Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggesting banding to others.....

Okay, I am having a dilemma. Do any of you feel strange talking about your weight loss surgery to others that are obese and don't have the band? Sometimes if I talk about it I feel as if they may think I am suggesting that they do the same. And sometimes if I am talking with someone that IS obese and hasn't even asked about my band, I feel like I want to tell them they too have this option and can be healthy again. I know how they feel inside and I know it hurts, maybe they just don't know that they can do it too!! I try and be discreet but it is uncomfortable sometimes.

Anyone else have these feelings too or am I just being a hypocrite!

I've had these feelings quite often. Whenever I see an obese person, I want to run up to them and tell them all about the band and suggest that they have the surgery. Of course, I would never do this because I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

I believe every obese person has to hit a point where they say, That's it, I need to make changes for ME." One could liken this to an alcoholic hitting rock bottom. If someone WANTS to know how you're losing weight he/she will either ask directly or make not so subtle hints. So, unless asked, I don't offer.

Honestly, I don't talk about my band with anyone except my immediate family and the people on this board. However, I do know several people that are "obese" and if they begin noticing I am losing weight, I will probably tell them about the band, especially if they ask how I am losing it. Other than that, I feel like my band is a very personal issue and don't talk much to others about it.

I know how you feel. I have cousins who have the same "body build" as I have and I would love to see them do this, but I don't know if it would be appropriate for me to bring it up. I love them to death but they aren't people I see and talk with real often.

I have told only one very close friend who lives out of state and my immediate family about my surgery. My friend is about the same size as I am and I answer anything she asks but would be careful never to insinuate that she should do this. I figure she knows what I have done and if she is interested, she will know how to get more information. I don't regret it for a minute, but it's not for everyone. Sometimes I wonder if she is waiting to see how it works out for me. I HOPE I KNOCK HER SOCKS OFF!!!

Hope

I too do not share info unless asked, but once asked I praise the band to no ends :Banane27:

Nana~

I do talk freely to those that ask... however, those that just meet me have no idea or concept of the weight that I have lost. Therefore, they don't "know" they can ask me. I just want to scream at the top of my lungs that there are option for people with obesity. Plus, MANY don't know about the "other country" option or that there are packages for self pay. I just don't want to pry but I do want others to know about it, especially those that can really benefit from it.

I've wondered the same thing. Where I teach there are about 6 wonderful fantastic ladies that are as heavy as I am. They don't know what my summer vacation entailed. There are no band docs here. I traveled 300 miles to DFW area for this surgery. I noticed that my band doc is returning to our area again to give a seminar the end of sept. I want to tell and invite these ladies, but I'm afraid I would offend them. I keep turning this over in my mind.

Terry :Banane27:

I told everyone I work closely with what I was doing before I did it. So those that are in the same boat already know about it. If they see it working for me, then maybe they'll ask, then I'll tell them what I can. I never hid what I was doing from anyone. But I don't suggest it to anyone or bring it up to other people unless they ask.