Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

Arlington Support Group meeting place has changed. Instead of Little Italy, we will be temporarily in pizza Factory the third Thursday (tomorrow) from 6-7:30. Hopefully by Oct we will have our own conference room in the Pharmacy. Hope to see you pre and post people there.

I am from San Juan Island and had my lap band installed July 17. I know the NW Weight Surgery Center does fills. They are right off interstate 5 in Everett. One a month they do fills in Bellingham. there number is

866-350-2263. I will get free fills for 13 months and then they will cost $150.

I was released the same day as my opertion. I could have been in overnight but did not wish to do so. The biggest problem following the surgery was the gas pains that is the result of the gas they fill your stomach with during the operation. Otherwise I had no side affects and I am doing fine. These pains vary from person to person but mine lasted about 2 weeks, longer than most people.

Good luck with your operation

Its interesting to read your post.

http://azlapband.com/_wsn/page8.html

Can I ask how much you are going to pay for aftercare? How much are you going to pay if you need your band removed? If you have a slip?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi - Yes, I am also interested in Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey. This is all so scary but I'm tired of having lived 1/2 of my life being obese and the horrible feelings and societal discrimination that goes along with it.

Unfortunately, I have read postings from people who have done Mexico bandings and they come home and their aftercare doc decided they weren't going to be dealing with foreign banded patients anymore or raising their prices constantly. Oh well.

The prices locally are outlandish and there is no excuse, considering its an hour. I had Lipo and a breast lift done before, and for both it was only $6500. Thanks for the info and good luck in your upcoming banding.

Leslie

Hello, Papaya! I'm pleased to see another Islander here. I think I will be the fifth or sixth (that I know of) when I get my band in December. I've joked with another Lap Bandit that before you know it, we're going to need our own weekly meeting at the Legion. :>

I am back from my surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexicalli. I could not have asked for anything better. Top notch care. First class hospital. Great staff. What a wonderful experience!!

Hello Bigmons23! I also had surgery from Dr. Aceves, banded on 10/06/06. I think we might have crossed paths in the hospital parking lot on that day as you were leaving! Also agree that the facility and Dr. was first class. Am doing really well with the exception of the port incision. Quite a bit of leakage, so hasn't healed well. Am calling Dr. this morning. I am from Stanwood, Washington. So happy to hear about the support group in Arlington and the Fill center at Arlington Pharmacy---never dreamed it was there!:)

The fill center I go to just published an information site. www.northwestfills.com. You'll see my own glowing testimonial on there! If anyone needs more info about getting fills locally without paying a fortune or driving 3 hours, check it out.

Hi all! :wave:

I'm a bit shy and just have been lurking and reading for a while. I've got all the consultation appointments at NWWLS in Everett in early December, and I'm a bit nervous right now - I want my skinny petite stupidly strong-willed mom's support, even though I'm 32... so I'm going to talk to her tomorrow and tell her I plan to get a lap band. Yikes!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to "win" her over (she worries too darn much), let me know!

Also, I've heard a lot of positive things about NWWLS, has anyone had any problems with them? Unless there's something super big that no one's fessed up to already (which is unlikely) I doubt I'd change my mind, I just want to be fully informed.

Also, do people have a choice as to have the surgery at their clinic vs. the hospital?

Annie

I'm so happy for you that you are considering lap band surgery. It is a big step, so take your time and get to feel comfortable with it. For me, banded 10/06/06 by Dr. Aceves in Mexico, it has been a wonderful experience. Very positive. I did if for my health, and I did it for ME! I have lost 35# now, and just feel great. I think your Mom will be supportive once she understands more about the procedure and what super results are possible. It really works well. It would be perfect if she could go to the seminar with you in Everett. It is so informative and gives you a lot of encouragement. My daughter-in-law had her surgery there and she has only good things to say about them. Feel free to contact me with any questions, anytime. And good luck. Like others say, "this is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself".

I had my surgery a little over a year ago at NWWLS and had a great experience...no problems what-so-ever. I've gone from a start weight of 340 to my current weight which is 253. I've had nine fills and I feel I'm finally just where I need to be. I'm losing slowly which is exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be more pleased with my experioence with NWWLS as they are the best (in my estimation)...I have absolutely no complaints.

Follow the rules and you do fine. There's certain things I can't eat so I just stay away from them. For the most part, I can eat most anything with the exception of bread or doughy stuff. I don't eat most white foods (rice, flour, potatoes, noodles, etc.) and really don't miss them that much.

I'm glad I actually now have a stomach gauge that tells me I'm full and I'd better stop eating (or eating too fast) or I'll be sorry. There are consequences (pain/PB'ing) which are real deterrants for me.

I love my band! Did I tell you, I just love my band?!

pam

I had my surgery in September 05 from Dr Watkins at NWWLS. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are wonderful, great support online and group. Great staff, edcation, alwasy avaliable for questions.

I was to tight a few months ago, and had a barium right at the office, things were taken care of very fast.

I started at 347 and im 273 now. I was a size 28 and im sitting in a size 16today.

My mom was very nervous, but she was with me 100% and has only been the best support. Your mom will be worried, but have her go with you to support and meetings.

Best of luck, you will be very happy wishing you did it earlier

Vicky

Hi all! :wave:

I'm a bit shy and just have been lurking and reading for a while. I've got all the consultation appointments at NWWLS in Everett in early December, and I'm a bit nervous right now - I want my skinny petite stupidly strong-willed mom's support, even though I'm 32... so I'm going to talk to her tomorrow and tell her I plan to get a lap band. Yikes!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to "win" her over (she worries too darn much), let me know!

Also, I've heard a lot of positive things about NWWLS, has anyone had any problems with them? Unless there's something super big that no one's fessed up to already (which is unlikely) I doubt I'd change my mind, I just want to be fully informed.

Also, do people have a choice as to have the surgery at their clinic vs. the hospital?

Annie

Thanks guys! It's great to hear of such success! :) I'm impressed with your weight loss, keep it up! I pretty much know the right things to do and look at the band as a tool to keep me on track... I'm certainly nervous but excited at the same time! Thank you!!!!!!!

My dad was the one I was looking for the approval from.

I didn't get it.

He was confused.

He had the "gastric bypass" and the LapBand confused. He thought there was high risk of complications and just kept telling me " just eat those 4 oz without the surgery"

Right!!! This is a man who has never had a weight issue in his life.

I realized that with or without his approval I was going to do what was best for me, my health. And I did.

He still doesn't understand. (I was banded August 16, 2006.) But even though I want him to, I realize that isn't what matters.

Do what you know is right. If your mom doesn't say "go for it" and you need someone to - then talk to someone else you are close to!!

My dad was the one I was looking for the approval from.

I didn't get it.

He was confused.

He had the "gastric bypass" and the LapBand confused. He thought there was high risk of complications and just kept telling me " just eat those 4 oz without the surgery"

Right!!! This is a man who has never had a weight issue in his life.

I realized that with or without his approval I was going to do what was best for me, my health. And I did.

He still doesn't understand. (I was banded August 16, 2006.) But even though I want him to, I realize that isn't what matters.

Do what you know is right. If your mom doesn't say "go for it" and you need someone to - then talk to someone else you are close to!!

Yeah, if it was that easy none of us would be talking on this forum! :hungry:

Luckily, my sister has already said she'll take me in to be banded, and knows my mom can be a bit panicky, so I'll certainly have great support. I'm so lucky there!

Was there anything that you said to your dad that was particularly good and he responded well to vs. something that he responded poorly to?

He mailed me an article (my dad) on the huge harmful side effects of weight loss surgery - but he didn't notice that the stats all came from gastric bypass surgery.

When I talked to his wife (who is an RN) she said, "don't listen to him, he can eat a whole pie every night and never notice. "

She also said that many of the nurses at the hospital where she worked had had lap-band surgery and almost all of them had good results from it.

My dad came to visit recently and was clearly watching how much I ate at the resturaunt. All I can say is "you can't win them all".