Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Issues Connected To The Sleeve

I'm about 5 weeks out, and since returning to work a week ago, I find my anxiety have skyrocketed. I find any situation where I'm in public very difficult, and have come to rely on my husband's presence to calm me down...

I was a nervous person before, but didn't have the issues I'm having now.. has anyone else had these issues? I'd love some help...

~emily anne

I'm seven weeks out and I noticed that my depression has acted up for most of this post-op period. Do you have depression or just anxiety? Mine is tied to depression so I get the double whammy. From what I've been reading it seems to be a common problem after surgery.

Rapid weight loss releases lots of estrogen into the blood stream. And VSG is a life-changing surgery.

Perhaps your doc can adjust your meds during the early transition to your new life?

I was so tired post-op I didn't notice if I was depressed or not.

Lynda

I haven't had surgery yet, but my emotions are going crazy on my pre-op diet & I think it's because of having so few calories, especially after being used to a lot more. I've snapped at stupid things & am much more on edge.

I was hoping that with surgery and especially once I get back on regular food and more calories that will improve. Maybe it's just worse because you're still not far out from surgery. If it continues long-term, you could probably see about medication. Sorry I don't really have suggestions. Just know you're not completely alone in the emotions department!!

I'm the odd duck on this site. I had a dream recovery! Progressed along with no trouble, haven't found a food yet that I can't tolerate, and haven't hit a stall (knock on wood) yet. Probably when my time comes I will be hit with something horrible, but in the meantime I'm using my ridiculous and disgusting positivity to be a cheerleader for others.

That said, I started seeing a therapist about a year and a half before my surgery. I had always been kinda tightly wound and had bouts of anxiety on and off, but around that time I had several life events that just pushed me over the edge.

I continued to see my therapist through the whole pre-op process and I'm still seeing her. I don't know how I would have done most of this without that support. If you're having depression or anxiety I would highly highly recommend seeing a therapist. It's hard to find a good one, but once you do you will find relief and solace there. It can be hard at times, but will help to bring about so many positive changes in your life. AND, like this surgery, a few months later you will wonder why you ever waited so long to do it.

I agree. For me counseling is essential. So much is changing already (just a week post-op) but having a therapist who can help me stay centered and process feelings about food, body image and the huge transformation I'm going through. Need a safe place to vent, be frustrated, sad, ect. Good luck to you!

I'm like Mews. Had the big D mixed with anxiety pre op and now post op it can go a bit awry!

I'm five weeks out and hormonal fluctuations are a biggie. Massive changes happening in our bodies. We need time to setlle back down. Right now are systems are screaming "WTFFFFFFFFFF!!"

Hormones! No doubt.

I was anxious before surgery and took Celexa to help. I missed a couple days of my meds right after surgery and wow! I could tell my anxiety was gonna be a big problem, really quickly! So I promptly started my meds again and I feel much better.

I have been so depressed since surgery. My pcp told me that it was due to all the organic changes. He put me on viibyrd. Wow what a difference a week makes. It made so much sense once he told me it was just my body adjusting. I was blaming my self and hating my sleeve but not anymore;) hang in there.

Nutritional deficiencies can manifest themselves in may ways and emotional problems can be one of them. Make sure you are keeping pace with your body demands for fluids and Protein and make sure you're taking in enough calories to fuel yourself, too.

I am bi-polar, even keel with the meds. During my psych evaluation, I was told that bi-polar people do not do well after wls. Seems they feel better after the surgery and stop taking their meds. If I do get more than slightly depressed, I will just call my psychiatrist. I love been on an even keel, so why would I stop my meds?

Good on you Karen. As you'd know people with bi polar and schizophrenia are prone to stop taking meds when feeling good - I guess they think "Hell, don't need them anymore." People with depression (in my experience) do the same thing. Not this little black duck - I've been on meds for nearly 15 years and have no plans to stop in the near future. It's so great that you have enough insight to be able to recognise that you need to stay on the meds!

I have a mild case of depression that I can manage without medication, but after my surgery I felt really down. It took a few months for me to feel normal again.

For me it had to do with my connection to food. Even though we can't eat as much, I still had the mental craving to eat lots of food to comfort myself. I've been an emotional eater since I was a child. I couldn't physically do it (nor would I want to), and especially while I was on a liquid diet it felt like torture.

The drop in calories post-surgery may contribute to your anxiety. Maybe once you can increase your calories and/or get used to the lower food intake you will feel better?

I am so happy you guys posted this. I am 2 weeks post today and just feeling a little sad. Nothing big but usually I am so happy so this is new. Maybe ill call my surgeon tomarrow and see what he says. :) I love this forum!