Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Celery A Slider?

Lucky me, I can't STAND coconut and couldn't before surgery! :) Thanks, PDXMan!

I haven't eaten celery since it got stuck and made me really sick. I agree it's not well digested.

I have eaten it chopped up very tiny/finely in chicken or tuna salads without problems.

There is a thread about bezoars which is very interesting to read if you do a search.

Oh, Rosy, I despise red and green peppers since surgery for some reason. I do eat some raw broccoli as well and it does fill me up. The celery I ate was part of a meal, chicken, celery and some BBQ Sauce as dip for the chicken for that "hot wing" substitute experience. :)

There wasn't a food I "despised" before surgery and I still haven't found one I don't like after surgery, either. Except MAYBE low fat pepperjack cheese. Hmmmm wonder if I should ask the doc for a refund ;-)

I've noticed, as you did with the celery, that some foods don't fill me up. I can eat lots of crackers and not feel full but if I eat a half cup of Pasta I'm stuffed. What's with that?

I've noticed, as you did with the celery, that some foods don't fill me up. I can eat lots of crackers and not feel full but if I eat a half cup of Pasta I'm stuffed. What's with that?

Staring at you in awe: Pasta? PASTA? I wouldn't go near the stuff if I dared. I'm down 41 lbs in 6 weeks and want to lose another 20 by end of january. PASTA???? Sigh. How far out are you?

I am almost 3 months post-op. I can eat almost everything with no problems. bread and Pasta seem to be too dense for me and give me an overly full feeling so I eat only small amounts and very rarely. I am so thankful that I don't have a "Sleevezilla".

I am almost 3 months post-op. I can eat almost everything with no problems. bread and Pasta seem to be too dense for me and give me an overly full feeling so I eat only small amounts and very rarely. I am so thankful that I don't have a "Sleevezilla".

Its good to know this. It gives me something to look forward to. When did u start eating fruits? So far, they're forbidden and the stores have sales on blue berries and straws, too. I'm drooling. I want an apple. I'm going to try the celery again dipped in humus. I had @ 3 oz meatloaf and fauxtatoes (cauliflower) for lunch and am stuffed to the gills ;-) I have some rolls in my freezer that my neice bought when she was here waiting for me to come home from the hosp. I haven't touched them. I'm so amazed that I'm eating and losing. Of course, I work out like a dervish 5 to 6 days a week. I'm scared if I miss a day, I will gain 45 lbs immediately. It just feels that way, I know its not possible.

I still think my surgeon and his dragon lady nurse are using an RnY diet with sleeved pts but am too cowardly to try eating what other folks say is permitted. At any rate, its good to know that u are able to eat celery without developing "hairballs" (which is what the word 'bezoar' brings to mind). I think our sleeves are similar. Thanks for sharing.

I have alkways avoided it as celery and coconut have a tremendous amount of tough Fiber in them that can ball up in your stomach and cause what's called a bezoar - a ball of undigetable matter trapped in the stomach.

I don't know how liekely this is, especially if the stuff is cut up fairly small but I've never wanted to take the chance.

Ok...I stand corrected. Had the chance to chase this down on google and the more famous websites do say that people who have certain compromising conditions such as DM and *anastmosed stomach* AND stomachs made smaller (EXLCLAMATION POINTS) do have a tendency to develop bezoars. And I am right: they are closely related to feline hairballs. Grump. Probably not something I should be eating at this stage. Darn. Such a nice celery heart, too. (Glad I'm not a cat).

Just be diligent in removing the strands, and I think you'll be fine. For me, the cost/benefit analysis shows it is too much work for the amount of flavor celery provides. But my celery de-stranding skills are a bit lacking.

Just be diligent in removing the strands, and I think you'll be fine. For me, the cost/benefit analysis shows it is too much work for the amount of flavor celery provides. But my celery de-stranding skills are a bit lacking.

Far as I'm aware, celery is all strands and if u start peeling them off a stalk, you'll end up in a mental hospital with a ball of strands and no stalk. In light of the other topic I posted, 'taint worth it. ;-)

But, if u are talking @ flavoring and need to lay off the salt, celery is good in Soup....

Oh, no. You can remove the strands.

But I agree, to do it well makes me crazier than it's worth.

Wow now I understand. I'm talking hearts not the outer tuff stalks. Oh! Munchy...here I come.

Thanks for showing that. It really helps. What'd u do, google "stalking celery" <grin>