Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Sushi Nightmare,lesson Learned :(

I'm thinking it must have been the rice as well. I have a co-worker who had the surgery a few months ago and she was eating salmon sashimi with no problem by the 3rd or 4th month out. Rice tends to ball up and get stuck on the way down to the stomach and that might have been what caused the pain. Where did you feel the pain? Was it more chest pain or stomach pain?

I just eat sashimi... had my first meal of it on Valentine's Day' date=' so I was almost 2 months out. I haven't really tried rice yet...

Kimmie[/quote']

Perfect! I've been wondering when I can eat sashimi again. I'm one week out.

I don't eat sushi at all, but I don't go anywhere NEAR rice. Just the thought of it makes me nearly gag. I can eat a moderate amount of bread and other grains, but for whatever reason every time I've tried rice it's been disastrous.

I eat sushi quite often. I prefer nigiri, though. I will usually cut half of the rice off - it still tastes good, but then it leaves me more room for fish. With rolls, it's definitely a challenge. For your average small California rolls, I can eat 5 at most; honestly, 4 is plenty. For these giant rolls, 2 is all I can eat.

My favorite order is chirashi - assorted sashimi on a bed of rice. It's cheap per ounce of fish and I get to control the quantity of rice - honestly, a pinch is all you need.

Oh no. My favourite food is sushi and I have been wondering when I will be able to enjoy it again. After reading your post I am thinking it will be a while before I try sushi!

I have been eating Miso Soup as I figure it gives me more liquid intake and has a bit of Protein and I like it. The other day while waiting on my order I dared look at the appetizers thinking that tofu wouldn't be bad. I ordered deep fried tofu stuffed with avocado. I gobbled, yes gobbled up two pieces and immediately felt awful. I am sure there could be several reasons, deep fried (mind you only a tiny bit of batter), gobbling!, etc. I had to drive home and felt that baseball feeling in my chest and starting to get what I have now learned is "slime". It was horrible and perhaps we have to learn that Japanese food may not be in our diet just yet. Too bad.

I hope you feel better and perhaps we can eat sushi again sometime later in our timelines. I was going to say "recovery". I suppose I do feel that my weight loss may need to be thought of as a recovery period from some bad addictive food eating habits.

weight.png

I hope u will be able to eat sushi again. I can, but I didn't try eating it until I was about 7 post op. I only ate 2 pieces of a dragon then waited about 15 minutes or so and had 2 pieces of sashimi. No problems at all. Don't give up! Try it again in a few more months and take it slow. Good luck!

I hope u will be able to eat sushi again. I can' date=' but I didn't try eating it until I was about 7 post op. I only ate 2 pieces of a dragon then waited about 15 minutes or so and had 2 pieces of sashimi. No problems at all. Don't give up! Try it again in a few more months and take it slow. Good luck![/quote']

I really want to be able to have sashimi.....

My new favorite sushi is tuna, salmon, yellowtail, crab meat, white fish & avocado rolled in cucumber. My local sushi place calls it a cucumber special. No rice. I take all the cucumber off and eat the inside. Save the cucumber for later. Yummy!

I really want to be able to have sashimi.....

Sashimi is fine, you won't have any trouble with it. It's soft and goes down easier than any cooked meats.

I am only a few days post op, but when I was pre-op I loved sushi. I have ordered my sushi with no carbs aka no rice. If there is a chef in back making the sushi fresh to order it should not be a big deal. The local whole foods market on my area has a sushi bar that makes them all the time.