Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction & Amount Of Food Tolerated

I am just shy of 4 weeks out. I've only been on soft foods for 4 days, but am having some difficulty. So far, everything I've tried goes down with no problem. But I literally ONLY can eat 4 or 5 SMALL bites before I begin hiccuping and feeling like food may come back up in my throat. The bites are very small and I chew well over a minute before swallowing.

Was this normal in the beginning for everyone? Does it get better further out? Do I have an extra small sleeve? I was told on my 3 week post op that a 36 French bougie was used for me.

It's not that I have a desire to overeat or anything. But I am concerned that I will not be able to get in the amount of calories I am expected to eat. Within this 3 month stage, I was told that I should be working towards 900 calories per day! WHAT?! HOW?! I doubt I've gotten in 300 calories per day since I started eating. I've read that some of you eat over 1200 per day. I just can't imagine that.

Please give me some insight for the near future. Will this get better?

Yes, this is totaly normal. I was at 4 bites for a long time. Now at 4 months I might get a couple more, but it is uncomfortable. Keep up the hard work! :0

Oh by the way, I really struggle with getting in 800 calories so I'm happy with what I can do. You are doing just fine, just eat healthy, chew, and get lotsa Fluid. This is normal. ;)

Oh by the way, I really struggle with getting in 800 calories so I'm happy with what I can do. You are doing just fine, just eat healthy, chew, and get lotsa Fluid. This is normal. ;)

WOW. Thanks for the reply. It now almost feels like eating is a chore. Like I'll have to have something in my mouth every 2 hours just to get in Protein.

Today I drank a shake this morning. I had to travel for a funeral and just had a chance to eat again. I couldn't eat most of what was available at the repast, so I had a small piece of ham, a small amount of potato salad and a couple of green Beans. I wanted to eat more but couldn't.

At first it was a chore, but now it's just life. I have learned to make better choices when eating out and to bring most of it home or give it to my husband or son. Mostly I have baby bel cheese that I put in my purse and I also carry a premier high Protein chocolate drink in my purse. I have also learned to go to some sushi restaurants and order just teriaki chicken. It's about $2 and I did eat the whole thing (cut up in tiny pieces) and I was really stuffed. I sometimes forget I have my sleeve. LOL. I am learning to look at portions in a different light now. I am just thankful to be able to eat everything that I do without any problems. Oh, sugary stuff hurts my stomach. So I do without it. ;)

You'll be able to eat more eventually. 2-3 oz of meat totally fills me up but I can eat two cups of potato chips because they chew to mush. You are still healing right now. I encourage you to change your eating habits now so that when you can eat more, you are not eating empty calories or junk, because it's easy to do.

You'll be able to eat more eventually. 2-3 oz of meat totally fills me up but I can eat two cups of potato chips because they chew to mush. You are still healing right now. I encourage you to change your eating habits now so that when you can eat more, you are not eating empty calories or junk, because it's easy to do.

Thanks. Fortunately, my team is really strict during this 3 month soft phase. I am not allowed chips or anything junk like. Nothing fried. Very low sugar, no Desserts. They push Protein, then veggies, and good carbs only. I was amazed to read about people eating chips and nachos during this phase. I am following everything to the T. Hopefully, by excluding those types of food for 4 months, I'll establish good habits. I have no choice but to eat healthy. But I can imagine it's easy to do with little restriction on those items.

I used Greek Yogurt and Protein shakes to get to my calorie and Protein goals when I was early out. I could only eat about an ounce of protein and only really soft protein like moist chicken, tuna mixed with a little light mayo, or low fat lunch meat.

This phase seems so long, but it's well worth it! I'm now enjoying small, healthy meals and never need a Protein shake unless i'm traveling. I still rely on greek yogurt most days. At 130 calories and 23 grams of protein per cup, it's perfect for me at Breakfast.

Lynda

I just replied regarding this issue in another thread... here's what I wrote:

Don't worry... it takes months to get over that part where you can only eat a few spoonfuls without feeling overly stuffed. In time your sleeve will loosen up (it is very swollen from surgery right now) and you will be able to nourish your body a little better. I still can't eat a lot but I'm more than able to fit in about 1100-1200 calories worth of healthy solid food every day. :smile1:

HTH - there is a bonus to not being able to eat much though and your scale will show it.

Yep, normal. Good for you that your team is fairly strict--you'll have good losses and a better long-term outlook! I agree with Foxbins that getting used to a new, healthy way of eating is really important. After a while, if everything goes as planned, your body will actually begin to crave that healthy food, and you won't miss the icky stuff.

Best wishes to you, and keep us posted on your successes!

This was my first full week of real food and I have been shocked at how little my stomach holds. It has been very emotional and frustrating to me for some strange reason. I totally agree about eating now being a chore. I didn't even come close to my Protein goals this week. I have decided to start supplementing with Protein shakes until I can get enough food down. :(

This is exactly what I wished for before surgery, but it is still a little difficult to adjust to mentally for some reason.

Christin, hang in there. I never, ever met my Water or Protein goals in the early stages--couldn't get enough in there! And it's all turned out okay. Do what you can and be gentle to yourself in this early phase.

I understand completely about the mental adjustment--and it does happen, I promise. At this point, eating the amount that pre-surgery wouldn't have even made up a decent snack has become second nature. I eat 2 pieces of sushi (3 if I take off some of the rice). I eat 3 boiled shrimp. 3 shrimp!!!! I mean, that's a meal! It's just surreal to compare, but honestly, at this point, it's just what normal life is. At first, I had to really be careful to measure by volume to avoid overeating, and it's only been in the last month or so that I've relaxed a bit and been able to "eyeball" the correct volume of food--mostly I've now gotten a repertoire of things that I eat frequently and I know how much I can tolerate.

You'll learn as you go, and I promise that feeling of strangeness will disappear. I even go out to eat frequently with friends, and I feel perfectly "normal" ordering my usual appetizer-sized thing and also taking stuff home. No big deal now--at first it felt really strange. Congrats on your recent sleeve!!

I am 7 weeks out. I was the same way in the beginning. Now I can eat 2-3 ozs. of meat or drink about 8 ozs. of a Protein Drink at one time. I had about 2 ozs. of steak tonight and kept it down. My bites were barely bigger than the tines of the fork. The first time I tried I threw it all up. So I went back a step for 2 weeks. At about week 1 1/2 to 3 weeks I went through a stage where I was hungry all the time. I was on Prevacid and it wasn't head hunger or cravings. Then I went through a stage of needing more than pureeded foods but my sleeve wasn't ready. That was harder than the constant hunger. Finally this week I can eat more than pureed or soft foods. It does get better and the adjustments will drive you crazy! You just have to work through it. Good luck!

Sometimes I feel like I can eat A LOT!!! But when I measure and log, it's only about 800-1000 calories.. I think I'm developing a complex about eating... if I didn't have to, I probably wouldn't!!! SMH... this journey is crazy emotional, but it gets better!!!

Absolutely normal. You'll be able to get in more food in due course. However, my advice to you is to take it easy with what you can get into your stomach. If you cant then you cant, dont force food down.

You will feel better after 3 months i promise you :)