a car hit us both. I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.:pound:

WALMART won't let me shop there anymore!!!:heh:

Tami: You will have to let me know what the PS says about your thighs! Mine has said he can do an inner lift that will take care of the cellulite and flub but that leaves me with scars that run from crotch to knee - I don't want to be a patch work doll nor do I think I want anymore major surgery. It is so frustrating to have an ideal of what you will look like, spend a boat load of money and not get what you had expected. I took your advice, I threw away the chocolate and put the scale in Jamie's bathroom - he's dieting and needs it but I don't want to see the stupid thing! I watch Nip/Tuck - LOVE IT!

Ghost: Thanks for sharing! I had read that a couple years ago but it is still funny!

Tami: You will have to keep us posted on your appointment with PS and the new technique. I had a third appointment yesterday with a PS and found it interesting. They are all a little different, but he did say that he would only do the stomach and breast lift at the same time and that I would have to have the back (belt lipectomy and arms later). He also said that my skin is very stretched on my upper abdomen and that he might consider making an additional incision down the middle to pull the skin tighter. Not sure how many scars I want to live with either. I think I have decided to go with the 2nd guy. Something just clicked and I liked his mannerisms, attitude and pictures the best. I'm going to ask him about my thick upper stomach and tell him what the other doc said. I think I will have the surgery around March 3rd. Meanwhile, I'm going to hit it as hard as I can and try to lose more weight and get in even better shape! I had my first pilates class today and really liked it. It didn't burn a lot of calories (according to my body bugg), but I think it will help my core. I am going to work out 3 days a week with my trainer until my surgery and count every calorie. That being said, I'm going to give myself a little leeway on the calories on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Harlito, you can do it. It's not too late. You have the tools and now the proper fill level and attitude! Nothing tastes as good as being thin and in shape fills. Somehow we need to replace food as a stress reliever. I've found a few things that help when I get the irrestible urge for sweets. Something warm. like a cup of hot tea or no sugar hot chocolate. sugar-free Jello or pudding. One thing that really fills me up, lasts a long time and is good for you is: 1/2 c. cottage cheese, 1/2 c. Fiber Cereal and a serving of fruit or if you have the munchies, mix it with sugar free pudding. There are also low calories ice cream cones, etc. Non food stress relievers: a warm bath, a nice walk, calling a friend, petting a pet, getting a massage, manicure or facial, etc. September bandsters we can do it! We already have done it. Just a few adjustments and we're back with the program. Right!? Wish you all the best.

Mimin: Hope you're feeling better soon. Diane: Thanks for sharing the joke.

Hi all! Hope everyone survived Christmas! I am starting to feel better and hope to have clearance to return to work after my appointment tomorrow. Something about sitting on the couch day in and day out with no purpose is depressing! :)

I am posting again to see if we can round up more troops for another challange. Anyone interested in starting New Years day? I have ate myself stupid and I personally need a kick in the pants!

So far we have

Kareyquilts

Theghost

Harlito

MimIN

Anyone else?? It's all in fun to help keep eachother in check!