Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Saying Hi - Surgery Date 5/14

I've posted on a few of the main boards, but hadn't checked out this one yet. I'm in my pre-op diet stage now. My surgery is set for the afternoon of 5/14...... 9 more days!! I'm getting excited for my new life even though I know it'll be a long road ahead! I have about 130 lbs to lose for my ultimate personal goal. I'm 5'9" and currently 268 lbs (was 279 at my consult w/ the doctor).

I'm almost 37, married, and have 2 daughters (12 & almost 8) & we have 2 dogs also. I'm a full-time student currently, but I'm getting my Associates next week and I'm not taking classes this summer. I recently got accepted to The University of Texas - Austin for the Fall semester. I also work part-time from home as a medical transcriptionist.

I started a blog to chronicle this journey, which I listed in my signature. I'm also on MyFitnessPal as mygastricsleevelife if anyone wants to add me there.

I tried to add you on myfitness pal, but it said my email didn't go through - I'll try again :-) Good luck!

I hope your journey so smooth with no complications. I'm in the process of starting mine. I'm self pay since my insurance doesn't cover it. I'm hoping to get my sleeve in October. Seems so far away. I have been over weight for so long and have type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure as well as severe heel pain. I'm a full time cook so not looking forward to my two week pre op but ready to get the ball rolling. I can't wait to feel healthier and be able to do things that I haven't been able to do for a long time. I have the same thoughts about failure that you mention but I think we all go through that. Please keep us posted as you continue on your way.

Hi Michele - Nice to meet you! I was sleeved on 4/23 and also work from home as a medical transcriptionist. I'll be going back to work tomorrow. Good luck on your journey!

Welittle - I'm self-pay too! I have sleep apnea also & was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 18 months or so ago, but my doctor recently changed the official diagnosis to fasting glucose impaired because my numbers in the lab were okay and the insurance was saying I didn't fit the diabetes diagnosis! So stupid.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my new life & am really hoping I'll get off my CPAP & metformin! I have lots of lower back & hip pain that I'm sure will go away with the more I lose too!

Joni - how long have you done MT work? I did the Career Step program in 2006 & started working in March 2007. I quit for about 8 months at the end of last year to focus more on school, but started again with the same company in March because we could really use the extra money, especially since I'm self-pay for this. I've only been doing part-time about 10 hours a week lately, but I'll probably do about 30 hours a week this summer since I'm not taking classes.

Countrysjr - what's your MFP name? I can try to add you.

Michelle - Been doing it since '97. Work for the same hospital where I had surgery performed :D Went parttime a few years back, and currently doing 25 hrs/wk. What are you going to school for?

Michelle - Been doing it since '97. Work for the same hospital where I had surgery performed :D Went parttime a few years back, and currently doing 25 hrs/wk. What are you going to school for?

Cool! I've done mostly clinic work instead of hospitals.

Although MT stuff has been good & was really nice when my kids were little, I've always dreamed of teaching high school Spanish, so that's what I'm going to school for now. I've loved Spanish since I started taking it in 7th grade & I served a mission for my church in Chile, which made me love it even more. I've been lucky to be able to get most of my classes during the day when my kids are in school. I hope to be able to continue that way at the university too. I'll be about 40 by the time I get my Bachelor's, but I'm happy to be following my dream.

Absolutely! I truly believe it's never too late to go for our dreams - you'll have accomplished your weight loss dream and teaching Spanish. I think that's fantastic! Hats off to you!

My surgery is the 14 th too! It's going to be a long haul. 140 lbs to lose! That's a whole person. Thank god it's almost here. I'm ready off a new life.

Sent from my iPhone using VST