Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who've Hovered Around The Same Weight (Stall)

I have read that many people have stalled at a weight that they previously maintained for a long period of time. Is that scientifically proven with data or just a hunch that your body is stalling because it's comfortable there?

I have hovered between the same 2 lbs for 10 days now. I didn't freak out last week when I didn't lose anything because it was my TOM. But this week, it's the same thing. I'm 6 weeks out and down 42 lbs, which is fantastic. But I am ready to see the scale move again! I was around this weight (give or take 5-7 lbs) from around fall of 2009 until June of 2011.

This could be just a regular stall or maybe my body is just comfortable here? For those that this happened to, did you do anything to start losing again? How long did it take? I wanted to hit 50 lbs by my 2 month which will be March 10. Any encouraging words or stories are appreciated.

The "freak out" is beginning.... :wacko:

I had surgery 3 days after you and I am in a stall also. I think it is just the body adjusting to all the weightloss. I had a stall at 3 weeks like everybody else and then I loss a bunch after that and now again at 6 weeks I am in a stall. I think it's normal.

Just keep doing what your doing and Im sure your body will start its downward trend soon. I have been in the same 2-3 pound range for over 4 weeks... I don't have much to lose... so I'm just hanging in there till it moves again. Stalls are normal. If you need to drink more Water, or exercise, make sure you do it. Fresh veggies are good, watch the salt, and mix it up by adding calories for a day then going back to your regular calorie range. Don't feel disappointed, you are doing great!

Thanks for the replies! I may try increasing calories some. I'm averaging between 600-700 daily. UGH. It's so frustrating. I'm scared of carbs but tired of just eating meat, cheese, and Beans.< /p>

Stop watching the scale! It is going to drive you crazy! The weight will come off with no problems. Relax and enjoy the ride. Keep your diet with Protein, veggies, and starch. ;)

I swear it happens. I got stuck for six weeks in the 190s (a weight I'd maintained for years previously) and the 160s (a point I'd never been able to get past, even as a teen) but if you hang in there and keep pushing you will get past those rough spots.

It's hard not to freak out but you can get through it.

And my opinion? STOP being scared of carbs! You'll be on a diet forever if you don't learn to incorporate them slowly. It's healthy to eat a variety of foods and learning to overcome your food demons now will help you be successful in the long term. I was much happier and healthier (inside and out) when I stopped being a carb Nazi and started eating a more normal diet. It satisfied my body and my mind...and I still got to goal. Now that I'm here the food demons are vanquished and I feel like a normal person, something I never thought was possible before.

Hang in there. You'll get over this hump eventually.

~Cheri

Around the 3 month mark, my body got into a routine. I generally only lost weight once a month (generally the week after my period). I found that the less frazzled I got over it, the more I lost. Just keep doing what your doing. It'll work itself out!

Just keep doing what your doing and Im sure your body will start its downward trend soon. I have been in the same 2-3 pound range for over 4 weeks... I don't have much to lose... so I'm just hanging in there till it moves again. Stalls are normal. If you need to drink more water' date=' or exercise, make sure you do it. Fresh veggies are good, watch the salt, and mix it up by adding calories for a day then going back to your regular calorie range. Don't feel disappointed, you are doing great![/quote']

So frustrating I am 3 months and the past 9 days 3 pds down 2 up aughhhh :wacko:

Thanks Dorrie and Cheri! It's hard for me not to weigh daily. I weighed daily even before surgery so it's a regular habit. As many have stated, I don't want to be the one that this doesn't work for.

Cheri, the carb advice is helpful. I am not allowed any soft bread or pastas at this stage. I have had crackers here and there. My only other carbs come from yogurt, applesauce, or no sugar added peaches from time to time. Some days I don't have any of these things.

It's reassuring to hear from those who are at goal and close to it. I ONLY have 157 more lbs to go. :rolleyes: But I'll get there!!

Around the 3 month mark' date=' my body got into a routine. I generally only lost weight once a month (generally the week after my period). I found that the less frazzled I got over it, the more I lost. Just keep doing what your doing. It'll work itself out![/quote']

this has always happened to me on diets and wheni lose weight for some reason

I have found my weight does stabilise each time I meet a new milestone. I am now lighter than I have been in well over 12 years and I think my body needs some time to adjust and realise it is OK. BUt hopefully it will move soon, I still have far to go.

Great advice, Cheri! I have been adding some healthy carbs back in and feel so much better. As for stalls.. Mine come every 3 to 4 lbs. Hate them, but try to just keep going in the right direction. I have read enough to know they are totally normal.