Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want Your Thoughts On A Very Modest Goal Weight.....

I want to hear what other people think about goals regarding whether or not to set a goal of say, 135lbs for a girl of 5’4’’ or would I be better suited sticking with my modest goal of 165ish.

Here are my thoughts:

165 will be much easier to maintain and I will have less risk of regain

165 will help the skin look less saggy.

165 is still slightly chubby- but I would still feel great about myself physically. Heck, I feel great at 183!

If I am perfectly healthy—no high blood pressure, diabetes, etc at 165 is there any reason to not stop there besides the BMI scale saying I am still “overweight”

I would rather be a bit thicker and have no saggy skin then be tiny and have saggy skin…..

Thoughts please!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Dr. Obrien at Kaiser Fremont Bariatric Center shared an article with me at my six month appt. It had a chart showing the health benefits of exercise. Basically, once you hit overweight BMI, there is a very small health difference between that and reaching normal BMI if you are exercising. And those at normal BMI who do not exercise are actually less healthy than those at overweight BMI with a regular exercise routine. Sorry I didn't get a copy of the article. I have tried searching for it on the web, but I've been unable to find it. I will try to get a copy at my next appt.

It was very enlightening and let me know that I'm basically in the vanity phase now as I try to get to a lower BMI.

I am chosing a lower BMI goal for several reasons:

- Vanity. I was a low BMI when I was younger and I prefer that look.

- Health: I have blood pressure and joint issues and I'm hoping being at a lower BMI will mean less meds for me.

-Regain: I'm scared of regain, and if I regain from a lower BMI, I will wind up at a smaller size. Who knows how that will work out, but it IS in the back of my mind.

Also, when considering a final weight, I think it's important to consider your original weight and how long you carried that weight. I have read that bones get heavier under the stress of carrying more weight for a long period of time. Heavier bones can affect that way a certain weight looks on you. And if you are bigger to start with, there will be more excess skin and deflated fat cells unless it is surgically removed. Those cells and skin weigh something too.

Lynda

@Sleeve, this is a very personal decision. If you feel fine at 165 Lbs then who am I to tell you otherwise? As long as you are happy and healthy, then I say go for it. The good thing about having a higher weight goal is, it will be easier to get there. If it's too low you run the risk of never making it and thus making you feel a failure... when any of us who are sleeved are anything but!!

Another consideration is, if you hit 165 and feel you want to lose a little more then you can. :) All the best!!

@Lynda, I hope you can find that article, I'd love to see it!! Great response too, whoott!!

I think 135 is a perfect goal weight for your height. I'm 5'4" and I lost 100lbs in the past and my weight was between 128-135 and I must say I looked darn good at that weight and was very active. Right now I have a goal weight of 140 but if I can get to 135 I would not mind at all.

I am 5ft nothing.... My original goal from the bariactric center was 127, normal is 119-127 for my height, but because of my age, they chose the higher number. NOW, at my 2 week f/u, they put me on this scale that determined how much muscle mass you carry. Guess what????? They changed my goal weight to 141 based on my internal make-up They said I had the most muscle mass ever documented for a woman my age at their facility. I have worked out on and off most of my life and am a very muscular gal, so they determined I probably always will be. I have been at a 24.5 BMI before and still weighed 162, which is obese, but with calculated measurements and bone/muscle masses, I was not obese. So there is so much to consider when making that decision. I have not been under 160lbs in 25 years, so 141 would be thin for me, but doable. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

My vote is go with what feels best to you! Like LMD says, if you get there an think a little less would feel good to go for it!

You did this surgery for you.

Try to make your goal based on your health, not on a number. I know we all have to have that 'number' we strive to see on the scale. But, you did this to get healthy and have a longer, fuller life. Whatever 'number' you reach, you will have gained healthy lifestyle habits that will carry you into having a fuller life overall. Don't get caught up on the numbers.

It is whatever you will be happy at. I am 5'3" and my goal is 120 lbs. I have a small frame, and I think that will be a good weight for me. However, I am not adverse to stopping wherever I feel happy.

Sleeve of Steel, I think you already look great, so whatever weight you choose will be perfect for you. BUT, may I suggest that maybe you're short-selling yourself? I know you can reach a lower weight/BMI than your stated goal. I know that because YOU are one of the most determined, self-aware sleevers on this board. Are you setting the goal weight that high because you're afraid you won't make the other goal or is it REALLY that you think you'll look better there?

I understand the reasons you've given, but I think that you can get all the way to 135/140 and that you might find the lower number a better one when you get there. I haven't seen a full body picture of you, and I'm not asking for one. But, you will have to determine how you want to look and feel when you reach 165. Maybe then you'll decide you do want to continue; maybe you won't.

I think the reason this struck a cord with me is that I just readjusted my goal weight upwards 20 pounds and I've been asking myself a lot of the same questions. I moved mine based on my doctor's advice, but I'm still wondering if I can't actually go lower.

And, the same is true for you. You can always go lower than 165 when you get there if it's not really where you want to be.

Good luck either way!! :)

I have rewritten this post a ton of times because I am 5'4" as well and picking 145 pounds as a goal was hard for me. I kept changing my mind because I have only been 150 pounds once in my adult life (for about 5 minutes). However I fear the "normal regain" that many talk about, so I feel I need to account for that.

So what I decided to do was to pick a number at the top of my range, research the potential of a regain at a later date and finalize my decision when I am MUCH closer. Hope this helps.

Did you have a body analysis. I had one during the pre-op period. I was shocked and dismayed to find my lean weight based on musce mass was 155, I am 5'4. I rather have the higher BMI and more muscle mass to help bur the calories!

weight.png

Sleeve of Steel, I think you already look great, so whatever weight you choose will be perfect for you. BUT, may I suggest that maybe you're short-selling yourself? I know you can reach a lower weight/BMI than your stated goal. I know that because YOU are one of the most determined, self-aware sleevers on this board. Are you setting the goal weight that high because you're afraid you won't make the other goal or is it REALLY that you think you'll look better there?

I understand the reasons you've given, but I think that you can get all the way to 135/140 and that you might find the lower number a better one when you get there. I haven't seen a full body picture of you, and I'm not asking for one. But, you will have to determine how you want to look and feel when you reach 165. Maybe then you'll decide you do want to continue; maybe you won't.

I think the reason this struck a cord with me is that I just readjusted my goal weight upwards 20 pounds and I've been asking myself a lot of the same questions. I moved mine based on my doctor's advice, but I'm still wondering if I can't actually go lower.

And, the same is true for you. You can always go lower than 165 when you get there if it's not really where you want to be.

Good luck either way!! :)

Thank you Lissa! And everyone!!!

I am struggling with this same question right now. I chose my "goal weight" pretty randomly. I did it knowing it was 5 pounds LESS than what I had weighed in high school, which was a time when I was very active and healthy and not overweight.

As I get closer to my goal weight, I am starting to wonder if I truly want to weigh less than I did in high school. It was also when I started crunching the numbers. I realized that I will be within a normal BMI range at 162. It makes me think that 150 or 155 would be a better goal for me.

Even then, I am thinking 155 because that is the "100" pounds lost goal.

I want wiggle room in case I gain later.

For me at 5'7.5," I would weigh 185 to be equivalent to your 5'4" and 165. Personally, I want to lose beyond that. I really want to get in the normal range.

My loss has slowed down. I do exercise regularly, but I know I could step it up.

I think it is important to constantly evaluate where you are and what you want to be. I completely understand what you mean about rather be chubby than loose skin. I want to be healthy and look healthy.

Whatever decision you make, I know it will be one that you thought hard about and that means it will be the right decision for you.

I feel like the sleeve goes where it wants to go and you have to do the rest.

I am waiting to see where I stop. I feel ok with the food choices I am making now for the long run. I have a few more months until my year, and I have not worked out at all. I feel a little more hunger taking over at times so I have some good Snacks I can reach for. I want to be 165 at 5'10" so I think you could go lower, but I am certain we both will have to hit the gym like we want to win biggest loser in order to be on the skinny side...but then again who really knows. Some people got very thin without working out at all. Personally I say don't have a goal. I don't anymore. I could get to 150 or 170 or stop tomorrow. My goal will come once I have reached the end of what the sleeve can do for on its own.