Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I've been sick with GASTRO issue for the last 9 years. I went to doctors in Florida who tried to tell me my stomach wasn't emptying properly and then took out my galbladder 9 years ago. He thought that would fix everything. WRONG!!! I finally couldn't handle the feeling anymore back in November. I found a GASTRO up in Indianapolis. He started running test and did an endoscopy. During that he discovered that my stomach was U shaped, knotted, deformed and not attached to any part of my body. Hence why I've been sick for so long. He had to meet with 30+ doctors for 2 months to figure out how they could fix this. In January, he sent me to a Gastric surgeon. The surgeon sent me for a CT Scan. He decided the best way to handle this was to do the sleeve in an emergency but not super fast emergency surgery. Since they had to do all the blood work and what not. Meanwhile from Decmeber to February I gained 50lbs reaching my heaviest weight ever. Still not heavy enough to have a Sleeve done thank goodness for this odd shaped stomach. Once they did the surgery on February 22, 2012 he realized that my stomach was worse than they thought. It was wrapped around my breast bone area and taking over the vital organs in my body. Goooood thing I had this surgery or I wouldn't be living much longer. Today it's been a month but I feel the best I've felt in 25 years of my life :) :) Although, the diet sucks. Mine is a little different than most Sleeve patients because they don't want me to drop a lot of weight. It's still hard though. I finally ran yesterday and it felt amazing!!!

WOW!! That's amazing! I've never heard of anything like it!! I'm so glad they found out what was going on. That's just crazy. :o

It is crazy!!! My surgeon in his 25 years has only seen this 4 times and it was in elderly people who had a hernia. I have never had a hernia so he's guessing it's a birth defect!!!

Wow Ashley- I am so glad that this was able to work for you!!

Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on the 40lbs!

Wow, thanks goodness you are going to be ok. I have never heard of that. Best of luck to you, seems like you are doing great now!

WOW... glad you are feeling great... Thank God for miracles!!!! Keep up the good work!!

CONGRATS on your weight loss and feeling better!

Wow! Ashley Brooke, what an experience! So glad you are feeling so well and doing so well!!!!! I've not been through everything you've been through, but I always say how fortunate we are that we have this new technology and opportunity. Certainly in your case it's been a life saver in many ways... especially finding some physical relief too!!! Best wishes that it's all great things from here on out!!!!

Wow, that's crazy - I'm glad they got your problems resolved in time.

Not to sound daft or argumentative -- because that's truly not my intention -- I'm trying to understand what you've been through in order to understand where you're at, and some of it isn't making sense. I'm thinking maybe something was miscommunicated?

How exactly is that your stomach is not attached to any part of your body (i.e. severed, and it would also be dead, and you'd likely be dead too), yet you have a functioning sleeve? Stomach not attached = no blood = necropsy = all kinds of badness, not to mention what would happen in the event of a duodenal separation. How is it that you still have a viable any part of a stomach? Just look at what other sleevers go through for relatively minor leaks, let alone full detachments. Are you sure this is what really happened?

And what do you mean by your stomach was "taking over" your other organs? Did you have a stomach transplant? Had your stomach somehow migrated and started to copress other organs? Please share as much detail as you're willing to. Sounds like you had some crazy stuff going on.

So the knotting and deformity all occured in the greater curvature of the stomach? (The bag-like part removed during a sleeve style gastroectomy) Or did some part of your esophagus, duodenum or intestine actually have the knotting/deformity -- and it was repaired during a sleeve procedure?

Sorry, I'm trying to get it.... :)

Thank you all :)

I thought I explained it well enough for everyone to understand. I am very sure I know what I had and what I've went through. I haven't had any issues with the sleeve because they reshaped my stomach and connected to were it was supposed to be. They have no idea prior to this how my food went through my body. I haven't had any leaks or anything. Everyones body is different and heals differently. I was in extremely good shape prior to having the surgery so my doctor said my body would heal differently and he didn't expect me to have any issues.

I'm sorry you don't understand what I have most people don't. My family, friends and I understand and know what I've been going through and basically that's what matters.

I just wanted to share my story not debate it or try to one up someone.

Thank you all :)

I thought I explained it well enough for everyone to understand. I am very sure I know what I had and what I've went through. I haven't had any issues with the sleeve because they reshaped my stomach and connected to were it was supposed to be. They have no idea prior to this how my food went through my body. I haven't had any leaks or anything. Everyones body is different and heals differently. I was in extremely good shape prior to having the surgery so my doctor said my body would heal differently and he didn't expect me to have any issues.

I'm sorry you don't understand what I have most people don't. My family, friends and I understand and know what I've been going through and basically that's what matters.

I just wanted to share my story not debate it or try to one up someone.

I'm so happy you had this resolved! It sounds like a frightening experience.

also, I think what Wheetsin was trying to convey, is that this is like a medical mystery and very intriguing for those of us who are medically inclined. I had some of the same questions and I hope it doesn't come off the wrong way by us asking. It's just an amazing story!

Did the doctor's ever give you the name of the condition? That way I can go research it and not pick your brain over the details :)

It's called organoaxial volvulus... Most people that have that it's cause by a hernia. Like I said mine wasn't. My was what they are thinking as a birth defect. It's one of the craziest things my surgeon and gastroenterologist has ever seen. ESP in someone so young!

Thankful that you had this surgery! Now you can move on with your life i a relatively painless way. CONGRATS! This is the best NSV ever! ;)