Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Going Down, But Not Pants Size Not So Much

I started out as probably a size 20 as I was literally squeezing in 18s. Now almost 50 pounds lighter I am in 16s - sort of. OI have a pair of 16 Lee Jeans that are too big. I have a pair of size 18 Liz Claiborne that are almost falling off, but a pair of Levi's 550 relaxed size 18s that don't like my lower stomach. The waist is too big, but the hips are too tight.

Am I an 18 or a 16 or a 14 or what?

I'm about to hit onderland. Do the sizes go down faster over there on the other side?

Oh I feel your pain!

I'm down from 268 to 224 and the last 8lbs have been the difference between 20 & 18 for me. Most of my 18s are tight and I prefer to wear my clothes on the loose side. I've also had a baby since I was last a size 18 and my shape is different so they fit different than before. I have some XL pants that fit again too. I can't believe that 40+ lbs are barely a size but I was TIGHT in my size 20s. I'm still happily wearing my 2x shirts although some are obviously too big.

So I have 20s that are huge, some that are comfy, some 18s that are tight, some 18s that are good and some XL pants that fit. Some of these ranges are within the same brands too!

For me with the smaller sizes I can move through them with about every 5 Lbs. I've even gone a size smaller without even losing any weight at all. Also, the smaller the clothes, the more crazy sizes can be. It gets to a point where you can't go clothes shopping without trying everything on. I used to be able to walk in a store, pick up a size and know it would fit. Not anymore!!

It's ok though because shopping is a LOT MORE FUN!!

I have a pair of size 24 jeans, that are hanging off.. but, a pair of 26s that are tight on me.. It depends on the designer, stretch, material and cut... Heck, girl I say you are the smallest size you can wear!!!

I have plastic storage containers of clothes from the past 8 years, hoping to lose weight year after year. I have clothes that are a size 6 that I look at now and want to cry that I ever fit into them. Same problem here with different brands and mass cuts. Most of my clothes come from Lane Bryant (gag) and I have one pair of 18s that fit like a charm, and another pair that looks exactly the same that fit all the way up but won't button/zip all the way. It's infuriating. I still mostly wear my size 20s even though they only look good for about the first 10 minutes out of the dryer, then they become all baggy. I even have a pair of 22s that fit ilke the 20s. Clothing manufacturer's are never the same factory and cuts can very. I say pick the size you find fits the most across the lot of them and go with that!

And yes, after losing 37 pounds I hoped to be down a full two sizes or more... but I'm only down like 1-1/2. But I'll take it!

I have a pair of size 24 jeans, that are hanging off.. but, a pair of 26s that are tight on me.. It depends on the designer, stretch, material and cut... Heck, girl I say you are the smallest size you can wear!!!

I like your spirit!

Thanks Irene. I was hoping the difference between sizes we're not so drastic as you got to at least the single digits or maybe starting at 12 or 10? I'm not sure my body will let me were 13/11/9/7/5/3 ... as I am curvy. I am wearing a size 17 today that are VERY loose. They are lowrise too. Bleech! Gotta wear what fits of the old clothes though.

I think the new jeans make it really hard to go "I am a size___". You have skinny cut, full cut, relaxed cut - and then the sizes to "fit your shape".

In a men's relaxed cut Carheart jean I am a 38"x32" - so I am going to go by that, lol.

I have plastic storage containers of clothes from the past 8 years, hoping to lose weight year after year. I have clothes that are a size 6 that I look at now and want to cry that I ever fit into them. Same problem here with different brands and mass cuts. Most of my clothes come from Lane Bryant (gag) and I have one pair of 18s that fit like a charm, and another pair that looks exactly the same that fit all the way up but won't button/zip all the way. It's infuriating. I still mostly wear my size 20s even though they only look good for about the first 10 minutes out of the dryer, then they become all baggy. I even have a pair of 22s that fit ilke the 20s. Clothing manufacturer's are never the same factory and cuts can very. I say pick the size you find fits the most across the lot of them and go with that!

And yes, after losing 37 pounds I hoped to be down a full two sizes or more... but I'm only down like 1-1/2. But I'll take it!

The smallest I have from the past are size 5s. I have these Gap slim jeans. As a kid, I always had to have slims and they had to be straight leg. Apparently I rarely throw any clothes away. Thankfully I was never into high style and even things from the late 70s and 80s wouldn't be out of style. Well, okay, my Hangten shirts might turn an eye, but they are not all that different from today's Roxy stuff.

As you can guess, I dress pretty casual. I think the reason my feet are in such good shape as the only time they have seen a heel is my wedding and job interviews. I am a Levis and Vans type of person.

I think the new jeans make it really hard to go "I am a size___". You have skinny cut, full cut, relaxed cut - and then the sizes to "fit your shape".

In a men's relaxed cut Carheart jean I am a 38"x32" - so I am going to go by that, lol.

That's what size my husband wears. I can't wait until I piss him off by wearing his cargo pants. Men's cargo pants actually have pockets unlike women's "cargo-like" pants.

I'm confused about this whole weight loss to pant size ratio as well. At 235 I was a size 18, 216 size 16 and now at 190 I'm a size 14, its comfy on my stomach area (thankfully my cousin gave me all her size 14 jeans soo happy!), not too tight but baggy in the thigh and butt area. I'm wondering at what weight will I be a size 12. I know it's being impatient and I'm not in a rush, I just want to go shopping lol.

This is very strange to me also. With my 45 pd loss I have went from a size 24 to a size 20. Maybe it has to do with your body shape.

I hope they get better on the other side of Onederland! I have two pairs of pants waiting for me to fit in them when the time comes, one a size 16 and the other a size 18w. The 16 fits better than the 18w! I can at least get them over my hips! :P I wish they would just make women's clothing like they make men's, by having the size be how many inches around your waist. It might create a stigma with some women, but let's be honest, it'd be a whole lot easier to shop! Also, we already create negative views on our own with the way pants are now.

Btw, the the 16's are from Old Navy, and the 18w's are from Faded Glory. I think that's Walmart's brand? Would make sense to me if they were!

I think it's totally your body shape. I have noticed that if you are an 'apple' like me, you tend to hang onto your belly fat longer so your pant sizes don't change as fast as someone who is a 'pear' shape (hips). I know my best friends all have their junk the trunk and skinny waists (well, skinny in relation to their hips) and when they lose weight, their the ones whose pants literally fall off, or down! Me, who started with a 58" waist (! :blink: yes you read that right!) but absolutely NO hips, I've only went down about 1- 1 1/2 sizes with a 50 lb loss!!!! Damn tummy, anyway. I keep waiting and waiting to be able to really notice a difference in my clothes, but not much yet. I know it will come. My shirts are also only down about a size or two (30/32 to 26/28). It really is discouraging since everyone on here always says "I'm losing inches!" even if they're stalled, but I've been stalled for almost 6 weeks and have NOT LOST ONE INCH off my waist since. Okay, I have to stop, or I'll start crying.... :unsure:

SO, anywhoozle...I totally think it depends on your shape! Anyone else?? Any apple shapes wanna comment? Any 'hipsters', lol!!???

Clothing size and body shape have a lot to do with it. I have pants that all fit about the same and they are size 10, 6, and 9. I have one pair that is too big and they are an 8. Sheesh! I have wide hip bones, so I have to be careful when buying pants. I do drop sizes faster now that I'm thinner. i'm just a couple of pounds from goal so I'm not expecting my clothing size to change much now. I have read that weight continues to redistribute for a few months and extra skin is reabsorbed to some degree during the first year after getting to goal, so maybe a little change in size is still coming.

Lynda