Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Tell The Truth . . .

How may of you success storied sleevers catch yourself preening in front of the mirror now?

I came out of the shower - same shower I've been in thousands of times over the last 15 years, caught sight of myself in the full length closet door mirror and started making muscle man poses and running my hands over the FLAT tummy of mine. Yep, there is a little pucker below my tummy, a tiny little bat wing under the arms but I look better now then I did in my 20's!

Sorry, had to brag!

I look in the mirror all the time and especially after getting out of the shower......lets just say the view is not that pretty but it is much better than it was months ago.

I'm not to goal yet, but I definitely notice that I take a lot more pictures now than I ever did before... and I don't mind sharing them with others. Before, I'd hide when cameras came out. Now I'm taking pictures of myself...on purpose! What a difference a little surgery makes, hmmm? ;)

I've become a mirror-ho and there's no use denying it! =P I gaze at myself every chance I get, mirrors, windows, you name it. I wore a shirt the other day that I hadn't worn since I was in high school, and I was a Varsity swimmer and cheerleader in high school! I am 33 yrs old and I got hit on by a 21 yr old kid the other day when out with friends at a pub watching a game, and when I'm feelin' my oats, boy I strut! Picture the Saturday Night Fever strut of John Travolta, but a chick =P =P I'm making up for losing my 20's and I like it!

Love taking pictures, when I was heavier only the top portion. With the lapband I took pictures, and I just revised to the sleeve on Monday. Watch out the mirror, mirror on the wall whose the fairest of them all! LoL!

No, not so much really. I really haven't changed much from 350lbs with the vanity thing. I haven't changed my hair, nor do i wear makeup, don't shop for new clothes (use my daughters clothes that don't fit her anymore) haven't changed really. . . I am very grateful for the surgery and the incredible results (150 lbs gone) and i'm REALLY happy with all the things I can do which I couldn't do before, ie: ride horses, sit comfortably in a plane seat, cross my legs, bound up a flight of stairs without thinking I need an oxygen tank! etc. . . .I still hate picture taking though, don't do that much. One day. . .

Dear thinoneday

About pictures. Please, please take them, for your family and with your family and when you do put on a great big smile. Here is why, although my daughter had had bypass surgery she was still not camera friendly, especially once she started gaining a little back and having a problem with the ulcers she did not know she had. I told her one day that she should stop being afraid of the camera, that if (God forbid) something were to happen to her, her kids would not have any photos of her with them or doing things with the family. That was about November, she actually listened and we have some of the best photos of her with the biggest smiles ever from that day on. She died the following January. We treasure those photos, regardless of her size or what she had on or anything. Her youngest son (who was 7 when she died) loves to go through them and talk about them and his mom. So, please reconsider and stand proudly and lovingly in from of that camera and smile !

Great job on the weight loss !

Ohmygod that's terrible. I'm so sorry- and you are so right. My oldest is 8 and I can't imaging him not having any pics to remember his mama by.

If you don't mind my asking- was her passing WLS related? How are her kids handling it?

Dear thinoneday

About pictures. Please, please take them, for your family and with your family and when you do put on a great big smile. Here is why, although my daughter had had bypass surgery she was still not camera friendly, especially once she started gaining a little back and having a problem with the ulcers she did not know she had. I told her one day that she should stop being afraid of the camera, that if (God forbid) something were to happen to her, her kids would not have any photos of her with them or doing things with the family. That was about November, she actually listened and we have some of the best photos of her with the biggest smiles ever from that day on. She died the following January. We treasure those photos, regardless of her size or what she had on or anything. Her youngest son (who was 7 when she died) loves to go through them and talk about them and his mom. So, please reconsider and stand proudly and lovingly in from of that camera and smile !

Great job on the weight loss !

Almost to tears, what a beautiful post. I have so many pictures of me and mine, and you are so correct.

Bedhead, well yes and no,. Because there was a portion of her stomach that was left in (as it is when you have gastric bypass) and she evidently was an acid maker, she developed an ulcer (probably more than one) She did not go back to her surgeon. We had been wondering about why the boys said she was sleeping so much during the day, it was because she was anemic because the ulcer was bleeding. All of her pain symtoms were mimicing gall bladder disease. So, after several trips to the ER they took it out. Long story short, she came home on a Thursday after surgery and died that Saturday when the ulcer perforated. It is my opinion that this was a needless death. She should have gone back to her surgeon who should have recognized the symptoms, she should have listened to her body about how sick she was (but she hated sickness and tried to ignore it) We saw a change in her appearance, hair, skin tone, etc but could not get her to go. The physician who did the gall bladder surgery also does bariatric surgery so he should have recognized the possibility instead of just doing the surgery without any additional workup. That is one reason that my husband and I (who have both had sleeve surgery, no stomach left in) went to a surgeon who does nothing but bariatric surgery. Anyway, bad things happen all of the time for all sorts of reasons to all types of people. As for her boys, it has been almost four years and they are doing really well. The youngest does have some issues, but did before she died (he is a little bit on the spectrum and a little ocd) They have the most amazing step mother who lost her Mother the year before our daughter died so she understands that type of loss. We feel very blessed that our son in law had the wisdom to marry such a wonderful person.

cscake, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. What a tragedy for a family to bear. Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

Oh my, I just came back from the doctor this past monday and have developed Iron deficency, which shouldn't be cause I had a hysterectomy years ago and at my last blood donation (2 months ago) didn't have low Iron, and severe malabsorption of Vit D, B12, Calcium, potassium, and sodium as well. The doctor is worried about possible ulcers as well and started me on RX Nexium as well. . .I have another appt within the next month to follow up on the blood work and such. . .ugh

So glad you went back. If this doctor is not your surgery you might want to touch base with the surgeon also. Right after my surgery I started on nexium twice each day. Our family, on my side, has a history of ulcers so it was to be really carefull.

Thanks also for your comments. We are all fine. We have been blessed over and over since then and our daughter is just fine now, she is in Heaven.

Oh yes, the doctor is the surgeon who did my WLS. It was all in the package deal that I got consistent care as long as needed, no extra charge. And this includes any complications related to the surgery. . . thank goodness so far it's only been malabsorption. . . So this being my 3rd year, I go faithfully as he askes.

Your daughter is looking down at ya'll and she is smiling those big happy smiles over and over again! Bless you all and I'll keep you in our prayers! :)

It makes me so sad to hear about a tragic loss of a mother. It's one of those difficult things to experience. Even worst when it's a daughter! So sorry for your loss. I have always hated taking pics of myself. After hearing these stories, I think it's time to start taking some pics! I am definitely rocking my sleeve these days! :rolleyes:

Bedhead' date=' well yes and no,. Because there was a portion of her stomach that was left in (as it is when you have gastric bypass) and she evidently was an acid maker, she developed an ulcer (probably more than one) She did not go back to her surgeon. We had been wondering about why the boys said she was sleeping so much during the day, it was because she was anemic because the ulcer was bleeding. All of her pain symtoms were mimicing gall bladder disease. So, after several trips to the ER they took it out. Long story short, she came home on a Thursday after surgery and died that Saturday when the ulcer perforated. It is my opinion that this was a needless death. She should have gone back to her surgeon who should have recognized the symptoms, she should have listened to her body about how sick she was (but she hated sickness and tried to ignore it) We saw a change in her appearance, hair, skin tone, etc but could not get her to go. The physician who did the gall bladder surgery also does bariatric surgery so he should have recognized the possibility instead of just doing the surgery without any additional workup. That is one reason that my husband and I (who have both had sleeve surgery, no stomach left in) went to a surgeon who does nothing but bariatric surgery. Anyway, bad things happen all of the time for all sorts of reasons to all types of people. As for her boys, it has been almost four years and they are doing really well. The youngest does have some issues, but did before she died (he is a little bit on the spectrum and a little ocd) They have the most amazing step mother who lost her Mother the year before our daughter died so she understands that type of loss. We feel very blessed that our son in law had the wisdom to marry such a wonderful person. [/sub']

I am so deeply sadden and sorry to read your story!