Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Have Any Regrets?

I'm a little over 3 months out.

I had a leak so I had regrets,,but since I recovered and at a steady pace of weight loss, feeling better and looking good,,I am happy. I'm still an addict.. sometimes I miss the fact I could eat what I want in any amount but I DON'T miss following through with it and the result of doing that.

Dr. Weiss..Georgetown Bariatrics

Hey catracks!!! I think we have the same surgeon :)

Really? Did he try to steer you to gastric bypass saying that you can be expected to lose only 50% of your excess weight. I'm going to my 3 month appointment at 50% lost. I'll say, "Stick that in your statistics."

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but most of his patients are bypass people and he believes that dumping syndrome and malabsorption are needed for better weight loss. I went to a meeting and saw the whole spectrum of bypass patients: A couple people who couldn't keep anything down and were sick and gray looking because of malnutrition. successful people, a person who drank her way back to obese, people who stretched out their pouches and ate around them (slider foods). and all the talk of dumping. I'm so glad I was sleeved instead.

No sleeve people at the support group though. Have you gone yet?

No sleeve people at the support group though. Have you gone yet?

No, unfortunately I have not gone. I keep telling myself to go. He also tried discouraging me on getting sleeved. I have an appointment on Monday. Cant wait for him to see my 32 lb loss in 6 weeks... Bwahahahaha!!!

Im just curious to hear if anyone has any regrets about being sleeved?

How long post-op?

Doctor used?

Any complications?

No regrets here, other than the obvious -wishing I didn't wait so long. I was sleeved 3/12, so still fairly new. I went to Dr. Claros, St. Lukes Bariatrics (PA ). So far zero complications!

BIGGEST REGRET - that it wasns't available to me YEARS AGO! And that I had had the courage to do it sooner. Although, I was one of the very first my surgeon did in this area 2 years ago.

Dr. Gibbs. - Little Rock, AR \

Sleeved 6/4/2010

Pre VSG - 250

Reached goal - 150 March 2011

Current - 160 ( too much junk !!) But this is a level weight for the past almost 8 mos.

No, unfortunately I have not gone. I keep telling myself to go. He also tried discouraging me on getting sleeved. I have an appointment on Monday. Cant wait for him to see my 32 lb loss in 6 weeks... Bwahahahaha!!!

Please come back and tell me what he says. My appointment is the following Monday.

"he believes that dumping syndrome and malabsorption are needed for better weight loss."

Sorry, but a doctor that believes his patients need to suffer to make this work is scary to me.

I will have no regrets once I start feeling like a normal person. I am down 57 lbs and am 5 months post op. I want to feel better and want to not be sad I can not eat anymore than a few bites. It is a hard transistion, they did not operate on my brain. I am grieving the food alot.

Are you going to therapy or support groups to help you?

I will have no regrets once I start feeling like a normal person. I am down 57 lbs and am 5 months post op. I want to feel better and want to not be sad I can not eat anymore than a few bites. It is a hard transistion, they did not operate on my brain. I am grieving the food alot.

I've had to go to therapy. It's still a struggle for me though..I really understand where you are coming from. When was your surgery? I think we're close in dates.

Ditto ditto ditto to regretting not doing it a few years earlier. I and 7 weeks post op and I am back to a completly normal life except that it costs less to feed me :). My wife is counting her savings. I have spaghetti and meatballs (I mean meatball) tonight and I literally was completly satisfied after what would've been one spoonful of almost a pound of Pasta. I even had a beautiful glass of delicious monte puliciano. I love life now!!!!!

No regrets! I was in the right "head-space" when my knowledge of this particular procedure was made known to me last October. I truly thought I was going to use the lap-band because I was not in favor of the bypass surgery due to the malabsorption issues. It was at the orientation with my surgeon's office that I learned about the Sleeve and I haven't regretted a single day since making this decision. I did a tremendous amount of research, attended classes, workshops and support groups -- all of which gave support to my decision.

How long post-op? Surgery was 3/21/12

Doctor used? Dr. Aileen Takahashi -- Association of South Bay Surgeons, Torrance, CA

Any complications? None.

It might take others longer to overtake their demons to help them cope with food issues..such as myself. I found out there are several different types of eaters,,unfortunately I eat due to emotions and for over 45 years I've become a food addict because of every bad thing that has happened in my life, I've chosen food to help me overcome. I have been in therapy for years,,even before I ever thought about surgery. The surgery has helped me to come to grips with food once and for all though.. I'm losing so I must be doing something right but surgery hasn't made it that much easier for me psychologically.