Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Drinker Craving Alchol?

Before my surgery I rarely drank more than a few sips of my husbands cold beer every blue moon. Starting last week I have been craving alcohol just out of the blue. Has any one else experienced this? Is it some kind of deficiency? I don't think alcohol has any nutritional value but I'm wanting it for some reason lol.

Ever hear of transfer addiction? Don't start drinking now just because you can't eat. I think a little alcohol here and there is fine, but it's strange that a non-drinker would suddenly start craving it, IMO. My psyche told me that I would "definitely" become an alcoholic, so I've been very stringent on how much and when I drink...and I never drank much pre-op either.

Good luck!

Rachael,

i think they refer to alcohol as "empy calories." Not good to drink alot. I know its ok to have a little now and then, but overdueing, like food - isn't great. Remember, smaller portions and moderation

kathy

sorry for the interruption,/crash but......

Lissa,

i see you have been creeping "down" in weight to losing 91 lb - how terrific is that? :)

congrats

kathy

LOL, thanks, Kathy!! I'm losing, albeit slowly on the pounds front. B U T I am stronger and wearing smaller sizes than I have in 10 years. I'm btwn 260 and 264 daily, dying to get into the 250's. However, I weighed 245-260 on the way up for over 10 years, so I know this is a plateau weight. It doesn't matter, though. I will get there and I'm adding in more exercise every day. Besides, my butt looks fabulous right now!! ;)

Ever hear of transfer addiction? Don't start drinking now just because you can't eat. I think a little alcohol here and there is fine' date=' but it's strange that a non-drinker would suddenly start craving it, IMO. My psyche told me that I would "definitely" become an alcoholic, so I've been very stringent on how much and when I drink...and I never drank much pre-op either.

Good luck![/quote']

That is so interesting! I'm going to look into it because of how strange it is for me to crave something I've never wanted before.

You betcha!!!!! From what I understand, when we had this surgery, not only were our tummies removed but some hormones and other "stuff" we may not know we needed. It makes sense to me, however, when some of these hormones are removed, people do stuff they never used to. . .turn to drugs, alcohol, sex, get more emotional, get angry, etc. . . I did that too. . never was a drinker, but recently I could easily become an alcoholic. . .thank goodness I have control not to do that. . .but it's definately there, that and wanting to go crazy on carbs. . . at 3 years out this is not a good thing (no wonder some people fail with this surgery after a while). . . I had posted a post about my hubbie hurting my feelings by telling me I had gained weight, well after having had a pity party with myself and LOTS of self talk, I told him thank you cause even though I did not gain weight (according to my scale) it made me realize that maybe I'm doing bizzare things which i didn't do before. . . and then I realized that yes I'm snacking like an idiot on carbs and between meals and yes I was drinking alcohol A LOT!!! Sooooo, i stopped that dead in its tracks. . . think head hunger is murder? Try stopping every thing cold turkey! If i wasn't crazy before, I will be now! hahaha. . . but it's only temporary cause once my body gets back on track, I will be ok. . . . PS: For you stats folks, I don't have proof of my findings, only observation. . . .

You betcha!!!!! From what I understand' date=' when we had this surgery, not only were our tummies removed but some hormones and other "stuff" we may not know we needed. It makes sense to me, however, when some of these hormones are removed, people do stuff they never used to. . .turn to drugs, alcohol, sex, get more emotional, get angry, etc. . . I did that too. . never was a drinker, but recently I could easily become an alcoholic. . .thank goodness I have control not to do that. . .but it's definately there, that and wanting to go crazy on carbs. . . at 3 years out this is not a good thing (no wonder some people fail with this surgery after a while). . . I had posted a post about my hubbie hurting my feelings by telling me I had gained weight, well after having had a pity party with myself and LOTS of self talk, I told him thank you cause even though I did not gain weight (according to my scale) it made me realize that maybe I'm doing bizzare things which i didn't do before. . . and then I realized that yes I'm snacking like an idiot on carbs and between meals and yes I was drinking alcohol A LOT!!! Sooooo, i stopped that dead in its tracks. . . think head hunger is murder? Try stopping every thing cold turkey! If i wasn't crazy before, I will be now! hahaha. . . but it's only temporary cause once my body gets back on track, I will be ok. . . . PS: For you stats folks, I don't have proof of my findings, only observation. . . .[/quote']

Wow, it's so nice to know I'm not crazy! I still haven't given in to the craving but it hasn't gone away either. Your explanation makes sense, hormones make us do all kinds of things! Btw, aren't husbands wonderful? I haven't eaten more than I'm supposed to but my husband said he thought I might be eating to much (1/2 cup retried beans). I told him to bite me.