Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

200+ Miles Powerwalking - Down 131 Lbs

A little background. Started out at 366 lbs at 6' at age 61. Lapband was my choice at that time and had LP surgery in July 2009. Did pretty well although the larger lapband that was used was a 15 cc and we never could get it tight enough to give me restriction. Lost 83 lbs. Had left hip surgery in May 2010. Rehab from that was to start a walking routine. Gained back about 35 lbs thru July 2011. Lapband just wasn't working as it never was tight enough to restrict my intake. Scheduled VGS conversion for mid-Aug. 2011 and surgeon wanted me to lose as much of the 35 that I gained before surgery. I had seriously begun Power Walking to lose the weight. 3-6 miles per day at about a 16 min/mile avg. Morning of surgery at clinic I got on the scale and had lost it all. VGS surgery went really smoothly and my recovery had started. 2.5 weeks Post-Op I participated in an 8k/5mi Run/Walk with my walking buddy Jolly and finished it in a personal record avg/mi time. 15:16 min/mile. Hoooray!!! Have kept up my walking routine thru the Fall along with rigorous hunting actvities.

Here's the WOW moment. Since July 17th 2011 I have now covered 208 miles. I use a GPS program on my smartphone to track and monitor my activities.(RunKeeper). My avg times have continued to drop and now I am walking at about 14 min miles and have actually done a couple of walks at under 14 mi/mile.

I feel so good and healthy right now. All my health indicators are fantastic. Weight has dropped to 235 for a total loss of 131. Blood workup has me in the normal range of everything. BP is actually a bit low now and they are taking me off my BP meds.

I couldn't feel better. I still have 35 lbs to go but with my walking and exercise routine I am sure I can attain that goal also. I plan on participating in a half dozen or more Run/Walk event this summer. I just wanted to let all of you know that it can be done and you can get an exercise routine to work for you. Start small and slow and it will naturally increase with time and weight loss. Good luck in your journey.

Hey PaPa :rolleyes:

How's it going today. You have been leading such a wonderful life, how great is that?

I guess whatever exercise you enjoy, thats the one to do. Power walking is great. My sister loves that too, PW is just not for me. I'll leave that up to you and my sister.

I'm about 6 weeks out from my journey and 58 years young. The fact that you started at 61, makes me have more hope too. I'll keep running after you - who knows maybe i'll catch up. :smile1:

I hope you feel proud and accomplished as you should - you have done amazing. This is no small feat.

Congrats on your weight loss - :welldone2:

Take care

Continued happy life :thumb:

kathy

PapaBob.

I love reading your story... you are such an inspiration! ANd I love the fact that you and your beautiful dog are continue to rake up the miles... good for you! Best of luck with the next 36lb and your next mile(s)! =]

I adore your posts!! You are such an inspiration!!

Thanks for all the nice comments and encouragement. BUT. . all is not good news all the time. . LOL. Even with all the great exercise I have been in a STALL for 3+ weeks. This has to stop. So Jolly and I put on our Big boy pants and went for a long walk yesterday and doing the 5 day pouch meal program.

We walked for a personal best 10.2 miles. . HOLY CRAP my feet were on fire when I got done. Jolly and I set a personal best of 14:17 min/mi. average. We were really covering some ground. Great day for walking. . Cool, light mist, and clear pavement. Put frozen veggie bags on my knees when I got home to keep the swelling down as they were a bit tight. BUT. . feeling pretty good this morning. Having coffee and Protein shake for Breakfast. Snowed last night so our walking will be limited today. Not going to get on scale for 5 days. . But will post results of progress then.

WOW!!! The scale is moving . . . 6 lbs in 4 days. Did the full Protein Shakes for 2 days, Soup for a day with shake in the am, and then bumped it up to some fish and chicken along with the morning shake. Also, pushed the exercise . . . power walked 3.25 miles today with an average pace of 12:50 min./mile. My Best Time ever. .

WOW!!! The scale is moving . . . 6 lbs in 4 days. Did the full Protein shakes for 2 days, Soup for a day with shake in the am, and then bumped it up to some fish and chicken along with the morning shake. Also, pushed the exercise . . . power walked 3.25 miles today with an average pace of 12:50 min./mile. My Best Time ever. .

WOW!!! Congrats Papa Bob!!! You totally ROCK!! :) Keep checking in and inspiring me to keep up with my running too.

Hi there Diva,

Just an update . . . just passed another milestone goal in my power/fitness walking. Just topped the 250 mile mark since July 17th, 2011. My speed in the beginning was in the 17-18 min/mile range and now I have been breaking into the 12 min/mile range with my best being a 5 miler just a couple days ago averaging 12:17. My best time so far. My weight loss continues to go down but not as fast as I would like to see. Must be building up a bunch of muscle in my buttocks and things while the fat cells keep pealing off. I don't have much more to lose as my upper body, legs, and buttocks has never been my problem. Stored all my extra weight in the stomach area. That is almost all gone with just a lot of extra skin to deal with. Going in for my 6 month post op checkup in a few weeks and will be talking to Dr. about options for Tummy Tuck and skin removal. Maybe an estimate as to weight I will lose with that will give me a new goal weight to obain prior to surgery. We shall see.

02072012_ProfileMedium.jpg

That's amazing :)

Great Job!

Well folks I have just rolled over the 280 mile marker with my power walking. I attended a meeting last Monday for registration in the Lansing, MI Half-Marathon. I will be walking this race so don't look for me in the top 5 finishers. But, I will be leading the pack in the walking group. There will be about 12-1500 participants so this will be a new one for me. I am so looking forward to the challenge. My training regiment must be modified to get me ready to participate.

I have walked 10,5,5, 8, 3 and 5 miles in my latest walks. My times have been on the low end 12:11 min/mile average and the highest in the 10 mile . . 14:11 min/mile average. But, basically my 5-8 mile walks have been hanging right around 13 min/mile. If I can continue to walk at this pace from now until April 21st I will feel very confident in completing the 13 mile course in approx 13 min/mile average. This would be great.

For those of you just starting out "Get Moving" . . slow and short distances at first and then increase one or the other as you get stronger and "lighter".

I am still a bit nervouse about setting such a high goal for myself but shooting "LOW" guarantees you of failure and I will not accept that. I will compete in this race and my training for the race will help me lose the last 30 lbs that needs to come off. That is my goal also. . . . lose an additional 30 lbs in two months before the race.

Here's the results of my latest 8 mile outing . .

Feb222012.jpg

Here's the route for the 13 mile race(RED) and my recent 10 mile outing((green)

HalfMarathon.jpg

I will keep you posted on my times.

Wow what an inspiration you are! I got tired just reading it. (Just kidding!) Congrats on a great story!