Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Easy Recovery, Are Complications On The Way ?

I was sleeved on Jan 24th 2012, Weighed 200, 30 yrs old. I'm wondering about post op long term ease or effects/troubles. I know we all recover differently - But I seem to be having a very EASY RECOVERY. I Was walking right after surgery, didnt take pain meds until bedtime & that was to put me to sleep not so much for pain. I do understand that I am still in the begining & have not tried very hevy & dense foods yet, but it's almost as though I have not had surgery. I dont get hungry (that's only happened 3x's) I do have a fair amount of reflux, I sleep with 6 pillows propping me up (Doctor upped my dose of protonix 1 in AM & 1 in PM) I have strength & energy. From day one - I can consume 40 oz of liquids (Water, Isopure, & Powerade) Two weeks out - I can have a full snack size pudding without any trouble, a full packet of cream of wheat etc. I have lost 15 pounds already !

My biggest troubles have been -

Reflux

No bath, shower only

Belly button hurt pretty bad for a while

Didnt use the bathroom till day 14 - But wasnt in pain because of that

I got really hungry, 3x's !!!!! Thats it

As you can see these are not really troubles - I'm so Thankful

On the other hand - I read complete HORROR stories about this surg. One of my closest friends is going thru it now. She is 6 months post op, went in to hospital last week with fever, has a small leak, stint didnt work, she has pneumonia, a drain, a pic line. Now is on feeding tube and had another surg this AM to make a second passage to her small intestine because of the pressure inside of her new sleeve ????? I dont understand any of that, all I know is - Anything is possible. I am now scared to death for my recovery & my friends. I understood the risk prior to surgery, but now wondering.....

Is it really possible to have this easy of a recovery or am I about to get slammed with loads of complications ?

Did any of you have it this easy, I really need to know.

Congrats! You are having an easy recovery. Just follow the rules for the sleeve and never over eat your sleeve. People do get leaks later on but alot don't. Just because your having an easy recovery, does not mean your going to have difficulties later on. Your friend is 6 months out and just got a leak? I'm hoping she has a speedy recovery and starts feeling better soon. You are doing great and just keep focusing on healing. You will be fine. Don't worry about anything negative happening. Embrace your new journey, BTW it sounds like you are embracing it. Your friend will heal. Sending healing energy your way! ;)

Congrats! You are having an easy recovery. Just follow the rules for the sleeve and never over eat your sleeve. People do get leaks later on but alot don't. Just because your having an easy recovery, does not mean your going to have difficulties later on. Your friend is 6 months out and just got a leak? I'm hoping she has a speedy recovery and starts feeling better soon. You are doing great and just keep focusing on healing. You will be fine. Don't worry about anything negative happening. Embrace your new journey, BTW it sounds like you are embracing it. Your friend will heal. Sending healing energy your way! :wink1:

Thank you for the encouragement. Yes she is 6 months out (pretty scary huh) Doc said it had to have been from thebegining but becase it is so small, it didnt catch up with her until now.

was your friends weight before her wls more than your?

she is 30 yrs old, 5'3" and weighed 198

I meant she weighed 198 at the time of her surgery. shes 5'3". 30 YRS old. she use to wear a size 14, now wears a 4 in jeans but I dont know her current weight. whats the connection between me & my friends weight, just curious ???

just askin, have not had my surgery yet, will be in late march,, i hope things so smooth like urs, its just went there are problems i just wonder if there is some form of commom factor to people with complication , just doin research for myself, No worries, just a question

I had a super easy recovery and thought I was home free, but now am suffering with horrid nausea and can barely eat/drink anything. Hopefully, the same is not true for you.

I had a super easy recovery and thought I was home free, but now am suffering with horrid nausea and can barely eat/drink anything. Hopefully, the same is not true for you.

You poor thing! When did your nausea start ? Any particular reason for it ? What has your doc said or done to fix this ??

I'm having an extremely easy recovery. I'm following all of my instructions exactly and feel that I'll be fine. I've been very proactive on my post-op care. I think its very possible to have an easy recovery and maintain an easy trip down the road.

Everyone is different and everyone will recover differently. Some people don't abide by their surgeon's instructions and don't have a problem, other people don't abide by their surgeon's instructions and they end up having horrible issues of leaks, abcesses, etc.

Every person is different.

I was sleeved Nov. 2, 2011. I asked my doctor at the 2 week check up if he was sure he did the surgery because I had an EXTREMELY easy recovery!!

I have lost 50lbs which isn't tons but good enough for me. I am hoping that if I had a great surgery experience (practically NO pain) and a fairly easy time eating and getting in what I should I won't lose much hair.!!! So far so good! I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the hair!

Some folks just have an easier time with the surgery! I was not extremely overweight, 5'8", 243 lbs. I don't know if that made a difference but I am blessed to have an easy time so far!!

Rhonda

Congrats on the easy recovery. I'm 6 months out and down 92 lbs and loving it! I too had a super easy recovery. I actually felt guilty when talking to other patients who had WLS done at the same time-pretty even split between sleeve, band and bypass. There was 6 of us in the hospital at the same time and we were all from the same doc. When we had the in-hospital exercise brief, some of them couldn't even make it to the session cause they were feeling so horrible. Some of us have kept in touch and I'm thanking my lucky stars for my recovery. One woman had the lap band and apparently the adjusting mechanism was defective so she had to have a second surgery 3 months later. I've always had a high pain tolerance so maybe that's part of the answer. Don't worry about your good fortune - enjoy it!

I was sleeved on January 11th and I have had an easy recovery. Never took the pain meds. I stopped after one dose of morphine in the reovery room. The only thing that happened to me was some subcutaneous trapped blood came out of the large incision. I just wore gauze pads for a week. At two weeks my surgeon gave me a full release and said, "Sure, go horseback riding."

There are a few horror stories out there, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop ;-)

Suprising about a leak 6 months out. I thought that's when the stomach had fully healed.

Monalisa1010. I, like you, have been having a seemingly easy recovery. Yes I have bad dry mouth and yes it hurts like <bleep> to get in & out of bed... So I just use our recliner. Much more comfortable. But I'm a lil afraid of the leak possibility too. Have somewhat felt this am like I have the flu -- body aches all over ( not just the abdominal area) and feels like a low grade temp. My brother went out to get me a working thermometer so I can chk it. Trying to think positive!!!!!