Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6+ Months Out And Stalled For Last 2... Fail?

Re: Calories. It's so hard to figure out what the right calories are! Sometimes I feel like there is an excuse for everything - I'm not losing because I'm eating too much, then it flips and I'm eating too little. But it totally makes sense. I had such a hard time taking off weight before surgery that it would make sense that my body just functions with less naturally. It's such a slippery slope between eating just enough, or too much and too little.

Re: Calories as Usual Main Target. This is very true. I noticed that I get awfully liberal when I'm not food journaling. And when I do journal, I notice how a little can go a long way in the "tastes" area. I have 2 kids 5 and under, so I've had to shy away from "tastes" when I'm really trying to control those calories. And who can have one cookie?!? I'd rather not have one at all! lol

Re: Weight Limit. My doctor also talked about this weight limit thing, but I can't help but feel that it's a little BS myself. Calories are calories. Input and output are scientific - so it makes sense that if I'm inputing less than I burn on output, that I can still lose weight - even beyond this ceiling. I think the doctors are talking about average loss before the really hard work begins. Honestly, it's the really hard work that scares me - especially since I've been burned so many times before where my efforts reflect so little. But I think (and here is where I probably need to take my own advice) that this tool helps us get past the past challenges where we faced "failure" so many times before. I feel like my negative feelings are coming from the person that I used to be and sometimes I'm not giving my new tool a chance to show me that it's still working. I'm so used to immediate gratification, it troubles me when things take longer and I start to freak out, not because it won't work, but because I am used to expecting the worst from my body. Let's face it - if diet and exercise worked for me before surgery, I probably would not have had the surgery.

Re: Support Groups. I agree. I need to find one locally. My hospital provides them, but often no one shows - including the doctor or nurse who is supposed to host it. I find this forum is a great support group, but I do agree that I need to find some human contact to hash things out with.

Everyone - once again, fantastic discussions and great things to wrap my head around. Please keep commenting. Very thought provoking!