Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Detach Yourself From Food?

I'm days away from my surgery. My doctor didn't ask me to be on any diet, but I'm nervous and I over eat when I'm nervous or excited. I bought all the post op liquids and Vitamins but I I'm not feeling mentally prepared for giving up and yes I'm very excited about a new life but I'm running out of time to just wake up one day and say good bye to bad foods. I've been wanting this for years and now it's here How did you guys feel about your relationship with food before surgery?

Before surgery I liked to eat. I loved going out to eat with my family and friends. I liked to eat whatever. I did struggle with a mental image of eating a lot less food but had also decided that as humans, we eat way too much food. So with Kaiser we were required to lose 10% of our weight so I intentionally cut my meals into half. I had really struggled with this because I was so hungry all the time. But, I had diabetes and high chloresterol and was so afraid of the diabetes, I just did it.

Now, this is the best decision I could have made. Yes, I still struggle with head hunger and if I don't eat at a certain time, I get panicky and I get grumpy. But now I realize that I was addicted and still am to sugar. So my sugar monster is evil and lead me back to unhealthy eating habits that I had before. So, I am staying away from sugar! It helps. I don't need it. I don't want to gain my old weight back. So I am choosing to be happy with just a tiny bit of Protein and veggies. Oh and the best thing I do for myself is, I eat on some beautiful desert size bowls or plates. They are the right size and it is a priviledge to have a elegant desert plate. I purchased them for a couple of bucks of ebay. This makes me feel special. ;)

I can say I thought I understood it enough, and had accepted it enough - but after surgery I did realize I needed to work through it more.

Counseling can be good but it needs to be a counselor who is experienced in cognative process and food habits. The issues around your food can be a big deal too.

The journal thing - even if it is scribbled in like a post-day planner can be really helpful. It can show you where your patterns are likely to pop up, so you can work on them.

There is no way I can post enough to really help you, you will have to do it on your own, and it isnt just an ephipany and all is well, it is a daily process.

Just remember - you are not cured from being overweight. There are studies that suggest you fill fight this the rest of your life. Your "meds" now are your sleeve, and the understanding of good and bad habits with food, activity, stress, and other factors such as real meds (many real meds used to fight obesity related conditions in them selves make weight loss harder!).

I also suggest you read and reread books on the subject...I am currently reading The Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery, and (an old friend from wayyy back in my high school daze) The Way of The Peaceful Warrior.

Good luck!

I had a hard time after surgery dealing with my food addiction. The problem is that mentally you want to eat any and everything in sight, especially if you're watching tv because all the advertisements seem to be about food. The problem is that after being sleeved you CANT eat any and everything. Actually, it's not a problem, it's a good thing because that's why most of us end up here trying to get sleeved!

I think I bitched about it in my blogs. I was literally having tantrums because I wanted to eat some real food and it was probably a whole 4 weeks before I was able to eat anything solid. I was going crazy and was really resenting the fact that I decided to have the sleeve done. After a few weeks I reasoned with myself and understood that restriction was the only thing that could help me lose weight. As much as I loved food, I loved it too much and had no control and ended up being morbidly obese.

So the great thing about being sleeved is that even though you want to over eat and gorge and binge, you physically can't because it hurts so freakin bad if you eat just an ounce more than your new tiny tummy can handle. Eventually you become accustomed to eating the foods you like in much smaller portions, and you begin to appreciate your sleeve once you realize that you're losing weight and still able to enjoy food to an extent. You still get the feeling of being full, and your tastebuds still get to delight in delicious foods and tasty treats!

I'm not gonna sugar coat it at all. It wasn't easy for me that first month after being sleeved. But the struggle that I went through was so worth it. I lost 63 pounds so far and haven't looked back since. I'm down from a size 22 to a size 10 and couldn't be happier.

My suggestion which will probably get frowned upon by many is for you to enjoy your favorite meal before your surgery. Don't over do it, but if you like steak, then have a steak before you go in because it will most likely be a long time before you're able to enjoy a piece of steak again while you're healing. I think I was going insane because I had the pre-op diet going and then had to wait another 4 weeks before eating solids, so essentially I didnt have REAL food for 6 weeks! You know what that does to someone who loves food? LOL

All the best to you...safe surgery, quick and easy recovery. Just be patient and take everything in stride. The sleeve is the best decision I've ever made for myself and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

The way I look at it, you dont detach yourself from food, just the amount and what type. I thought it was going to be harder than it has been. Your tastes will change, some of the things you loved you may not like anymore and vise-versa. I havent denied myself anything since the surgery ( I wasnt much of a sweets person so that part was easy) If I felt like a "cheeseburger" I had a slice of cheese melted on 1/2 of a 1/4 lb patty with what ever Condiments I normally used. It took me an hour to eat but the craving was gone...and I got some Protein in! I believe unless you drink high calorie beverages every day you will be fine. I cant eat enough of anything to get the huge amount of calories needed to gain weight. My husband came home the other day with a slice of cheesecake from his work...I had two small bites and I was over it. Dont be so hard on yourself and be patient...it will all fall into place for you with a little time and patience.

Before surgery I liked to eat. I loved going out to eat with my family and friends. I liked to eat whatever. I did struggle with a mental image of eating a lot less food but had also decided that as humans' date=' we eat way too much food. So with Kaiser we were required to lose 10% of our weight so I intentionally cut my meals into half. I had really struggled with this because I was so hungry all the time. But, I had diabetes and high chloresterol and was so afraid of the diabetes, I just did it.

Now, this is the best decision I could have made. Yes, I still struggle with head hunger and if I don't eat at a certain time, I get panicky and I get grumpy. But now I realize that I was addicted and still am to sugar. So my sugar monster is evil and lead me back to unhealthy eating habits that I had before. So, I am staying away from sugar! It helps. I don't need it. I don't want to gain my old weight back. So I am choosing to be happy with just a tiny bit of Protein and veggies. Oh and the best thing I do for myself is, I eat on some beautiful desert size bowls or plates. They are the right size and it is a priviledge to have a elegant desert plate. I purchased them for a couple of bucks of ebay. This makes me feel special. ;)[/quote']

What you just told me its wonderful. I'm addicted to food. Well that's how I got to be this heavy I'm scared that I will fail on this so that's all. Thanks soooo much for the support I loved reading your experience

What the other posters have said is right on target, but I especially believe in the idea that we're not giving up food -- we're just giving up the AMOUNT of eat we used to eat (like Kimberly said). I really struggled with the idea mentally that I will never taste my parent's homemade cooking again, my husband's wonderful recipe's, or my favorite dishes eating out. But once I was able to go to solid foods, I realized I can still have those things just in moderation. Granted, I'm still being very watchful of what I eat having gone through a few stalls already. But when my husband was comped apple pie the other night at a restaurant, I had the smallest bite I think could ever exist. I mean it literally fit on the end of ONE of the prongs of the fork. But that bite was so amazing, and full of flavor. I savored it and was happy that I didn't want anymore. I was full of of 2.5oz of an unbuttered lobster tail and some broccoli! And yes, the waiter asked me three times if I was sure I didn't want them to prepare my tail with butter nor serve it drawn on the side :rolleyes:

I know eventually the weight will come off, I will get sick of being so diligent with my food journal, and I'll let the not-so-good stuff back in. But at least I know I won't be able to have that second portion of Pasta - hell, I'll be lucky if I can get through a 1/3 cup of pasta! Even if I lapse, I'll have this wonderful tool to remind me when I've had just enough. And it will be there to help me get back on track when I need to, along with the knowledge of what I know I need to sustain. Before this surgery, I thought 600 calories was starvation. There is a nagging voice in my head that still tells me that from time to time. But that's because before I was dieting at just 1000 calories, but still using caffiene, carbs, and sugar in that diet. I wasn't always watching what the calories were made up from! Now, I feel the best I've felt in YEARS and it's like it's clicked in my head. It's become natural instinct to go for the Protein before anything else.

I've truly realized my relationship with food was very attached to my emotions and memories. Food became a source of celebration that it was the weekend, that I made it through a difficult deadline at work, and then on the darker side it became a comfort when I felt rejected by coworkers, or my self-esteem was extremely low. Little did I know I was making it worse. Now, I have so much time to do other things and not think about food or where I'm going to go for food later or what treat I'm going to pick up later. My food is there and it's for nutrition, not for kicks. Yes, I will still enjoy my Dad's chicken bog next time I visit, but I'll skip or go easy on the rice and have more chicken. Now I get to choose when I want to ENJOY the food instead of it having control over me. Now I'm able to cope with those emotions and moments with something other than food like taking a walk or bike ride, cleaning up around the house or doing a project. Or just enjoying the fact my husband hugs me ALL the time now because he loves that he can get his arms all he way around me again :wub: :wub: