Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting The Scale Away

okay, so I'll admit it, i've been weighing myself everyday...more to measure what I'm eating and how it effects my weight loss, so that I can strike a good balance. BUT with that said, I don't think I was eating enough....SO i have put the scale away in the closet and am not bringing it back out for awhile. Given i ended up in the hospital two days ago....I'm stopping with the "how much am I losing' and going with "how do I feel."

Just putting it out there :) I eat things that make me feel good and I don't eat things that make me feel crappy...ie everything that I used to like that is all fatty and rich (which no longer tastes as good.) Maybe this isn't exactly what the doc said, but it makes me feel healthy and able to function.

That is such a great idea to put the scale in time out! Yes, I said it, TIME OUT! I like your plan and hope others can do the same. But we have had 85% of our stomachs removed and really can't eat that much anyways. The foods I want to put in my stomach are the healthy ones. I notice that when I eat fish, I will drop some weight, but I'm not going to stress over it anymore. When I get rid of the constantly checking, I actually dropped weight. Imagine that, I've been sabotaging myself this whole time with that stupid scale! I don't want to be caught up in that vicious cycle anymore. ;)

great idea guys! i'm putting my scale away too and will try to only weigh once a month. i've become overly obsessive with the scale and my counselor thinks it's time to put the scale on the back burner. good luck and i know we can do it! :D

okay, so I'll admit it, i've been weighing myself everyday...more to measure what I'm eating and how it effects my weight loss, so that I can strike a good balance. BUT with that said, I don't think I was eating enough....SO i have put the scale away in the closet and am not bringing it back out for awhile. Given i ended up in the hospital two days ago....I'm stopping with the "how much am I losing' and going with "how do I feel." Just putting it out there :) I eat things that make me feel good and I don't eat things that make me feel crappy...ie everything that I used to like that is all fatty and rich (which no longer tastes as good.) Maybe this isn't exactly what the doc said, but it makes me feel healthy and able to function.

That's good. A lot of the reason some of us ended up at the point that we needed this surgery, is that we DON'T listen to our body. We rely on external cues and ideas. It's like walking blind. We're forced to then listen to what our body is saying. That can't be a bad thing.

Congrats to you! I wish I could do the same thing but I just can't. I have tried many times but I have to weigh everyday. I don't get too upset if there is a small gain or anything but I do get excited for all the losses. I will keep weighing myself until I am at goal then I will try to cut back. I would love to spend everyday not worrying about my weight but I'm just not that kind of person. IT's so hard! So I can really see how hard this will be for you and how awesome it is that you are doing it. Good Luck!!

great idea guys! i'm putting my scale away too and will try to only weigh once a month. i've become overly obsessive with the scale and my counselor thinks it's time to put the scale on the back burner. good luck and i know we can do it! :D

ncs-great idea about putting the scale away. but not weighting yoursef for a month.....hmmm i think i would go crazy!! i am really doing well about weighing once a week. I see some people weigh themselves daily, hourly, etc. not meaning to laugh but :D oh well different strokes for different folks. :)

best to us all

kathy

Great idea Joiebean! I put my scale in the laundry room so I only weigh myself about once a week when I do laundry. I SO totally agree with going by how you feel instead of looking at the numbers. Lately I have been oober-stressing over calories instead of the more important things like Protein and fluids. I'm just going to eat right and let my body tell me what I need to do rather than count myself to death by calories and pounds.

Congratulations...............I think that the scale can be a lot of people's worst emeny. It is like you get on and if you do not lose or gain a half a pound then you get all depressed and feel like eating......sound familiar to anyone. I know that I was a mood eater....happy, sad, depressed....it did not make any difference as food was my comfort. I know that just after surgery I was weighing everyday and this would happen. I finally started to weight only once a week and now that I am 2 months out I am only weighing about every 2 weeks and since my weight continues to drop that is all I need to know. I think that those who depend on the scale too much may be setting themselves up for failure. I do agree that you should go by how your body feels and not what the scale says.

thanks everyone! So far, so good. And i am going away for work tomorrow until thursday, where they DON"T have a scale...so that will be helpful!! i called ahead to make sure my hotel would put a fridge in my room and I am bringing all of the food that I know I can eat. I going with a coworker who doesn't really get my choice to have the sleeve so I'm sure we'll end up sitting at a bar somewhere for dinner. So, I'm going prepared :-) Its very empowering now (even though I know there will be some tough moments) that I can travel with work and still do what works for me. Thanks everyone for your kind works and support.

Dorrie-I totally understand what you're saying too. I finally got passed that vicious cycle of "I used to love that..it tasted so good, I just want a little bit" and then eat it and want to throw up cause I felt so sick. I was in Boston last week and had new england clam chowder and actually did throw it up.....just tooooo heavy and greasy, even though I used to love it. Now all I really WANT to eat is healthy food cause I feel good after eating it. Not just psychologically, but my body is happy. Happy belly as my aunt and I call it :) (She had the lap band so we buddied up when we find something that gives us Happy Belly we email and text each other.)

NCstatebabe-its hard but I KNOW we can do it. Maybe try to do a chore or something, or go for a walk when the desire to weigh yourself strikes. I know you can do it. There's nothing we can't accomplish.