Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Had Their Surgery Done Through The Navel?

I only seen two people that had there's done via the navel. Who has done it that way? If not how many incisions do you have. Does the doctor in advance tell you he's going through the navel/open/laproscopically?

Does the doctor in advance tell you he's going through the navel/open/laproscopically?

My surgeon uses the "spider" (navel) and he explained it to me in advance and answered my questions. He also has a video about it on his website.

I wouldn't do it open! No need for that anymore.

Edited by longer-life

I know that the navel is the newest way to do the sleeve. I had mine lap, and I have six incisions, one just under the left breast and 5 around my waistline area. My doc told me it would be lap ahead of time and never mentioned doing it as an open incision.

Good luck.

My Dr. was familiar with the Spider since her colleague is world renowned for robotic RYN and has taught all over the world. They looked into the spider but felt it was not of any advantage to them as Dr's and that there were still too many things to be worked out. The 5 tiny little scars I have are already almost invisible and I am less than three weeks out. Fortunately prior to being a gastric surgeon my doctor was a plastic surgeon for many years. I had no bruising, no drain and five small (glued) incisions, no external stitching at all. I am too old to care.. I'm sure if I were in my 20's it may make a huge difference. :-)

I do have a friend who had her's done through her belly button by another surgeon, expected one hole, but still ended up with two others for unknown reasons, so she still had 3 scars.

My tummy is not that favorable especially after my son. I'm thinking more about less pain spots. However I don't know if it's safer with the regular five than with one, whichever is better for my surgeon to do, I'm all for it.

Mine was done laparoscopically with the main/largest incision through the naval, and 4 other tiny "nicks" around my abdomen for the other tools needed to perform the procedure. My surgeon explained to me he has performed a single incision lap procedure thru the naval, but wasn't as comfortable with that approach and a 2nd tiny incision was always needed anyway in order to manipulate the forceps and hold the liver out of the way. So he reverted to a more traditional lap approach with the 5 total incisions and finds that preferable.

I agree with happy1957 in regards to not picking a surgeon because he does the spider. I picked the best doctor (in my opinion of course) and he just happens to do the spider. I have a ton of scars already from previous surgeries, so a few more wouldn't have bothered me.

Having said that I do think it is GREAT when a doctor is willing to learn new technology. My surgeon had already done a ton of them succesfully so I wasn't his guinea pig either. :cool: Some doctors stay stagnant and I wouldn't let them operate on me. I want surgeons at the top of their game. In the end I was THRILLED with the spider. I had absolutely NO pain, discomfort etc. No outside staples or drain.It is like it was not there. So like Kiki said, there is less places for it to hurt and I suppose less places to potentially get infected, bleed etc. I also didn't feel like I had done a ton of sit ups like many claim.

Best wishes finding an awesome surgeon!

My surgeon uses the "spider" (navel) and he explained it to me in advance and answered my questions. He also has a video about it on his website.

I wouldn't do it open! No need for that anymore.

What she said. (We have the same doc) :)

My incision is still healing, but it amazes me that a major surgery happened through one tiny 2 inch incision on my navel. I can already tell that the scar will be basically invisible. It was glued together. Fantastic!

I already chose a surgeon, well at least the hospital. Four doctors at my hospital do it. My bf had her surgery done almost ten years ago and so far Ive met another person, that had her surgery done by him, so I'm comfortable choosing him. I will officially meet him in three weeks so of I'm not feeling him, then Ill go with another doctor.

I HAD MY SURGERY DONE LAPAROSCOPIC WITH ONE INCISION THROUGH MY NAVAL MY DOC SAID B4 SURGERY HE MIGHT HAVE TO DO ANOTHER INCISION ON MY RIGHT SIDE, BUT AFTER SURGERY HE SAID IT WASN'T NEEDED. I'M GLAD BECAUSE THIS WAS MY FIRST SURGERY EVER AND I HAVE NO KIDS. THEY USED THE SURGICAL GLUE AND ITS HEALING NICELY I CAN BARELY SEE THE INCISION!

I had my surgery on Tues Jan,10 and they went through my navel also then 2 very small insisionsbelow my breast right above my navel they took out those staples on my 2nd day but I still have 6 staples in my navele which will come out on Wed on my 1st Dr apt no pain only gas.It was not bad at all coming outta recovery was tough Major pain and nasuea but they took care of that within minuetes.I had a Great experiance at the hospital.Got to come home thur and ive only had 2 doses of pain meds since I came home mostly for my lower back thats really bothering me trying to walk as much as possible also.So don't be afraid its not that bad and good luck to everyone.