Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help I Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong!

Hi my name is Brenda,

I was sleeved on March 12, 2012 in Tijuana bc my health insurance does not cover bariactrics.

I am 5'2" and my starting weight was 227lbs. I am currently 6wks 5 days post sleeve. I lost rapidly in the first 3 wks after surgery and dropped 25lbs very quickly and was happy to be at 202. Since then I have fluctuated between 202 and 199 for 5 wks. I really don't get it. I am reading here about all the people that have dropped 40, 50, and 100 or more lbs. I'm trying hard not to get too discouraged but I just keep thinking what if this is it for me, that I spent 5000 and now what. I try and eat mostly Protein, limit my carbs little to no sweets and I have been walking but I must confess it has not been steady every night. I do not have at thyroid bc I had it removed in 2005 due to thyroid cancer, however my current thyroid numbers are within acceptable limits.

Any ideas????

Go to MyFitnessPal and sign up - I suggest you do, anyway.

Keep track of everything you eat, and make sure you understand te size of your portions.

Make sure you are getting in a Multivitamin everyday.

get in your fluids!

The point of keeping track of your calories is to be sure you are getting ENOUGH. Different than we are used to. Aim for at least 800, in my opinion. And be patient...

I have said it before but go buy a tight fitting tshirt so you can "feel" it getting lose over the next several weeks.

Many lose inches while stallin gon the lbs!

LOVE this idea! Easier than measurements, and so much better than a scale. (Sorry, I'm terribly anti-scale during weightloss, but rather pro-scale for maintenance).

I keep my jeans that I wore the day before surgery, and won't wash them (don't want to be able to attribute anything to shrinking/stretching). I only wore them for 2 or 3 hours, and will only be putting them on for a min, so it's not as gross as it sounds. ;)

I have said it before but go buy a tight fitting tshirt so you can "feel" it getting lose over the next several weeks.

Many lose inches while stallin gon the lbs!

I agree with pookey, myfitnesspal is a godsend for me. It makes me accountable for everything I eat and Water intake and exercise. Sure, I have days where I dont exercise enough , have enough water etc but it helps me get back on track. You are doing great just mix it up a bit and I bet the weight loss kicks back in soon. Best of luck to you.

I keep my jeans that I wore the day before surgery, and won't wash them (don't want to be able to attribute anything to shrinking/stretching). I only wore them for 2 or 3 hours, and will only be putting them on for a min, so it's not as gross as it sounds. ;)

I don't think this is gross at all. I think it is a good reminder. You wore them for a few hours and you are only putting them on to test progress. I am keeping my surgery day out fit. It was all knit so I am not worried about the wash, but that is what I am wearing every time I step on the scale so I can't make the excuse it was the clothes or not the same. Of course until they just drop off my body LOL!!

I have been using myfitnesspal.com as well. It is great because I can input on my smart phone app or on the computer. It has a wide range of products stored in its database and if you use the smart phone app you can scan the bar-codes.

I agree to try to stay within the 800 - 1000 calories a day; eat the best part first (protein), make sure that you are getting in your Vitamin daily.

Brenda,

I too was sleeved on March 12, here in Oregon. I have only lost 19 lbs so far. 15 the first 3 weeks, 2 the next 4 weeks. I was not measuring my Water prior to Monday.....I figured I was drinking enough. Monday I started measuring out a full 64 oz and got it in 2 days in a row, and this morning I was down 2 lbs! Really try to stay away from sugar and white carbs....its literally poison, and I think very addicting. I'm drinking the Premier Protein from costco every morning (its the only one I can choke down), and if I have a craving for something sweet, I eat 1/2 of a Protein Bar. C'mon, hang in there with me. I know for me, this is my final attempt (cuz I'm old), and it WILL work, and I'm going to make sure of it. I believe it will for you, too.

Ellen

Aloha Brenda.....I am also 5'3" and was 223 lbs when I was sleeved on Oct 25. At 7 weeks out I had lost 22 lbs and was THRILLED. Think about that.....when was the last time you lost 22 lbs in less than 2 months? And even though you have stalled, it happens to a lot of us and it will start coming off again. Honest. You won't be gaining it back, I'll tell you that. And every day you will get a little stronger in the exercise department. I honestly didn't exercise for 4 months after the surgery because I was traveling through Europe! So I was walking, but not doing anything aerobic. Now, 7 months post op, I have lost 70 lbs, and I run / walk on the treadmill every day and I do my strength training exercises faithfully. I love exercising now because it's so much easier. So it will all come in good time. The advice the others have given you is great advice; we all have to learn what works for us. But since we are the same height and same starting weight almost, take a look at some of the photos on my blog (link below) and hopefully you will be inspired........I think I look like a completely different person. I'm sure I'm a lot older than you, but you'll get an idea. Good luck and keep us posted.....I have a feeling in a week or two you'll see some nice steady progress. BTW, I have been losing a lb a week for about the last 2 months and am SO happy with that because I don't have lose skin issues that you can have with fast weight loss.

Thank u to all that replied to my topic. I will take to heart the advice given me and keep my chin up. I was already using my fitness pal but will start trying to do better with my intake of fluids and keeping track of the exact amounts I am taking in as well as exercising on a more regular basis. Once again thank everyone! Brenda